Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Specialty Color Services Home Page

Last edited by jgredline; 05-21-2008 at 10:59 AM.
05-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi folks.
This has been a very enjoyable read, Thank you all!!!
I found out my roll was sent here to process Specialty Color Services Home Page and they are on true black and white paper. I have pretty much decided to do my own processing so I will be asking many questions I am sure. In fact, if anyone knows of a kit or something, I am all ears or eyes in this case..
05-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #33

Agree About Tmax

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
So I guess I am not the only one to dislike Tmax?

I remember trying it years ago and found its contrast to be a bit "muddy" for lack of a better word...

Pat
No Pat, you are not the only one. I have shot Tmax recently and was not that thrilled with the results, compared to TriX. It does look better if printed on real B&W paper but then if you have a lab that does that, you probably have a lab that will develop your TriX.
05-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Hi folks.
This has been a very enjoyable read, Thank you all!!!
I found out my roll was sent here to process Specialty Color Services Home Page and they are on true black and white paper. I have pretty much decided to do my own processing so I will be asking many questions I am sure. In fact, if anyone knows of a kit or something, I am all ears or eyes in this case..
Yes, this has been an interesting read. And I think I'm going to go down the same path as you, and try doing my own processing. So now I'm trying to hunt down what I'll need to do it. A kit to get me started would be great!

05-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
So I guess I am not the only one to dislike Tmax?

I remember trying it years ago and found its contrast to be a bit "muddy" for lack of a better word...

Pat
That's exactly why I don't like it! Muddy. It's not just a lack of contrast, it's like it's permanently underexposed by about 2/3 of a stop, because everything looks dark. Maybe it can cough up something if you're the kinda guy who carries around a few dozen colour filters, but, to put it synaesthetically, viewing it is like eating uncooked dough made with flour and water and nothing else.

It's the complete opposite of Tri-X. Fuji and Ilford's T-grained BW film are much, much better. They've got personality, and grain just as fine.

Considering it's about half as expensive again for the same speed as Tri-X, it's not much of an option.

Too be honest, I haven't tried it much. Maybe if I could get it in, say, a 12-shot roll, I would. But all the shots I've seen on the web aren't fantastic - say, after a quick google, this one. Not right.
05-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I looked at the Specialty Color Services Web page, and I found it interesting. For me, while developing can be done at home (with an investment in equipment), the printing is where the issue lies. I do not know if I want to trust my prints to scanning and printing with home-based equipment. I may give Specialty Color Services a try (via mail order). I have been pondering the issue of processing for years, and still do not have answer...one that will provide quality at an acceptable cost.
05-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Tri-x is one of my favorite b/w films for sure. Looks amazing even pushed to 800 and 1600.

I'm should be starting doing my own developing soon as well. D76 for sure. Super versatile developer.

05-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
I looked at the Specialty Color Services Web page, and I found it interesting. For me, while developing can be done at home (with an investment in equipment), the printing is where the issue lies. I do not know if I want to trust my prints to scanning and printing with home-based equipment. I may give Specialty Color Services a try (via mail order). I have been pondering the issue of processing for years, and still do not have answer...one that will provide quality at an acceptable cost.
If you are going to go the mail order route, give Foto Express a call and get a price sheet from them too. I believe their prices are better and the results are excellent. Here is a link to their Yahoo! Local page:

Foto Express, San Jose, CA : reviews

I have no affiliation with this lab other than it is where I have my TriX developed and printed and am a VERY satisfied customer. Get your prints done with a white border, worth the extra money ($2 if I remember).

Russell
05-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you like film, you'll love "real" photos...

If you have the room and inclination, a conventional "wet" darkroom is wonderful, and the only way to go IMO.
The cost is less than you'd think. People can't give away enlargers nowadays.

Chris
05-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Good advice, Russell and Chris. I will give Foto Express a call. How are they with C-41 color?

Thanks,
Glen
05-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I called Foto Express. They do not use B&W paper. They use color paper. Thus, their processing is the same as what I have available here.

Specialty Color Services, however, is the real deal: dip-and-dunk and true B&W paper. This is quite rare. Rarer yet is the fact that they offer true full-frame printing--for example, 5"x7.5, not 5"x7". This is exciting. The only negative (no pun intended) is the cost of shipping. I have been looking for a true photo lab for over a year, and had gotten tired of calling around...thanks, Javier!

Regards,
Glen
05-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
I called Foto Express. They do not use B&W paper. They use color paper. Thus, their processing is the same as what I have available here.

Specialty Color Services, however, is the real deal: dip-and-dunk and true B&W paper. This is quite rare. Rarer yet is the fact that they offer true full-frame printing--for example, 5"x7.5, not 5"x7". This is exciting. The only negative (no pun intended) is the cost of shipping. I have been looking for a true photo lab for over a year, and had gotten tired of calling around...thanks, Javier!

Regards,
Glen
Your welcome. I wish I could share the actual prints. They are amazing, like nothing I have seen in years. It would seem to me that we (the customer) could request that they e mail us the images after processing so we can choose what we want printed. Of course there will be a charge for this, but why have 36 images printed when you only need 5? or so...
05-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I agree with your idea about printing...especially since my keeper rate is not that high.
05-21-2008, 10:05 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really nice shots. Like someone else said, it makes me want to get out my old tank & trays.

Here is a link to Kodak's overview of the processing chemicals, etc.:
KODAK PROFESSIONAL Photographic Chemicals

When I was a kid & up through college I did a lot of darkroom work, lots of Tri-X and other films. D-76 developer is probably your best bet, though I also used D-19, DK-50 and Microdol-X of the Kodak chems. As for film, you might try Plus-X (or modern equivalent) ISO 125 for finer grain. I don't know if they still make an equivalent, but the finest grain used to be Panatomic-X (of the Kodak films) ISO 32 - really sparkling negs, but maybe they don't make it anymore it was so slow.

It takes some practice opening a film cartridge and loading it into the spiral reel of a developing tank, totally in the dark just by feel. If you don't get the film positioned correctly in the reel (e.g., one layer touches another layer of the roll preventing fluid access) you may get some ruined negs. If you try your own developing shoot off a practice roll or two that you can afford to ruin and use them to start. However, it is not that hard, I don't want to discourage you. It is a real blast seeing that first roll once you're done and can take it out of the tank to see them. Even if you later decide to let the lab do the negs you'll be glad you had the experience.
05-22-2008, 01:18 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Javier, Tyler, and Fritz, if you want B&W darkroom and printing supplies, Adorama's website is a good place to start.