Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2008, 06:40 AM   #1

PZ1 Problem

I have owned my PZ1 since the early 1990's. Never had any problems. It has performed excellently until 2 weeks ago when I took my last picture. The camera clicked, but the lens never opened for the next shot and the film didn't advance. I am wondering what the problem could be? Is it worth repairing? Is it time to consider buying a DSLR? I have been looking at the Nikon D60. How should I proceed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by steinway2; 06-01-2008 at 10:16 AM.
06-01-2008, 07:26 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What lenses do you have for the PZ?
06-01-2008, 08:42 AM   #3

Love the response!
If lenses are K mount, easy transition to Pentax DSLR.
06-01-2008, 08:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
Chris
Thanks for the interest. I just installed a new battery when this happened. I have tried dry firing with the lens removed and the back opened. There is no activity when the shutter button is depressed.

Let me say that I really liked this camera although it had more bells and whistles on it than I could ever get used to using. But it took excellent pics of our trips out west. I ususally shot Kodak Ektachrome because I liked slides for sharing with larger gatherings of people.

The camera has never needed service until now and I wonder if it's time to consider something else. It seems the digitals have improved considerably, but I have no way of knowing if my PZ1 still takes better pics and would be worth repairing. I realize too that I could have it repaired and then sell it.

Kurt

06-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #5

Could be the new battery.
Have you checked the voltage.
Battery could be very old stock.
06-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #6

Original Poster
Garth
I have only the SMC PentaxFA 1:4-5:6 28-105mm lens and it has worked well for me.
06-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #7

Original Poster
Garth
The battery is fine. The zoom on the lens operates fine. The liquid quartz display indicates no low battery. It is an energizer lithium good until 2011. I'm confident that that isn't the problem.

06-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #8

Very good lens. Don't let it go.
These full frame film lenses work exceptionally well on APS-C digitals.
Wide open uses the sweet spot centre of the glass and avoids any soft edges.
06-05-2008, 05:12 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
there is a cog in the lift mechanism for the mirror, that can wear over time, it happened to my Z1
06-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steinway2 Quote
snip..I have been looking at the Nikon D60. How should I proceed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you considered a pentax DSLR? Just wondering why you would jump to Nik*n?

The lens you have would work on the Pentax DSLR's. I'm not an expert on this lens, but I would expect it to be better then the Nik*n kit lens.
06-06-2008, 05:21 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for your input. I was just reading about Nikon DSLR and liked some of the features of the D60. I have essential tremors and think the image stabilization would be an asset for me. Also, the convenience of DSLR and lack of film and developing is very inviting. Consumer reports generally doesn't rate Pentax as high as the Nikon.
06-06-2008, 05:24 AM   #12

Original Poster
Did you have your PZ1 repaired? Or buy new?
06-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #13

Thanks for your input. I was just reading about Nikon DSLR and liked some of the features of the D60. I have essential tremors and think the image stabilization would be an asset for me. Also, the convenience of DSLR and lack of film and developing is very inviting. Consumer reports generally doesn't rate Pentax as high as the Nikon.
Pentax DSLRs have image stabilization built into the body. This means that the lens that you have, on a K10D, K200D, K20D, K100D is stabilized. This is a Pentax forum but with the very nice lens that you have, I don't understand why you would switch systems.
Consumer Reports is certainly not a good source for DSLR reviews. Check the reviews on Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ for something a little more objective. Pentax makes great cameras and the transition from the PZ-1 to a Pentax DSLR will be very easy for you. The layout of the Av and Tv dials are the same, you have very similar program modes, etc.
I own, shoot and love my Z-1p (Canadian PZ-1p) and my K100D. I shoot black and white negatives in the Z-1p and use the K100D for color. Both are great cameras and the lenses are amazing.
06-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I agree : Pentax sucks ! 50 USD for that lens ? Deal ?

Somebody out there is not telling the truth . I've seen Pentax stuffs flying off the shell faster than the speed of light .

One camera sale guy told me Pentax is no good ( I did not have the K10D with me ) so I played dumb asking him about ordering a K20D . $1299 ! Of course I knew that but I made a remark : " For a no good camera it's very expensive ! " . You should have seen his face !

Anyway , I trust that you check the battery with a voltmeter . Or try to clean the contacts with a eraser . Those cameras are very robust and last quite a while in the hand of average users .

Try use a camera in store before you buy it . Whatever brand that fits you need , so be it . It's just a tool !

Just like food . One day something is good for you , next day it's bad ! Keep reading those reports will do you no good .

Good luck to you sir .
06-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thank you for the links, your expertise and the information. I will look into them and consider getting a Pentax DSLR body for my lens.