Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Which of the lenses from my K-50 are worth using with film?

I have a K-50 with a number of lenses and I want to get a film camera at some point to do a few rolls now and then.

My lenses are:

The two kit lenses:18-55 and 50-200
Tamron 90 macro
Pentax 35 2.4
Sigma 28-80 Macro (a film era lens)
Two screw mount: 135 3.5 and a 200/4

Thanks for the input.

12-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Screw mount ones will work. 28-80 will work.

35mm should work by all reports except that it has no aperture ring so the camera has to be capable of controlling the aperture.

Not sure about the 90mm.

The DA kit lenses will not work.
12-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 18-55 kitlens has a ff imagecircle from about 24mm. It is actually much bigger than the one from my sigma 17-70. You will need a film camera with a contacts when using modern AF-lenses without an aperture ring.
12-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's your question about compatibility, suitability, or quality?

12-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

tamron's only macro that won't cover full frame is their 60mm. The 90 will work fine, again assuming the body can control aperture if it doesn't have an aperture ring. (they currently have 2 90mm macro lenses; the Di model has an aperture ring, the Di VC USD one does not. Ooh, and the di vc usd one seems to be weather resistant to some degree. It looks like it even has an ass-gasket that would help seal a WR camera.

damn. Only available for canikon and sony

Last edited by narual; 12-22-2014 at 09:15 AM.
12-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
It's your question about compatibility, suitability, or quality?
All three!
12-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-le...ts-thread.html is worht a look, though I don't think it's being updated anymore

12-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Screw mount ones will work. 28-80 will work.

35mm should work by all reports except that it has no aperture ring so the camera has to be capable of controlling the aperture.

Not sure about the 90mm.

The DA kit lenses will not work.
Alright, so what category of AF Pentax cameras has the ability to control aperture?

Thanks.

You guys are the best!
12-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #9

Look for one of the Z/PZ series bodies.

You can pick them up for next to nothing now, and they can control the aperture of lenses which lack an aperture ring. They seem more reliable than the MZ/ZX series which replaced them.

The PZ-1 and PZ-1P have very similar handling to a DSLR, with control wheels front and back for shutter speed and aperture. If you want to spend a bit less then there are others. I found a very tidy Z-50P for about £8 a month or so ago.

If you want manual focus and film transport with a post-FA lens then the Super A will give you P and Tv modes, but not Av. The P30 series will give you P mode but unless the lens has an aperture ring then you're stuck with that. I'm very fond of P30s but they're best with K, M or A series lenses.

If you want to use the M42 lenses on their native system then an original Spotmatic in working order shouldn't cost that much, alternatively look at the Praktica range. I have an LLC with a very pleasant shutter sound, and while it feels a bit tinny compared to a Spotmatic it's not horrible to use by any means. The light meter is a pest (as I don't have any of the "electric" lenses and using stop-down metering is fiddly) but Sunny 16 works for me.
12-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
Look for one of the Z/PZ series bodies.

You can pick them up for next to nothing now, and they can control the aperture of lenses which lack an aperture ring. They seem more reliable than the MZ/ZX series which replaced them.

The PZ-1 and PZ-1P have very similar handling to a DSLR, with control wheels front and back for shutter speed and aperture. If you want to spend a bit less then there are others. I found a very tidy Z-50P for about £8 a month or so ago.

If you want manual focus and film transport with a post-FA lens then the Super A will give you P and Tv modes, but not Av. The P30 series will give you P mode but unless the lens has an aperture ring then you're stuck with that. I'm very fond of P30s but they're best with K, M or A series lenses.

If you want to use the M42 lenses on their native system then an original Spotmatic in working order shouldn't cost that much, alternatively look at the Praktica range. I have an LLC with a very pleasant shutter sound, and while it feels a bit tinny compared to a Spotmatic it's not horrible to use by any means. The light meter is a pest (as I don't have any of the "electric" lenses and using stop-down metering is fiddly) but Sunny 16 works for me.
Are you saying the MZ/ZX series won't work or you just prefer the other ones?

Thanks.
12-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Are you saying the MZ/ZX series won't work or you just prefer the other ones?

Thanks.
Some do some do not. The MZ5n for example cannot control the aperature of a lens without the aperature ring. The MZ7 can which is the reason I bought one even though I like the 5 better. Those are the only models I have experience with. We do have both the 35 2.4 and the Tamron the 35 needs a camera like the MZ7 whereas the Tamron does not. The TAmron will even work on the very first K mount film cameras.
12-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #12

They'll work (or at least some of them will - I don't think they all have the ability to adjust the aperture from the body?), they're just not as reliable. There's a plastic drive cog which was forced over a motor shaft which was too big, they split with age and are a pain to replace.

I understand that the MZ-S came with a metal one from the factory, but they've held their value very well and may be more than you want to spend.
12-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have the ZX-60 and PZ-20 bodies and both have Av mode. You control the aperture with the e-dial just like our modern DSLR bodies. You can also set a body into Tv mode and manipulate the shutter speed until you get the aperture you want. It sounds cumbersome but it's not that bad.