Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

MZ-S - In love!

I have just picked up an MZ-S to complement my MZ-5N.

Its just a lovely thing to use, I have no real complaints about the MZ-5N apart from the grip is a little small (height wise) and its obviously built to a price. The MZ-S on the other hand is lovely, the grip is just the right amount taller and the buttons have a quality feel, its little things that make a big difference. It just feels like such a solid camera, much like the Sigma SD15 I had for a while.

And of course my new FA43 is just perfect, I had a copy previously when I had a K-7 a year or so back but on FF it really shines, it is, actually a perfect 1-lens focal length. Looking forward to the first roll of film which I have shot half of today on a short walk this afternoon!

I think I will pick up a DA40 XS or DA40 Limited if I can find one cheap to match with the MZ-5N for B&W work, and keep the FA43 for the MZ-S with colour.
The DA40 wont be ideal as its only used in P or Tv mode but I can't really afford two FA43's.

This will most likely be my ideal 3-Lens Trio for Film (and FF ); the FA20-35 to cover wide, the FA43 as fast normal and the K85 for Portraits. I have been getting lovely results with the FA20-35 and K85 on film so far, the FA20-35 seems sharp and good contrast, while not being too sensitive to flare so far. The K85 is just lovely, bokeh to die for and the build is the best I have had with ANY lens.

With the arrival of the FA43, the excellent K55 will be relegated to use on B&W I think, its such a good value lens, I think I picked mine up for around £30 last year. Like the K85 its built brilliantly (maybe not quite as SOLID as the K85 though) and seems sharp when stopped down a tad, again the bokeh is lovely.

I have a FA50 f1.7 which I have not used that much, mainly as I have been going back to the K55 when ever I was reaching for a 50mm. Both the FA50 and K55 seem to need hoods as they are a seem to loose contrast wide open without it, I managed to pick up an original 52mm Hood (same as the K85) which works really well. I have decided to move on the FA50 especially with the arrival of the FA43, its just not going to get used.

I recently picked up an F70-210 to give me an AF Telephoto, it was £35 which seems great value, not had a real chance to try it yet but its certainly built well with a mix of plastic and metal main body. I also have the M*300 which has been though a few battles, again up for sale as I don't really use it to be honest.

The only addition is likely to be a macro lens at some point.

My 35mm shots on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hoopsontoast/sets/72157650249367158/

Collection of Pentax 35mm kit:

02-07-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great camera. Lousy battery choice. I'd still have mine if the battery grip was more common than a modest Canon user.

02-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The grips come up on ebay from time to time. I actually bought mine with the grip included (along with the original boxes and manuals). It is a great camera, although it works differently from the other cameras in the zx/mz series and takes a little getting use to. The FA limiteds and the MZ-S is probably the best film kit ever.
02-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had one for 10 years or more. It was a great film camera. I understand the gentleman in the East is happy with it now. It was not getting any use. It's 100 miles give or take to the closest place that still handles film. Even my wife went digital this year and bought herself an X-5.

02-08-2015, 02:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I saw you got one of these and I'm glad you're enjoying it. I look forward to seeing your results.

Don't dismiss the FA 50/1.7 - it's a fantastic lens. You may want to decide between it and the 43mm of course, but the FA 50/1.7 is really great, either on film or digital.
02-08-2015, 02:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I saw you got one of these and I'm glad you're enjoying it. I look forward to seeing your results.

Don't dismiss the FA 50/1.7 - it's a fantastic lens. You may want to decide between it and the 43mm of course, but the FA 50/1.7 is really great, either on film or digital.
I am looking forward to the first roll of film results too!

I have to say, I find myself picking up the K55 over the FA50 most of the time, not sure why, maybe I like the slighty wider view of the FA43 or the slightly tighter on the K55.
02-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Love my MZ-S, it was shipped from Canada so maybe its yours? I have to say that my FA 77 lives on this thing. The only time it comes off is when I put my F 50mm 1.7 on (agree with jonathan!) Since I started developing my own film I can shoot as much as I want and it's really pretty inexpensive. I also take better shots now :-)

02-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
Love my MZ-S, it was shipped from Canada so maybe its yours? I have to say that my FA 77 lives on this thing. The only time it comes off is when I put my F 50mm 1.7 on (agree with jonathan!) Since I started developing my own film I can shoot as much as I want and it's really pretty inexpensive. I also take better shots now :-)
Not mine. It went to Ontario, I think - Canada anyway.
02-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #9

I bought my MZ-S last year on ebay at a great price (£127) . It was kind of strange as there were two being bidded on but everyone went after the one with the pentax lens and battery grip.I already had lens so wasn't bothered about that too much. I just love mine it was an instant love affair feels great and looks great but I love most is the sound it makes when taking a shot, better than digital. l've had to read the manual a couple of times to get the hang of things but i can honestly say it's not taken a bad photo yet. The data is kind of useful but somehow i never use it and I've not really had battery problems. If you can get hold of one at a god price then I can highly recommend it as it's the best SLR I've ever used.

02-28-2015, 08:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The MZ-S is still on my list of cameras to try. For now, I will stick with my SF1n.
03-01-2015, 06:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iGlad Quote
I bought my MZ-S last year on ebay at a great price...
l've had to read the manual a couple of times to get the hang of things but i can honestly say it's not taken a bad photo yet.
The data is kind of useful but somehow i never use it...

Good thing - I'd hate to have to memorize that 137-page instruction manual!
I sold my PZ-1P due to its 100+ page manual and non-intuitive controls.

The Pentax MZ-S is a very interesting design and no doubt very capable.
But it's probably far too automated and complicated for me to ever warm up to.

Chris
03-01-2015, 08:06 AM   #12
Inactive Account

How's the autofocus speed/accuracy on the MZ-S? I love the styling and ergonomics of that body, and am thinking about getting one to play with. Thanks.
03-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax67shooter4life Quote
How's the autofocus speed/accuracy on the MZ-S? I love the styling and ergonomics of that body, and am thinking about getting one to play with. Thanks.
AF seems the same as the MZ-5N, and both seem quicker than my K-01, especially with the F70-210
03-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Good thing - I'd hate to have to memorize that 137-page instruction manual!
I sold my PZ-1P due to its 100+ page manual and non-intuitive controls.

The Pentax MZ-S is a very interesting design and no doubt very capable.
But it's probably far too automated and complicated for me to ever warm up to.

Chris
Chris, the MZ-S is probably the easiest camera to use I ever met, bar none.
  • Aperture: set to A for auto aperture, or set the aperture you want on the lens
  • Shutter: set to Auto for automatic or set the shutter speed you want.
  • Set both to Auto for program
  • Set Shutter only to manual for Tv
  • Set Aperture only to A for Av
My original Pentax (first model ever, precedes S) was more complex than that.

When using shutter speeds from 1/25 to 1/500, make sure the slow speed dial on the front of the camera is set to 1/25. When using speeds from 1/10 down to 1 second, set top shutter dial to 1/25. (Set TWO shutter dials for shutter speed to avoid really "interesting" results).

Set preset aperture ring to desired aperture, using your hand held meter or using the little slip of paper that came with the Kodachrome. Put camera to eye and focus. Move the second aperture ring to the stop you preset or you overexposed. (Use TWO aperture dials: the preset dial and the one that actually stopped the lens down.)

I still prefer the MZ-S control layout over what is on the DSLRs. Much easier.
03-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I prefer manual exposure and use it almost exclusively.
It can't be easier than a classic manual exposure SLR from the 1960's to 1970's.
Shutter speed dial, aperture and focus rings all in about the same place on a hundred models.
Defeating the automation is usually the hard part on most anything else made since...

Chris