Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah until the LX the only Pentax camera with interchangeable viewfinders was the 6x7. That would have been “the” Pentax pro camera during the 1970’s.

Phil.

11-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lenscap Quote
Given the different metering systems, what should I notice in the pictures taken with one vs the other?
Other than the already mentioned differences between “average” and “center weighted” metering systems, the SPD (Silicon Photo Diode) cells are faster reacting and more accurate than the older CdS from the Spotmatic days.

Phil.
11-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

99% of my exposures are 1/30 of a second or less, as are I suspect those of most photographers.
I'd trade theoretical infinite autoexposure for real-world photographic tool AE exposure lock any day.

Chris
11-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Fortunately for us, to date the LX is still the only camera ever made - by any company that I am aware of, that can aperture priority auto expose a scene for as long as it takes - or batteries die, while monitoring the scene in real time and adjusting exposure time accordingly. I wish I had known about this earlier when I required long exposure times - Canons max at 30 seconds, Minolta and Nikon various and unreliable, Olympus OM2 up to 19 minutes others seconds.
This is incorrect. The Canon EOS 1N and 1V both have the Av or Tv exposure up to a minute. It does not mean that the scene will be monitored in real time beyond that for correct exposure because reciprocity is not accounted for by the camera — that is something the photographer has to factor in beyond the film's exposure threshold.

---------- Post added 23-11-14 at 12:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
99% of my exposures are 1/30 of a second or less, as are I suspect those of most photographers.
I'd trade theoretical infinite autoexposure for real-world photographic tool AE exposure lock any day.

Chris
"... most photographers" ???
I don't think so. Consider the wide variations of conditions in which photographers shoot.

11-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
This is incorrect. The Canon EOS 1N and 1V both have the Av or Tv exposure up to a minute. It does not mean that the scene will be monitored in real time beyond that for correct exposure because reciprocity is not accounted for by the camera — that is something the photographer has to factor in beyond the film's exposure threshold.
I used the EOS1 & 3 for years and they max out aperture priority to 30 seconds as described in page 60 and 67 of the EOS1 & 3 manuals, "If the 30” shutter speed blinks, it indicates underexposure. Turn the < > dial to set a larger aperture (smaller F-number) until the shutter speed stops blinking."

I also tested the AE-1, A-1, New F-1 and their various DSLRs. This is interesting because I always hear folks cite the limitation as being film's reciprocity which of course doesn't apply to DSLRs but Canon still kept the limit.

Of course I could be mistaken but 1 minute is still far less then I need . . .

Last edited by LesDMess; 11-23-2014 at 10:23 AM.
11-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
SPD (Silicon Photo Diode) cells are faster reacting and more accurate than the older CdS from the Spotmatic days.
I can't speak to accuracy except to say that I get the same readings from my CdS bodies as from my SPD bodies. The big difference aside from reaction time is linear range and sensitivity. SPD allows for linear response with significantly less light than CdS (+1.0 vs. +3.0 EV100 respectively).

Steve
11-23-2014, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Chris
It has never even dawned on me that there are surveys conducted on what shutter speeds most photographers use! I suppose there must be surveys/samples conducted so that they can maximize profit potentials by adding what are most used and remove what are not.

I suppose auto aperture times were hard coded based on metering accuracy of their designs. Even though the Pentax LX has a published spec of 125 seconds, I am glad they didn't hard code it to stop then as it gives me the latitude to experiment as I see fit. Fortunately it seems to work just fine as I have tested hours long auto exposures as in this >8 hour auto exposure on Kodak Gold 100.

11-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #53

Original Poster
LesDMess, that's a stunning photo. 8 hours? Jeepers! Seems like a lot could go wrong in 8 hours...bugs, fog, wind, tsunami, whatever.
11-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LesDMess, that's a stunning photo. 8 hours? Jeepers! Seems like a lot could go wrong in 8 hours...bugs, fog, wind, tsunami, whatever.
Moral of the story: don't mess around with LesDMess...he know his sh!t.
11-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It has never even dawned on me that there are surveys conducted on what shutter speeds most photographers use!
Most 35mm film photographers I see aren't toting around tripods or other supports.
I'm confident they're using hand-holdable shutter speeds most of the time.

Surprised I don't bump into the occasional time exposure fan.
After all they spend so much time in one place!

I suppose there must be surveys/samples conducted so that they can maximize profit potentials by adding what are most used and remove what are not.
Indeed! Many camera models have AE exposure lock; few have long time AE capability...

Chris
11-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LX uberalles!!

Most 35mm film photographers I see aren't toting around tripods or other supports.

Surprised I don't bump into the occasional time exposure fan.
After all they spend so much time in one place!

Indeed! Many camera models have AE exposure lock; few have long time AE capability...

Chris
And yet it would seem that an AE lock would have been easy to implement. Oh well.... The LX is still one of the finest manual focus 35mm SLRs ever made by anyone, anywhere.
11-23-2014, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

Thanks! But a lot can go right so it all depends if you are a half full or half empty type. This one was >40minutes using aperture priority with the LX of a night shot of Hoover Dam on Kodak Ektar 100.

---------- Post added 11-23-14 at 05:37 PM ----------

A tripod can be used even if I using motion stopping speed too. Keeps me in the same reference point.

Actually the LX is the only one that I am aware of that can do this and I certainly appreciate - and utilize, that unique ability too!

---------- Post added 11-23-14 at 05:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
And yet it would seem that an AE lock would have been easy to implement. Oh well.... The LX is still one of the finest manual focus 35mm SLRs ever made by anyone, anywhere.
In my use that would preclude the use of real time monitoring and adjusting for lighting changes of the scene. This is of course my preference so for that purpose the LX truly is the finest ever made by anyone, anywhere . . . to date . . .

Last edited by LesDMess; 11-23-2014 at 03:37 PM.
11-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #58

That shot of the Hoover Dam is a major contributor to my wanting an LX...

That said, the K2 and the electronic M-bodies can produce far longer exposures on automatic than the shutter speed dial suggests. I've seen thirty second exposures before now (timed it with my watch out of curiosity) and had properly exposed film back.
11-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my use that would preclude the use of real time monitoring and adjusting for lighting changes of the scene. This is of course my preference so for that purpose the LX truly is the finest ever made by anyone, anywhere . . . to date . . .
Surely both capabilities could have been implemented.

As you may already surmise I don't make long exposures.
Without exposure lock AE is pretty much useless to me.
A contributing factor to me selling my LX, no doubt...

Chris
11-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Surely both capabilities could have been implemented.

As you may already surmise I don't make long exposures.
Without exposure lock AE is pretty much useless to me.
A contributing factor to me selling my LX, no doubt...

Chris
That is why we have such a great community that is willing to share information to help us identify features and functions to hopefully make buying decisions easier based on our style!