Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2014, 05:44 AM   #1

Pentax MG sticky shutter

Hey all. I've just got this Pentax MG that had some troubles. I managed to unlock the mirror by lightly pressing down the shutter curtain so I can now see out the viewfinder. It takes photos now, but it seems as though something is 'sticking' as when I advance the film. I can depress the shutter but I get no mirror movement (can still see through the viewfinder). I can get it to take photos again by prompting (hitting) it, but again, something locks up. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

11-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Hey...
QuoteOriginally posted by titsmcgee852 Quote
...get no mirror movement (can still see through the viewfinder).
You mean that the mirror remains stationary while the shutter fully fires?
If the mirror operating arm detached from the stud that carries the mirror... the fix would require dis-assembly to fix.
If the shutter does not complete the full travel from full open to close, then it might be the bumpers in the shutter sticking. A bent reset arm that operates the part of the winding process can be possible as well.
So... depending on what is observed as working seemingly right may help with what is not working.
11-25-2014, 07:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
Sorry, I meant to say some other things but I couldn't edit my post. The film advance and level work fine. After I've taken a photo, I advance the film and go to press the shutter, the shutter depresses fully though it does so without clicking, which leads me to believe that the mirror is stuck in the upwards position. I can lightly touch the shutter (or bang the camera) to allow the mirror to pop down again. Hope that clears things up, thanks for your reply.
11-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Probably needs new seals and mirror foam. I've got to the stage with my older film cameras that I don't use them until they've had a CLA from Robin or Eric.

K.

11-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
If you can advance the film and the mirror shows no sign of adhering, it sounds like the bumper are the cause as well as the reset arm for the mirror is gummed up.
04-06-2015, 05:07 PM   #6

I think I am having this problem. Was there a fix?
04-07-2015, 04:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes. Replace the mirror foam and do the light seals while you're about it. K.