Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think all the speeds above 1/125 work correctly,

02-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, that is right, somehow I had forgotten the K2 is battery dependant, but at least you have the 1/125 and bulb. You can do a lot with just those.

There is also the KM, which was basically a Spotmatic F with a bayonet mount. I liked the "center the needle" meter which allowed easy visual exposure compensation.

I suppose my favorite and the film Pentax I have used most is the MX. Never have owned a LX or any of the auto-focus film bodies.
02-03-2015, 08:44 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I prefer the SPII over the F
The lightmeter on the F is better but is always on

And yes, the MX, KX, LX, are awesome
02-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
I prefer the SPII over the F
The lightmeter on the F is better but is always on

And yes, the MX, KX, LX, are awesome
Thanks for the response! When you say always on - so what does that mean, it's always making noise, or flashing, or something?

02-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by watchingskyfallatm Quote
Thanks for the response! When you say always on - so what does that mean, it's always making noise, or flashing, or something?
There is no electrical off switch - covering the lens essentially turns it off.
02-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I was actually surprised that the K2 is more battery dependent then it's predecessors - the ES & ESII and successor - the LX. The K2 only had bulb mode and 1/125 sync speed available when batteries are dead while the others had sync speed all the way to the top speed.
Doesn't the K2 default to 1/1000s without a battery?
02-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Doesn't the K2 default to 1/1000s without a battery?
If the batteries are dead on the K2, "Bulb" and 1/125s are the only speeds available.

Phil.

02-03-2015, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Of course the mechanical shutter speeds available to the K2 of 1/125 (sync speed) and Bulb are published in the manual. But if you're interested I scanned the November 1975 Modern Photography review of it to a PDF -> http://www.fototime.com/F710B19DD1F7590/orig.pdf. I thought it was a pretty good review and worthwhile to read.
I have also been trying to get the magazine reviews of the various cameras of the era of their releases as it gives me a current perspective.
02-03-2015, 02:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by watchingskyfallatm Quote
There is no electrical off switch - covering the lens essentially turns it off.
Yes this is true for the Spottie F but also the K1000 and the KM.

On the KX you have to pull the advance lever out (like on Nikons) and on the K2 and MX the lightmeter is activated by depressing the shutter trigger and if you keep the advance lever out it remains on.

For me it's not a problem because the lightmeter doesn't require much electric power but if you leave an F/K1000/KM at home for instance without cap for weeks the battery gets drained.
02-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
If the batteries are dead on the K2, "Bulb" and 1/125s are the only speeds available.

Phil.
Of course the mechanical shutter speeds available to the K2 of 1/125 (sync speed) and Bulb are published in the manual. But if you're interested I scanned the November 1975 Modern Photography review of it to a PDF -> http://www.fototime.com/F710B19DD1F7590/orig.pdf. I thought it was a pretty good review and worthwhile to read.
I have also been trying to get the magazine reviews of the various cameras of the era of their releases as it gives me a current perspective.
Ahh.
For some reason I thought it was 1/1000, which seamed really odd to me.
Is it the same shutter as the Nikormat EL?
02-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Pentax K2 used the Seiko while apparently the Nikomat/Nikkormat ELs used the Copal Square -> Nikkormat EL2 - Preface
Like the K2, these ELs also only had sync speed and bulb when battery is dead. From what I gather, all these aperture priority capable bodies that have mechanical speeds available when batteries are dead all have this in common - sync speed and bulb.
02-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great stuff, thanks for posting the review!

Phil.
02-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Ahh.
For some reason I thought it was 1/1000, which seamed really odd to me.
Is it the same shutter as the Nikormat EL?
1/125 is the maximum Flash shutter speed on the K2 vertical metal shutter. Makes for a very functional camera with strobe. It has saved many a wedding etc.
02-04-2015, 03:00 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Great stuff, thanks for posting the review!

Phil.
You're welcome! I know that sometimes there are some details that need clarification as it is not precisely identified in the manual. I especially like the proper perspective review made at the time.
02-05-2015, 07:27 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I've owned and used all the Pentax K-series bodies. I'm not sure why but the K2 is my least favorite.
I still own one in excellent condition (serviced by Eric), yet it seems I always reach for the KM or one of the KX'es instead.
Well it's a good thing Pentax released a whole line to choose from . . .

QuoteQuote:
That bit in the Modern Photography review about the K2 finder being 1-1/2 to 2 stops brighter seems a stretch.
IMO the difference in brightness between the K2/K2DMD and the other K series bodies is hardly noticeable.
Chris

That's why I enjoy the insight only available at the time as not only did the review identify the brightness difference, but they also stated why, "only the K2 features a silver vacuum evaporate-coated pentaprism"!
Not only did they have a chance to review production new, but I am certain they likely had more inside information because I don't see this specific information published anywhere else. Does anybody know?
Of course just a couple of months earlier in their September 1975 issue titled, "Pentax goes bayonet", they also published this little insight that also claims this same coating is in the KX.

Granted this earlier article was not hands on and that they were able to verify in their lab that the K2 was brighter using actual scientific methods.

I also have the September 1975 Popular Photography that has a similar first look at the Pentax bayonet mount as Modern Photography - apparently they were at the Tokyo release show, but their article doesn't mention much about the viewfinder. Pop Photo probably had a more thorough review in a later publication but I don't have that. If someone has it and can share that would be great.