Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Film and lenses for Bolivia?

I have to travel soon to Talcahuano Chile and I like to take some different kit on each trip.
The SMC Pentax-M 1:2.8 40mm pancake
is a bit difficult to use. However it is versatile and takes colorful photos with nice contrast.
https://app.box.com/s/cli4ecy9pw4601vji3l0
https://app.box.com/s/625ca6d099fd8409cb6c

It has been to many countries; sometimes on the ist ds and sometimes on the 35mm slrs
Stayed in friendly budget hotels...
https://app.box.com/s/yxdpwhcebarasu2uywbo

but I don't recall taking it to Chile, so it will be on the Pentax MX which has a roll of Fuji 200 C41 in it.

The Baby Crown will go, with an RH10 6x7 back with some Ektar 100 and on the front will be the Graftar f/4.5 103mm in a Century Synchromatic shutter. The camera rangefinder will be pre-set to infinity with a small amount of forward tilt so I don't have to take the ground glass.

Last trip to Peru I was walking around Mira Flores to find shops still processing film. I found one and it was fun , but the negs looked a bit washed out like this.....
https://app.box.com/s/7f67xf8q0bynvz5luy65

compared to the negs I process at home.

My eye doctor , who just did one of my cataracts and put a really sharp inter-ocular lens in the MX focussing eye, says I must go to see Pumapunku in Bolivia "Every engineer should go there and wonder how they did it"

have been as far south as Arequipa and Cusco, and as far north as Mejillones, but so far i never went in to Bolivia.

Has anybody been to Bolivia?

I wonder if the camera marketing guys look at posts like this and mutter about
the tightwad baby-boomers still preferring to travel around with gear sold 40~60 years ago!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
11-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My brother did Bolivia way back. He borrowed my Minolta 16. It's still lying around here somewhere. He found it the perfect size for travel. No batteries. Easy to operate. What more do we want from a camera?
11-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I believe I still have an ME Super somewhere, but who knows where. Hmmmmmmm, just might have a very good lens on it. If I remember, there were a couple of M lenses in that bag...50mm f1.7, 135mm f2.5, and a Vivitar 28mm f2.5. I guess it is worthwhile looking for it. Off I go.
11-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
Forum Member

Film and lenses in Bolivia

I was in Bolivia, Peru and Chile 6 years ago, this was before I went digital. I carried an LX with winder loaded with Fuji 200 colour film. I also carried an MX with winder loaded with Kodak TMax 100 film. Lenses carried were 50mm 1.2, 15mm, 24mm and an 85mm. I processed the B&W myself when I got home and had a local lab process the colour film. When in Bolivia, go to the witches' market in La Paz and if you can, travel the salt flats in the south and check out the 'Railway Cemetary' just outside of Uyuni. The colours of the country and the garb of the people is spectaculor.

11-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Asahi,
I did some search and decided that..
to stay in La Paz to visit the Pumapunku site would also require another day or so on a Lake Titicaca visit. And with your suggestion, a day or 2 or 3 in La Paz !

Mostly retired now, I am going on this trip next week for a longer time and different purpose than I expected, about 6 days on industrial sites in Chile , so I will put off the Bolivia visit till later.
Regards,
11-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
Forum Member

Film and lenses for Bolivia

Dear Wombat,
Understand your plight...where in Chile are you going? May I suggest the Atacama Desert, San Pedro, Tatio geysers, Valley of the Moon or further south Alqui Valley,Le Serena and my fave...Valparaiso.

Cheers,
Asahi67
11-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
I remember it being extremely bright on the Altiplano in Bolivia, bad enough to hurt the eyes.....in order to concentrate on enjoying the experience, rather than fiddling with cameras all the time, I just used some disposable cameras....mistake, none of the pics came out well, unsurprisingly. Lesson learned. If I went again I'd take a suitcase full of ND filters.
11-14-2014, 02:00 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Wombat,

I travelled the Altiplano and Chile & Argentina some years ago with an ME Super, 50mm f1.7, 28mm f2.8 and 75-150 f4. I made a jeep tour from Uyuni across the salt lake to the Chilean border, where I saw some of the most surreal landscapes and colours.

Considering industrial sites, and beside what Asahi67 mentioned you might also want to see some of the abandoned salpeter towns in northern Chile and you could also visit Chuquicamata copper mine, the largest in the world. Both not too far away from Bolivia.