Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Chinese Adaptall-2 adapters, any good?

I'm looking for an adaptall--2 mount in M42, so I can start using my Tamron lenses with my Spotmatic. The originals are hard to come by, by themselves. But there are dozens of adaptall-2 to M42 mounts from China on eBay, and I'm just wondering how well they interface with Tamron adaptall-2 lenses.

If you've used one, can you comment on how well they work with adaptall-2 lenses?

12-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I would imagine they'd be fine as it would probably have no moving parts (no aperture mechanism).
12-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Chinese are fine, from my experience it's better to use the ones made of brass, more costly but they will hold up better to lens weight
12-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The cheap Chinese adapters are fully manual. Since you are using a Spotmatic and not a DSLR there isn't an issue with the camera side being painted black.

Information page on Tamron adaptall, adaptall-2 system and lenses

12-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
The originals are hard to come by, by themselves.
KEH has two. They are ES, but should be backward compatible.

Steve
12-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The cheap Chinese adapters are fully manual.
Yep...lens is always stopped down, which might not be a bad thing if you are wanting to adapt further. The Tamron adapter has no A/M switch.

Steve
12-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the insights, folks. I'm still kinda new to M42, having only recently fallen into a really great deal on a clean old Spotmatic. It came with a nice 50/1.4 Super Tak, and I had already picked up a couple of cheapo normal lenses -- a Yashica 50/1.7 and a Helios 44/2 -- and also a really nice SMCT 100mm f/4 macro with hood I found at a local camera shop for dirt cheap. I have a M42 adapter for my DSLR, which is why I even bothered with buying M42s at all prior to picking up the Spotmatic. So, here I had this cool old camera, but only 50s and a 100 to use with it. Well, given how much good M42 glass has gone up in price in recent years, I realized picking up a good prime assortment would be a bit beyond my budget, so I started looking around for good zooms in M42. By good, I was looking specifically for some of the older Vivitar Series 1 zooms, like their f/3.5 70-210s and the outstanding 28-90 f/2.8-3.5. But they are rather uncommon in M42, I'm finding out.

And then it dawned on me. DOH! I have a nice collection of Tamrons, especially SP Tamrons -- zooms and primes, ranging from 17mm to 500mm, and it occurred to me that I'd likely be better off just finding an M42 adapter for my Tamron collection. But again, I was surprised when I turned to eBay and found that there were only a few sellers of Tamron brand Adaptall-2 mounts, two in England and one in Canada. Plus one of the English sellers and the Canadian seller specified that their mounts were for Fujica ST in M42, and I'm not familiar if that might be a problem or not. And the other English seller stated his was for Praktica -- probably OK, but his price was already kinda high and then there's shipping to the US from the UK, whereas the Chinese ones can be had for way less than half that amount. Hence my questions, being the cheap bastid that I am.

So, one of you is suggesting brass -- or I'm assuming the chrome plated ones I see are chrome over brass -- and one of you is indicating that the black metal facing the sensor might be desirable. But that would be one of the lighter weight aluminum ones, right? Honestly, I don't know how much it's really gonna matter for me. I just bought six different adapters for my NEX-7 (Canon FD, Nikon F, Pentax K, M42, Leica thread, and C-mount), all of which have aluminum mounting flanges for the NEX body, and I'm not the least worried about my mounts wearing out or getting bent or whatever. I take care of my gear. No, to me, the most important factor is snugness of fit. The very first lens adapter I bought for my DSLR was a Nikon F adapter, and it has always been a sloppy fit. That's the sort of thing that bothers me. The fact that these adapters will likely turn the lenses into fully manual ones doesn't bother me all that much. I'm used to dealing with this sort of thing with my digitals and adapters for them. Besides, that's the way you have to meter with the earlier Spotmatics anyway.

Oh well, I guess I'll jump in and try it out. Hope for the best.
12-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The Adaptalls came out after everyone had moved to bayonet mounts, so that's probably why not too many original m42 mounts.

The black metal thing is NOT desirable on *digital* (being non-conductive causes limitations) -- it doesn't matter on a Spotmatic, so it is neither desirable or undesirable (it was merely being pointed out that it would not be an issue like it is on digital).

12-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The Adaptalls came out after everyone had moved to bayonet mounts, so that's probably why not too many original m42 mounts.
Does that mean my copy is a collectors item?

Seriously though, a few years back the M42 Adaptall mounts were very common and we were frequently fielding requests from users wanting to convert them to fully manual aperture for use with the M42 K-mount adapter. I suspect they all disappeared as a result of people wanting to adapt to mirrorless.

As for non-conductive and digital...there are problems with non-conductive bases (almost all M42 lenses) on certain Pentax bodies*, but the compatibility issues are hardly universal.

Steve

* No M mode stop-down metering on K-30, K-50, K-500 and problems with catch-in-focus with (I think) the K100D.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-16-2014 at 08:25 AM.
12-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Does that mean my copy is a collectors item?

Seriously though, a few years back the M42 Adaptall mounts were very common and we were frequently fielding requests from users wanting to convert them to fully manual aperture for use with the M42 K-mount adapter. I suspect they all disappeared as a result of people wanting to adapt to mirrorless.
Well, I know they are out there, but they probably did make them in less quantity compared to the mounts that were actually on the new cameras being produced at the time. And I'm sure that the fact that they are still useful to many people also accounts for their scarcity, or maybe it is actually because it is so easy (and cheap) to find a Chinese version now people can't give them away and they stay in the closet. Of course you can find them on ebay, but I've never seen one in person that I can remember, whereas I've run across plenty of Adaptall mounts for everything else (usually attached to lenses from people that don't even know they come off): Minolta, Pentax K (several versions), Canon FD, Nikon, Olympus, Contax, etc.
12-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Plus one of the English sellers and the Canadian seller specified that their mounts were for Fujica ST in M42, and I'm not familiar if that might be a problem or not.
ST was Fuji's solution to open aperture metering with M42. It makes ST lenses incompatible with a standard M42 mount, though standard M42 lenses could be used with an ST camera.

You will also find Adaptall adapters for M42 Pentax ES. These will allow open aperture metering with the Spotmatic ES and Spotmatic F.
12-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You will also find Adaptall adapters for M42 Pentax ES
Yep...KEH has two in stock at present.

Steve