Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #16
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Good thing - I'd hate to have to memorize that 137-page instruction manual!
I sold my PZ-1P due to its 100+ page manual and non-intuitive controls.

The Pentax MZ-S is a very interesting design and no doubt very capable.
But it's probably far too automated and complicated for me to ever warm up to.

Chris
Now that I've tried pretty much everything and settled in to decisions I decided I wanted a modern AF film Pentax to use some (more) modern lenses with. I found a cosmetically challenged but perfectly functioning version to try and it is a keeper!! I was at first surprised to learn using Av Mode requires setting the aperture on the lens (ahem - it isn't really all that modern). It can be a manual as I wish it to be.

Of course I still have 'X' bodies for the real stuff and 'number' bodies for PCB-substrate stuff. But somehow the MZ-S is finding a permanent place in my day bag.

03-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I live 135 km (85 mi) from the nearest location for film processing. I purchased a K10D in November 2007 to allow me to see pictures without waiting for the post office to get around to actually delivering the mail (in two directions). It's actually quicker for me to take the digital photograph on my K10D and use the web to send them the images I want printed. The post office is only required for the return trip.

I sold my MZ-S within the last year. For film I still have two bodies: SF-1 and Spotmatic S. They are fully functional and in good condition. I seldom use them these days. My personal objective is the image. I print the really good ones and archive the usable ones and turf the rest. I have not put a film into my camera(s) this year. I think I ran two through last year, mostly to test the Spotmatic to make sure it is functioning correctly.

If I were living in a large centre, I would probably still be using the MZ-S. It was (and still is) one of the most usable cameras I have ever owned. The other is the Pentax KX (film) which had no electric functions in it other than the meter, and had a periscope to see the set aperture. Similarly easy to use.