Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2015, 09:51 AM   #1

MX - getting a flash - AF160sa or af130p (110) ?

Hello there. My current setup consist of a MX with a 50mm and a 28mm, and I'd like to get a flash for a trip I'm taking next weekend.
I can only buy from local shops so my only options right now are a pentax AF160sa in good condition, and this 'af130p' (good condition aso), for much less money, but it's actually a 110 camera hotshoe flash.
Would it work on a mx?

Last edited by agusbmxarg; 01-27-2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: I mispelled the flash name
01-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure about the AF130p. But there is no need to restrict your choices to Pentax flashes. The MX is totally manual with regards to flash, so you can use any flash with a centre-firing pin and standard hotshoe, or a PC connector. Choose a model with an "auto" mode (i.e. a thyristor sensor built into the flash.)

My MX's came with a set of Metz 45's and they are an awesome match - big but powerful, with the ability to bounce and get the flash away from the lens (minimizing red-eye and improving the modeling.) I can also recommend pretty well any Nikon flash with Auto mode. The SB-26, SB-28, and SB22 all give you excellent auto flash exposure with bounce, in top-notch build. I have also had really good luck with generic-brand Auto flashes (Cobra, Vivitar and the like.) On your MX you don't have to worry about the trigger voltage, so you can use pretty well any flash.
01-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
The AF130p Would not fit in the MX hotshoe and it has no facilities for a cable connection so it would not be at all compatible with an MX.
01-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Not sure about the AF130p. But there is no need to restrict your choices to Pentax flashes. The MX is totally manual with regards to flash, so you can use any flash with a centre-firing pin and standard hotshoe, or a PC connector. Choose a model with an "auto" mode (i.e. a thyristor sensor built into the flash.)

My MX's came with a set of Metz 45's and they are an awesome match - big but powerful, with the ability to bounce and get the flash away from the lens (minimizing red-eye and improving the modeling.) I can also recommend pretty well any Nikon flash with Auto mode. The SB-26, SB-28, and SB22 all give you excellent auto flash exposure with bounce, in top-notch build. I have also had really good luck with generic-brand Auto flashes (Cobra, Vivitar and the like.) On your MX you don't have to worry about the trigger voltage, so you can use pretty well any flash.
What!? Despite having Google, I don't know why I was sure that voltage issue was something to think about in this camera. if you say so, I will now have more options in the local market, thanks for the hint.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray-uk Quote
The AF130p Would not fit in the MX hotshoe and it has no facilities for a cable connection so it would not be at all compatible with an MX.
Thanks for the tip, I thought the mount was the same. I have to let the seller know, he doesn't even know.

01-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Check out the AF200T - it has two auto settings plus four manual level settings. If you need bounce, the AF280T is a good one too. You can find both super cheap on oldBay.
01-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
Check out the AF200T - it has two auto settings plus four manual level settings. If you need bounce, the AF280T is a good one too. You can find both super cheap on oldBay.
Thank for the advice.

I can't really buy on ebay (import policies from my country wont allow me to buy anything online ), that's why I said I have a few options in the market.

I spotted a vivitar 16m (52 @ ISO100) and a Vivitar 2800, guide 80, uses 4 AAs instead of just two.

I'd use a flash with the 28mm mostly in indoor situations, so I guess I wouldn't need a very powerful flashgun, right?
01-28-2015, 07:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go for the 2800. It is much more useful to have bounce, especially if you will shoot indoors.