Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2014, 11:34 PM   #31
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
long live the Myghty Spotmatic!I finally got a blackie F!
Looks like great addition to your collection!

Phil.

12-07-2014, 12:50 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
long live the Mighty Spotmatic!I finally got a blackie F!
From somebody who never used it by the look of it. What a great find. Enjoy it.
It probably needs a service simply because of its age and lack of use.
12-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #33
IHS

long live the Myghty Spotmatic!I finally got a blackie F!
Gorgeous...Congrats! I've only got two spotmatics. A SP and a SPII. Hopefully I'll pick up an F in decent shape before too long. Happy Annv. Spotmatic!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
12-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #34
Site Supporter

I recently bought a like-new Asahi Pentax SP1000 from eBay.uk and had it serviced by Eric.
I prefer the SP1000 for it's simplicity, i.e. no self-timer or hot shoe. It's a wonderful camera.

Chris

12-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
From somebody who never used it by the look of it. What a great find. Enjoy it.
It probably needs a service simply because of its age and lack of use.
I wasn't that lucky, the camera is slightly used, there is some debrassing on the prism and buttom but nothing serious. For some strange reasons it doesn't allow the Takumar to be used in "manual" mode, I think there is some damage, but all the rest is fine. The lightmeter reads "darker" than my chromed one though...the difference is between f1.8 and f1.4, more or less, I wonder which one is the most accurate.

It came with that early SMC Tak 50mm f1.4 and it appears it reads the exposure wide open like with the rubber ones, even if it should not be.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I recently bought a like-new Asahi Pentax SP1000 from eBay.uk and had it serviced by Eric.
I prefer the SP1000 for it's simplicity, i.e. no self-timer or hot shoe. It's a wonderful camera.

Chris
I must confess that I also have a soft spot for my Honeywell SP1000: without hot shoe and self timer it looks more...streamlined I assume. For everyday use I prefer the F because it meters with the lens wide open but the SP1000 is nicer and feels smaller than her daughter, the K1000, and unlike the latter they don't charge heavy prices even if it's basically the same camera in a smaller package.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 12-07-2014 at 02:13 PM.
12-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #36
Pentaxian

My Spottie... an early model according to Eric.

Asahi Pentax Spotmatic par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

K.
12-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #37
dms
Site Supporter

"I wonder which one is the most accurate."

If you take a reading from a clear blue sky--when the sun is reasonably high above the horizon (about 60 to 90 degrees), it should give you 1/iso at f/16. This is accurate enough to be a standard calibration method, but it doesn't tell you if the lens or the meter is off. And if the lens has many elements f stop and t stop (what you want) will be different. Nevertheless for practical purposes, you want the reading to be 1/iso at f/16 (or the equivalent) with the lens you are using at the taking f/stop.
12-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
"I wonder which one is the most accurate."

If you take a reading from a clear blue sky--when the sun is reasonably high above the horizon (about 60 to 90 degrees), it should give you 1/iso at f/16. This is accurate enough to be a standard calibration method, but it doesn't tell you if the lens or the meter is off. And if the lens has many elements f stop and t stop (what you want) will be different. Nevertheless for practical purposes, you want the reading to be 1/iso at f/16 (or the equivalent) with the lens you are using at the taking f/stop.
This is a technique I always use if I'm outdoors on a sunny day to double-check my camera's meter. I have a variety of old cameras, some of which use zinc-air batteries instead of the old mercury ones. Those zinc-airs are good replacements, but they just don't last that long, so checking the meter against the clear blue sky is a habit I've gotten into, along with carrying plenty of spares.

Knowing what is 18% gray around you helps as well. Green grass is 18% gray and on a sunny day will give you the sunny f/16 rule as well.

12-08-2014, 04:46 AM   #39

I wasn't that lucky, the camera is slightly used, there is some debrassing on the prism and buttom but nothing serious. For some strange reasons it doesn't allow the Takumar to be used in "manual" mode.
Have a look at the lens mount and the back of the lens.

If it's like the ES and ESII you'll see a circular groove in the mount. There's a pin on the back of the lens (both rubber and metal grip Super-Multi-Coated and SMC) which drops into this groove and stops you from selecting manual on the lens. Put the lens on an earlier body without the groove and it'll behave like a Super Takumar.

All SMC Takumars should give you open-aperture metering on a Spotmatic F/ES/ESII. They have a metal tab on the back which moves as you turn the aperture ring, just like a K mount lens.
12-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
If you take a reading from a clear blue sky--when the sun is reasonably high above the horizon (about 60 to 90 degrees), it should give you 1/iso at f/16.
The sun gets that high for people living around latitude 35 or less. And that is EV15 if you point your Pentax one-degree spotmeter in the sky. I get EV14 often way up here at N48 and especially in the fall/winter when the Sun has a negative declination. So I use the Sunny 11 Rule more than the Sunny 16.

Last edited by tuco; 12-08-2014 at 08:01 AM.
12-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #41
Site Supporter

My first SLR was a Spotmatic that I bought used in 1979. A couple of years later I was looking to upgrade it as I wanted a camera with a hot-shoe as I was getting tired of messing around with a L-bracket, sync cables and flash unit.

I went into my local B&M store to see what they had and what they would offer for a trade-in. I was given the option of trading it in on a brand new Ricoh SLR with a bayonet mount or a used Spotmatic II for the same money. I went with the SPII as that meant I could still use my M42 lenses.
12-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Back from the late 1980s through the mid-1990s, I was a camera dealer. During this time, I owned several Spotmatics, but they were always acquired as inventory, and I never used any of them. A few months ago, I came across a clean SP in a nice leather case with a 50/1.4 Super Tak at a thrift store for the ridiculous price of $12, so I bought it. But this time I didn't buy it to make a quick buck. It went into my working inventory. I already had a few M42 lenses that I use occasionally with my EOS DSLR: a Yashica Yashinon 50/1.7, a Helios 44M, and a very nice, very late SMCT 100mm f/4 macro with rubberized focusing collar and metal hood. Everything works perfectly on this camera, except I haven't tried out the meter yet. I've had some difficulty finding the correct battery to fit it.

I use the 675 zinc-air to replace the PX625 mercury batteries that my Canons used. I note that the Spotmatic took the PX400 and that a 387S is a 1.55v replacement that will work because of its bridge circuit. I haven't had much luck finding a replacement cell for it yet. Anybody know of a zinc-air cell that would work with this camera?
12-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Back from the late 1980s through the mid-1990s, I was a camera dealer. During this time, I owned several Spotmatics, but they were always acquired as inventory, and I never used any of them. A few months ago, I came across a clean SP in a nice leather case with a 50/1.4 Super Tak at a thrift store for the ridiculous price of $12, so I bought it. But this time I didn't buy it to make a quick buck. It went into my working inventory. I already had a few M42 lenses that I use occasionally with my EOS DSLR: a Yashica Yashinon 50/1.7, a Helios 44M, and a very nice, very late SMCT 100mm f/4 macro with rubberized focusing collar and metal hood. Everything works perfectly on this camera, except I haven't tried out the meter yet. I've had some difficulty finding the correct battery to fit it.

I use the 675 zinc-air to replace the PX625 mercury batteries that my Canons used. I note that the Spotmatic took the PX400 and that a 387S is a 1.55v replacement that will work because of its bridge circuit. I haven't had much luck finding a replacement cell for it yet. Anybody know of a zinc-air cell that would work with this camera?
Exell Battery MRB400 Zinc Air Battery 1 35V E400N PX400 EPX400 RM400 T400N H B | eBay

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/...nformation.pdf

Last edited by Cuthbert; 12-09-2014 at 12:46 PM.
12-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #44

I'm reasonably sure that all the Spotmatics will work with an LR or SR battery, if you can find one to fit in the space.

Mine came with a little plastic adapter ring which centres the smaller modern cell in the battery holder, the meter seems accurate enough. The zinc-air cells will last a year regardless of camera usage as they deteriorate once activated, the modern one will last far longer if you only use the camera infrequently.
12-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
I'm reasonably sure that all the Spotmatics will work with an LR or SR battery, if you can find one to fit in the space.
Easily done. The spacer ring + battery come as a set and you can reuse the spacer ring. Do an Internet search on "S400PX" or "V400PX". There are several different brands, but all are essentially the same.

Steve