Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #1

K2 exposure factor question

Howdy.

Been browsing the forum, picking up lots of good info, and admiring some beautiful cameras. Now, I have an actual question.

I just got a black K2. The ASA, while not easy to set, is fairly doable. The problem I'm having is with the exposure factor setting. I want it on 1, figuring I'll usually shoot in manual mode and make my own exposure adjustments. When I move the ring to set it ti 1, it bumps my ASA setting off a bit. Fix the ASA, I'm off of the 1 a bit.

Am I missing something? Doing something wrong?

Note: this rig will get a trip to Tennessee for a CLA soon, I just wanted to run a roll through my new toy first. Is it Likely a CLA will solve my problem?

Thanks.

11-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note that you must depress the ASA ring unlock button before the ASA ring can turn independently of the EV ring.

But it is probably the case that the ASA and the EV rings are not moving freely of each other. This is typical for the K2 - the only Pentax with this poor design. A CLA should take care of it.
11-18-2014, 06:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
I was thinking it was probably just a case of age, use and accumulated grime making things not move freely. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Thanks.
11-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I hope you get it sorted out. The K2 is a great camera, even with this unique arrangement.

My K2 does this too because the spring that holds the ASA lock in place broke and was removed. It makes ASA much easier to set, but getting the exposure compensation aligned correctly took some effort the first time because everything was gunked together. After a bit of exercise, it works great. The ASA ring is still difficult to turn, so the missing lock-spring isn't really missed.

11-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
I'm eager to try the K2. I cut my photographic teeth on a K1000, and currently have and use a few. I like them and will never be without one. I've been using a KX lately, and have grown to like it very much. I'm expecting the K2 to be similarly pleasing.
11-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I also started with a K1000. The KX is my favorite for B&W (TX400); the K2 my favorite for slide film (Velvia 50).
After using the "big three", its hard to use a little MX.
11-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
I agree. I have an MX, an ME and two ME Supers. Fine cameras all, but they get no love from me because of their size. My 7-year-old son has claimed one of the Supers, and it seems to suit him, size-wise. But for me, give me a hefty K.

11-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lenscap Quote
I'm eager to try the K2. I cut my photographic teeth on a K1000, and currently have and use a few. I like them and will never be without one. I've been using a KX lately, and have grown to like it very much. I'm expecting the K2 to be similarly pleasing.
K2 and K2DMD won't disappoint you...they are much better than the KX IMO, much more capable.

In the end the KX for me it's little more than a K1000/KM with a better center balanced lightmeter, the K2 on the other is an almost professional camera...I never understood why Pentax didn't offer the K2DMD with interchangeble screens and finders to compete against the Canon F-1 and Nikon F2 in the 70s, it would have been a more serious threat than the MX.
11-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #9

Original Poster
If I remember correctly, the main addition to the DMD (other than motor drive, of course) was the Judas window. Is that about right? That's not a feature I use much on the KX. Partly from habit, probably, having never had the option before. Also, my style of shooting (static scenes where DOF matters more than other factors) lends itself to having the aperture set and changing shutter speeds for proper exposure, so I 'm less likely to need to check the little window. Of course, that's not true 100% of the time.
11-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K2 DMD has few features more than the standard K2 and were meant to appeal the "professionals" of that era (databack, motordrive), but the standard K2 is already a much more capable camera than the KX, it's aperture priority and if you are into DOF that should be much more useful than the judas window.
11-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #11

Original Poster
I got my first K1000 when I was 14. At that time, I thought the lack of a motor drive was the ONLY thing keeping me from a gig with Nat Geo.
11-18-2014, 06:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Looking at old magazine ads you definitely have to be a pro to afford a motor drive as they typically listed for more than the bodies!
11-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #13

Original Poster
Oddly enough, I now have a winder MEII, and care nothing for it. I'll put it on occasionally for that '70's "pro sound", but it does nothing for me in a practical sense. Maybe if I shot faster...
11-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
..the standard K2 is already a much more capable camera than the KX, it's aperture priority and if you are into DOF that should be much more useful than the judas window.
True, the K2 does have aperture priority AE, but more capable?
The functional equivalent of aperture priority is performed easily on any manual exposure camera
simply by preselecting the desired aperture, then using the shutter speed suggested by the meter.

For me the aperture readout in the finder (KX, MX and K2DMD) is a far more valuable feature than AE.
The time spent removing one's eye from the viewfinder (to set aperture on the K2 for instance) can mean a shot (or more) lost.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 11-18-2014 at 07:36 PM.
11-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #15

Original Poster
There are many shots where, to me at least, aperture is not critical. (Candid shot of Little Timmy petting Lassie in the yard, for example. Cute pic, but DOF doesn't matter much.) In those cases, f/8 or f/11 or f/5.6 or whatever is fine. For exposure, I may adjust shutter speed, or I may adjust aperture. In any case, I don't look for the aperture in the Judas window because it doesn't matter.
For shots where the DOF is important, I'll usually (but certainly not always) set the aperture before composing the shot. In those cases, the Judas window still doesn't really come into play, because I am holding at, say, f/4, with shutter speed being variable.
This is how I usually do it, but I am by no means suggesting everyone should do it my way. If we all did it the same, Pentax would have only needed to produce one model of camera.