Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Eyecup for Spotmatic F?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I did a bit of searching for an eyecup for the Spot F, but came up empty (either original or aftermarket). Is there an eyecup that can be had for this camera? There is a slot on either side of the viewfinder's eyepiece, and so that tells me that perhaps there is an eyecup for this camera...somewhere.

Thanks,
Glen

05-23-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spotmatic Eyecup

QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
I did a bit of searching for an eyecup for the Spot F, but came up empty (either original or aftermarket). Is there an eyecup that can be had for this camera? There is a slot on either side of the viewfinder's eyepiece, and so that tells me that perhaps there is an eyecup for this camera...somewhere.

Thanks,
Glen
Glen: There is a rubber eye-shaped (sideways tear-drop) cup with a metal clip that slides down over the eyepiece. I'll open the bits bag again and see if I have two (I do use the one with my KX). If so I will send it -

At one time they were regularly availaible on ebaY at crazy prices - I guess they have all changed camera bags, for now.

Here's an ebaY example that claims to fit the Spot F, but also claims to fit the M's. The viewfinder frame was a bit larger in the M's, so all the Spot and K fitting viewfinder attachements were obsoleted for all M and subsequent bodies.

Eye Cup Eyecup for Pentax K 1000 ME Super MX LX Camera - eBay (item 300226830873 end time May-28-08 07:42:52 PDT)

Paul
05-23-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
Banned

your best bet is the the 3rd party eyecup like the one above. youd be very lucky to find an original asahi pentax eyecup for a spotmatic/K series film camera. pentax had two eyecup types that I am aware of, K and M. the M type like the all rubber fold over eyecupM that I use on my MX and on my K110D do pop up from time to time on ebay and would likely fit onto a spotmatic with a little finessing typically go for an inflated price. I have never seen a pentax K or earlier? eyecup.
05-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thank you, Paul and seamuis. Shortly after posting the message, I found the eBay auction cited by Paul. I will wait until I hear from you, Paul, but which one do you think the auction item fits--the Spots or the Ms?

Thanks,
Glen

05-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Banned

im sure paul will chime in but the auction says
QuoteQuote:
This will fit all of the K mount cameras regardless of the model.
but it also lists spotmatic among the 'compatible' cameras. I doubt it follows pentax sizing but if It fits a K series K mount camera it should fit a spotmatic because im almost certain they have the same viewfinder dimensions. it should be noted however that the dimensions between K and M are only very small differences. and anything compatible with K should work with a spotmatic. A K series is just a spotmatic with a K mount anyway.
05-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, seamuis, I noticed the auction indicates compatibility with both types, but Paul's comments gave me pause. I have already contacted the seller, asking him directly about compatibility. He has not replied yet. I am thinking of just going ahead and making the purchase, as it will fit either my Spot F, ZX-M, or both.

Thanks.
05-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
im sure paul will chime in but the auction says but it also lists spotmatic among the 'compatible' cameras. I doubt it follows pentax sizing but if It fits a K series K mount camera it should fit a spotmatic because im almost certain they have the same viewfinder dimensions. it should be noted however that the dimensions between K and M are only very small differences. and anything compatible with K should work with a spotmatic. A K series is just a spotmatic with a K mount anyway.
Glen:

If it fits a K body it will fit your Spotmatic F. The eyepiece issue is more a problem with the Right-angle finders, since they have a more rigid attachment fitting. You just cannot get the old finders on the M and later eyepieces.

I have purchased from "The Camera Hunter" and was satisfied. I'd bet if they say it will fit a Spot F, it will fit. Maybe the mount is flexible in some way.

As I said, I found one eyecup a couple days ago, but I'm not sure if it is the one I use or a spare. I'll look in my KX bag and in the bits bag after work and PM you.

Paul

05-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Paul...I will look for your PM.

Glen
05-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Paul and seamuis: have you seen this eyecup?...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350060992439

What do you think?
05-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glen: That appears to be similar to the official Spotmatic and K series eyecup. For the price it will certainly serve you until you can find the real thing - then keep it as a backup.

Here is a link to Boz's discussion of the eyepieces and related focusing aids. The picture linked for the K eyecup appears just like the ebaY item illustrated.

Pentax Focusing Aids

BTW, I have not been able to locate a second eyecup so far - and I've opened just about everything. I have misplaced them before, so I'm not surprised.

Paul

Last edited by monochrome; 05-23-2008 at 04:45 PM.
05-24-2008, 04:57 AM   #11
Banned

yea I was going to say what paul said, its modeled after a genuine pentax eyecup which I do remember having a glass piece that covered the actual viewfinder to help keep dirt and such out.
05-24-2008, 09:05 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just tried an OEM Canon A series (AE-1 etc.) eyecup on my SP-F and it fits perfectly.
It is all rubber - no metal to scratch or glass to add reflections.
These are cheap and easy to find...

Chris
05-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A nice find, Chris--thanks
05-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Chris: I was just on eBay looking at eyecups for the Canon A-series cameras. I saw both original Canon eyepices and aftermarket ones. The one that you have tried (that fits) is the original Canon one, right?

Thanks,
Glen
05-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's the original Canon brand eyecup. I'll send you a link via PM...

Chris