Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2015, 06:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samyang lenses and film bodies

This might possibly be a dumb question, but I have to ask before spending money... Have any of you used recent Samyang lenses with your older film SLR bodies? And specifically, does the aperture setting give any kind of problems?

Can I put one of these new lenses on my ancient Ricoh XR-7 and expect it to be fully functional? My intuition is that it should. It should work just like a Pentax-A series lens, right? I just want to double-check before I buy a lens and then find out there's some sort of obscure "gotcha" involved, though.

02-21-2015, 07:05 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They all have aperture rings and yes, they work like A-series lenses. I don't see how there could be any problems

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-21-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. I guess I'll have to give one a spin.

I feel like the old war horse with modern wonder-film (Ektar 100) and modern wonder-lenses (Samyang) could get a new lease on life.
02-21-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep in mind that while most of the Samyang lenses are FF compatible, a couple are APS-C only (the 16mm and 10mm come to mind).

02-21-2015, 08:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
This might possibly be a dumb question, but I have to ask before spending money... Have any of you used recent Samyang lenses with your older film SLR bodies? And specifically, does the aperture setting give any kind of problems?

Can I put one of these new lenses on my ancient Ricoh XR-7 and expect it to be fully functional? My intuition is that it should. It should work just like a Pentax-A series lens, right? I just want to double-check before I buy a lens and then find out there's some sort of obscure "gotcha" involved, though.
If the XR-7 is ancient, what does that make it's predecessors . . .

02-21-2015, 08:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I also have a Ricoh Diacord G, by the way. I took it to the flea market last weekend. Very few people seemed to recognize it as a camera or realize I was snapping photos. The few who did recognize it were delighted to see a TLR taken out of the museum and being used.
02-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the 24mm tilt/shift. This is not an A-type lens, and the mount was not constructed quite correctly to allow metering on manual film bodies. Just guessing, but the other Samyang lenses probably have the same issue. KA mount cameras should be fine for lenses set to A, but earlier bodies (e.g. K1000, KX, MX) won't meter.

02-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Ya know, I was wondering the same thing when I was looking at some of their lenses a few days ago. It won't hurt to email Samyang and ask though.
02-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
If cameras were steaks, that Singlex is a porterhouse! 826g!
02-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bryce K Quote
If cameras were steaks, that Singlex is a porterhouse! 826g!
Heaviest fixed viewfinder SLR body I've encountered so far!
Clearly the trend was to go smaller and lighter . . .
02-23-2015, 10:02 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As long as a lens has a functional aperture ring and covers the 35mm image format, it should be backward compatible to your XR7. At least that is how it works on my two copies of that camera.

Steve

(...loves his XR7s...)
02-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
At least that is how it works on my two copies of that camera.
I also have two, except that one of them is a Sears KS-2. Same camera, different label, makes it easy to tell them apart!

I am giving one of the Samyang lenses a spin, I'll let y'all know how it works for me.
02-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just received the 35mm f1.4 lens.

It does meter on the XR7. It may not be perfectly accurate, since I've read the calibration was changed when "A" lenses were brought in, and I'm not sure how significant that change was in practice. Nonetheless... Here's a modern lens that will apparently work on every K-mount camera I've got, from oldest to newest. That's cool.

Wow! What a monster this is! I knew it was big, but holding it in my hand... It's something like 3X the size and weight of vintage 35mm lenses. Is it because of all the super-modern style optics? Is it because it's f1.4? Or... Is it because people these days want to be seen with a "professional" giant lens on their cameras? Because if that's the look you're going for, I think this will do it.
02-27-2015, 07:19 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it because of all the super-modern style optics? Is it because it's f1.4? Or... Is it because people these days want to be seen with a "professional" giant lens on their cameras?
Certainly the first two. 12 elements compared to typically 5 or so in an older 35mm prime, and making a wide prime faster than f/2 requires a large front element. Pentax once designed a 35/1.4 but never released it.
02-27-2015, 08:36 AM   #15
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow! What a monster this is! I knew it was big, but holding it in my hand... It's something like 3X the size and weight of vintage 35mm lenses.
you should see it mounted on a mirrorless camera

anyway, be sure and check for lens defects, i've had to return my 35/1.4 twice now, hoping that the third time is the charm.