Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #1

Architectural Photography

What would be a suitable lens for architectural photography, let's say churches or high-rise buildings?
Once upon a time I used a view camera where I could adjust the perpendicular and horizontal lines before making an exposure.
Is it the software we have to rely upon nowadays?
Roger

12-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

A tilt-shift lens might be what you want. Pentax doesn't sell any but there are third party choices. The link below lists a few. The Samyang 24mm is the most affordable choice at $800 new from B&H. The Schneider models are over $3000.

tilt shift Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
pentax tilt shift | B&H Photo Video

Another option is to use a bellows and medium format lens adapted to a k-mount. Search around PF and you should find threads where others have done that.
12-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Pentax made a K-series shift lens, but it's seldom seen for sale:

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/primes/wide-angle/K28f3.5-Shift.html

Chris
12-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Pentax made a K-series shift lens, but it's seldom seen for sale:
+1 The K28/3.5 Shift would be your best bet.

Phil..

12-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dobson Quote
What would be a suitable lens for architectural photography, let's say churches or high-rise buildings?
Once upon a time I used a view camera where I could adjust the perpendicular and horizontal lines before making an exposure.
Roger
Yes there are numerous software solutions to the issue, you'll naturally lose a little bit of quality, though.
Some Pentax DSLRs allow you to move the sensor by tiny increments to replicate the effect of a tilt-shift lens.
The K 28mm f/3.5 SHIFT is available used, but it's quite expensive...
12-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
+1 The K28/3.5 Shift would be your best bet.

Phil..
I had one when I lived in Chicago, and can say that it is sharp beyond belief. On the other hand, it does not have tilt, only shift, and that limits usefulness somewhat.
12-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You can correct a fair bit of geometric distortion in Adobe Camera Raw at the cost of losing a good portion of the image. As mentioned, there is a limited correction capability in camera with Pentax bodies. The Samyang or Pentax legacy lenses are your best bet but limited in focal length.

A friend who is an architect by training and makes his living with architectural photography uses the Canon series of T/ S lenses on Canon bodies. The only other option is back to something with a bellows like you had.
12-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #8
Forum Member

Shift lens

Hi,
About 23 tears ago I found a Pentax 28mm shift lens (used) for sale in the camera section of the Rexall Drugstore in Salmon Arm, BC. Great lens, used it for a lot of Infra Red shots of buildings and old cars. It has a little clip on the rear of the lens where I could put a piece of red gel for such work. Sadly it was stolen with a lot of other gear some 20 years ago. I have never seen one since. If you find one it is well worth snapping up....but it is one heavy piece of glass and metal.

12-13-2014, 03:59 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi67 Quote
I have never seen one since
I've got one of these wonderful pieces of Pentax glass, but only seldom use it these days, maybe more once I get my Pentax FF.

Strangely enough there's one for sale at Ffordes just now.

28mm F3.5 SMC Shift by Pentax - Ffordes Photographic
12-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dobson Quote
Roger

I would suggest a short focus lens (not fisheye) and a camera with interchangeble screen like the MX and LX...of course using an SG-20 helps a lot.

Then of course you can make architecture photography with a standard 50-55 mm lens as well:

I don't know if these pics are good architecture, though.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 12-13-2014 at 06:37 PM.