Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Keeping Track of Film

So my local film developer closed up shop a few months back and I have quite a few rolls of different films ready for developing. I don't have the equipment to develop film myself anymore; so I was wondering if I sent it away, are there any recommendations for places willing to identify which pictures (scanned to disc or downloadable from their site) came from which roll of film?

11-26-2014, 07:00 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dwayne's Can Help

I use Dwayne's Photo (A trusted name in photo processing for over 50 years - Dwayne's Photo) for my developing. For every roll (35mm) I send them, I write some identifying information on the plastic canister which contains the roll. For the return trip, the results of each roll is placed in it's own envelop, with the same identifying info written on it.

Typically, the only info I care about is which camera I used and the date I finished the roll. For example, I'd write "KX 11-16-14" on the canister, and that's what is on the envelope when the work is returned.

I should point out that this happened completely by accident. I had written the info on the canisters for my own benefit while the undeveloped film was still in my possession, assuming that the canister would get tossed at the lab and that would be the end of it. I was pleasantly surprised to find the information copied to the envelops when the developed film was returned.

And turnaround time isn't too bad. I recently mailed three rolls on a Friday (from Maryland to Kansas). Dwayne's received it on Monday and had the results in the mail to me that Friday. That worked out nicely, as the weekends were used for shipping time.

EDIT: I neglected to mention the CDs... Dwayne's does not label them. But you can do that yourself since the envelop has the information you need.

Fred

Last edited by hollywoodfred; 11-27-2014 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Added info on CD labeling.
11-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply Fred. It looks like I'll be sending some film to them shortly.
11-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I never had that problem because my film cameras are different enough to not need further identification.
Yeah, I have four Pentax cameras loaded with different films now, and that doesn't include all my other cameras and lenses. I keep B&W in my K2 DMD always, so it's easy to identify that camera, but after a few rolls I can't always remember which lens or type of color film was used with one camera or another.

11-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My local lab, Gordon's Photo Service in Carson City NV, transcribes what I write on the film cartridge to the envelope. You can call them and ask if they will accept film mailed in from you. I don't know how much they might charge for sending it back.

Gordon's Photo Service | Contact
11-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice, thanks Boris. It looks like Gordon's has a mail order form on their site under Services.
11-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I can't always remember which lens or type of color film was used with one camera or another

I have a notebook (journal) that I record each roll of film I shoot. I list the camera used and for each outing with that roll of film/camera, I list the date, lenses/filter and location.

I does not take much time and really helps you remember after you get the roll back from processing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I do have trouble remembering what film is loaded in a particular camera and sometimes if a camera has film in it at all

If the camera has the film reminder holder slot on the back that helps, or some older Pentax cameras have a dial that you can select the number of frames in the roll and if it’s colour or b&w. Otherwise the journal works for me.

Phil.

11-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice, thanks Boris. It looks like Gordon's has a mail order form on their site under Services.

Ahh, good! I see it too. You could emphasize in your instructions for them to transcribe your notes from the film cartridge or a notepad to the film envelope. My notes almost always say "Dev only / Do not cut" and the camera I shot the roll with if I submit more than one roll.
12-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
are there any recommendations for places willing to identify which pictures (scanned to disc or downloadable from their site) came from which roll of film?
Here are a few points:
  • The important thing is to have a way to uniquely identify each frame. I number my scan files sequentially and save them into directories by roll.
  • If you are having the scans done for you, they will likely be numbered by frame. You can still store them in directories by roll and if you use Lightroom or a similar product, you can assign a roll number as a prefix on import and add appropriate tags as metadata. That combination of roll number and frame number will be unique.
  • I print proof sheets from Lightroom using thumbnails from the scans and put those in loose leaf binders along with the negatives. Each image is in order and labeled and the rows correspond to the strips in the negative sheets.
  • Cataloging is done using Lightroom
  • I also keep a relational database with all the processing information and other notes, but that is more of a geek thing

Steve