Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

M42 Adapter Question

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello, all,

Is there any particular way in which the M42 adapter (genuine Pentax version) should be mounted? Should I screw it on the lens, and then mount the lens as if it were a bayonet-mount lens, or should I mount the adapter to the body and then mount the lens? I am using a ZX-M body.

Thanks,
Glen

05-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think it really matters, but I screw it to the lens, then mount the lens as if it is a bayonet. Generally I leave the adapter in my MESuper and use a screw-in body cap.
05-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Mount the adaptor to the camera, and then mount the lens.
05-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This guy says this is a exact copy of the adapter that Pentax had made for themselves. Does this look the same?
Pentax ScrewMount M42 Lens to K Mount Camera Adapter - eBay (item 290234729922 end time Jun-01-08 16:23:58 PDT)

05-31-2008, 12:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If it needs a dedicated spanner then it is NOT an exact copy.
The Pentax one just needs a thumb nail!
The manual for the Authentic adaptor specifically says mount ring to lens then lens+mount to the body. When removing the lens the mount stays on the body. two seconds to unmount the ring and place on your new lens.
Only time I had issues with this was when using the adaptor on a bellows. 1/3 of a turn to put bellows+ring on the body but when removing the bellows I couldn't 180deg rotate the bellows off the ring due to the onboard flash housing. Thought I had a permanent bellows camera there until I calmed down and applied some lateral thinking and could work out how to remove it.
I'll leave you with the puzzle. no dissassembly was necessary of lens bellows or camera!
05-31-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It mounted nicely--thanks. How is the adapter removed? I bought mine used, and it did not come with the instructions.

Glen
05-31-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
Inactive Account

The Pentax ME Super manual (as would other K-mount Pentax manuals) has instructions for the use of the Mount Adapter K.

You can find it here:

Pentax ME-Super Manual

Start at Page 38.

05-31-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, lithos...actually, I have a KX manual, and it has the instructions you mention
05-31-2008, 04:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Arjay,
I always use the adapter type with a flange for adapting my bellows. Infinity focus isn't an issue on a bellows and the are cheap, only $7.75 in quanities of ten on ebay. The Real one is easy to use most of the time on lenses.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
If it needs a dedicated spanner then it is NOT an exact copy.
The Pentax one just needs a thumb nail!
The manual for the Authentic adaptor specifically says mount ring to lens then lens+mount to the body. When removing the lens the mount stays on the body. two seconds to unmount the ring and place on your new lens.
Only time I had issues with this was when using the adaptor on a bellows. 1/3 of a turn to put bellows+ring on the body but when removing the bellows I couldn't 180deg rotate the bellows off the ring due to the onboard flash housing. Thought I had a permanent bellows camera there until I calmed down and applied some lateral thinking and could work out how to remove it.
I'll leave you with the puzzle. no dissassembly was necessary of lens bellows or camera!
06-01-2008, 05:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks for the tip Dave. As I accumulate more universal lenses it would be good to have an extra and that is a good point about having a flange ed one for bellows use. The rings are so small and light that I usually leave it mounted on the most used lens for safe keeping. At the moment that is the Tokina 28mm 2.8. That could change though as I have a couple of Zeiss lenses and a vivitar on the way...
Thanks again,
06-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The bower adapter works fine, the metal thing it comes with just makes it easy to take the adapter off, but it can really be taken out with your fingers.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
This guy says this is a exact copy of the adapter that Pentax had made for themselves. Does this look the same?
Pentax ScrewMount M42 Lens to K Mount Camera Adapter - eBay (item 290234729922 end time Jun-01-08 16:23:58 PDT)
06-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #12

Are there any adaptors that would lock to the camera and could be removed together with the lense (in the same manner the k-mount lenses are)? So I could have a seperate adaptor on each lens without the need for screwing them on and off?
06-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I'm not much on M42 adaptors, but I'd be willing to bet most of the ones out there would be direct clones of the genuine Pentax ones, and that it'd be unwise to go against the original design.
06-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
The bower adapter works fine, the metal thing it comes with just makes it easy to take the adapter off, but it can really be taken out with your fingers.
The two I bought were junk.

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I'm not much on M42 adaptors, but I'd be willing to bet most of the ones out there would be direct clones of the genuine Pentax ones, and that it'd be unwise to go against the original design.
I bought the Bower because Pentax was out of stock. Got a replacement for the first one. Bad experience. The Pentax store finally got some in stock, and I am pleased with mine. There is a real difference in my experience.

Bill
06-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

After reading so many threads on the poor aftermarket adaptors ... I decided to cough up the extra $$$$ and get the genuine item myself .... and I must admit I think it was worth it ... they work perfectly ... and easy to remove if needed ... no tools ... no fiddling.

I got a 2nd genuine adaptor later on though from Jsherman999 with a lens I purchased as well ... so i have a spare if needed too.