Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 03:41 AM   #1
Inactive Account

The LX dilemma...

I have a feeling that this post may sound familiar, but please bear with me :-)

I am having a sad Pentax month. The long-serving K1000 is dying (probably just needs a bit of TLC if not CLA)... the MX I bought recently arrived with serious shutter and focusing issues.... but the tear jerker for me is that the LX I got from the US that was in "perfect working order" arrived with the dreaded infinity focussing issue. Don't think it's 'sticky shutter' as such but obviously the mirror is out of whack. The closer to infinity, the more the focussing is out.

Problem is that I am in Australia so options are a bit limited. The tech I usually use has quoted me $400 to repair which I can't afford right now. One option would be to send it to Eric (and hope it doesn't cost that much) or the other would be write it off and start again. DIY fix feasible?

Any advice form you Pentax gurus? Thanks heaps in advance.

David

Last edited by davidwaugh; 01-06-2015 at 03:42 AM. Reason: spell
01-06-2015, 04:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Where in Australia are you?

if you are in Melbourne you could try contacting Shutterbox in Camberwell.

While I haven't had work done there personally, they were quite helpful in diagnosing a minor issue with my Pentax ME (I didn;t go with the repair in the end as the issue was so minor as to not be worth the expense)
01-06-2015, 05:15 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm in Armidale but happy to send to Melbourne. I'll contact them tomorrow - thanks for the info.
01-06-2015, 07:26 AM   #4

Eric's prices are reasonable. And the currency exchange rate could make a difference. Shipping to and from the US will probably be expensive. Eric has worked on cameras sent to him from outside the USA before.

01-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks. I guess you get to a point where you may as well do it right :-) It may be the best to send it to Eric...
01-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
I highly recommend Shutterbox - Pentax trained tech and very good with all of the analog models. Unless it is a warrant repair I always take my cameras there.
01-18-2015, 03:32 AM   #7

I had it repaired by Eric (even if I live in France) and was very pleased by his job. I wasn't able to find someone able to fix it in France.

01-31-2015, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know this is an old post but here is my 2 cents worth.

If Shutterbox in Melbourne is reputed to do good work with the LX I would recommend sending your camera there. You are supporting technicians within your own area. If that work is good, then you know you have a local asset you can rely on.

You can always send it off to Eric if that doesn't work out.
02-01-2015, 12:48 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 for John at Shutterbox.
02-11-2015, 03:38 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Bit of an update... got the ME back from repair so I am finally shooting some film. The ME was repaired by a guy in Melbourne called Kazu who I bought it from (eBay) and he was very good to deal with and repaired the camera at no cost after it arrived DOA.

I finally spoke with John @ Shutterbox about the LX (couldn't get hold of them via email for a while for some reason) and he was brilliant. Gave me a full rundown and spent a fair whack of his time on the phone explaining everything. His quote was fair (I see how much work must go into this now) but... it would mean the camera would cost me around $1K in the end! Am obviously debating the merits of this. I actually wonder if I am just better off buying another one but is there any way of ensuring the fix has been done? I guess I am looking for an honest eBay seller who knows the provenance of the camera.

Any thoughts and recommendations? Maybe I should just get the thing fixed and be done with it... Thanks.
02-11-2015, 07:37 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I've bought two perfectly working and good cosmetic LXs - one from KEH and the other off eBay, so there is reason to believe they are out there.
02-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I have 3 perfectly working LX cameras (not for sale thank you). Two were purchased that way from ebay (one of them from Eric himself) and the other was purchased at a very reasonable price knowing it had sticky shutter. If you watch what you are buying and ask questions you can usually find good deals.

And yes, the LX can still ring up a costly repair bill if done right. Whether that repair has value for you is something only you can answer. For me it is because mine are used heavily in all types of weather and I wanted them to hold up for the long haul.

Although they are film cameras the LX is still one of the single most versatile cameras I own, and the metering system is still unique. For some types of work I would be lost without mine.
02-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I have 3 perfectly working LX cameras (not for sale thank you). Two were purchased that way from ebay (one of them from Eric himself) and the other was purchased at a very reasonable price knowing it had sticky shutter.

Buying an LX - or any other Pentax, from Eric would be an automatic!
02-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davidwaugh Quote
I finally spoke with John @ Shutterbox about the LX (couldn't get hold of them via email for a while for some reason) and he was brilliant. Gave me a full rundown and spent a fair whack of his time on the phone explaining everything. His quote was fair (I see how much work must go into this now) but... it would mean the camera would cost me around $1K in the end! Am obviously debating the merits of this. I actually wonder if I am just better off buying another one but is there any way of ensuring the fix has been done? I guess I am looking for an honest eBay seller who knows the provenance of the camera.

Any thoughts and recommendations? Maybe I should just get the thing fixed and be done with it... Thanks.

I'm in Perth and I have a couple of LX's that I'd be willing to sell. Both of them work and have been overhauled in the last few years. One looks pristine and the other is a bit tatty but works. They're fantastic cameras but I've moved across to a K30, so they're just sitting there which is a crying shame.

Feel free to PM me if you're interested
02-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Buying an LX - or any other Pentax, from Eric would be an automatic!
That's kind of what I thought too!