Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

P30T, shutter will not reliably stay open on bulb with cable shutter control.

Was trying some night shots with my P30T I recently acquired.

On some of the shots, I would hold down the shutter cable button, but after a few seconds, the shutter just closed again for no reason.

This happened on about 3 out of the 10 shots and the amount of time after which it closed varied. Even if I held the button down firmly on the cable control it still happened.

Anyone experience this problem with the P30T?

06-08-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a wild guess, but it sounds like the batteries may be weak. Try putting fresh batteries in and trying again.
06-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could be the batteries, could also be the cable being damaged.
06-08-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
Was trying some night shots with my P30T I recently acquired.

On some of the shots, I would hold down the shutter cable button, but after a few seconds, the shutter just closed again for no reason.

This happened on about 3 out of the 10 shots and the amount of time after which it closed varied. Even if I held the button down firmly on the cable control it still happened.

Anyone experience this problem with the P30T?
1. The P series is very rough on batteries in "B" mode. The few times I used it I always started with fresh batteries.

2. Are you using a mechanical cable (to the manual release on the mount area) or the Cable Switch A that connects to the shutter button. The mechanical switch is far more reliable.

3. Is the lens set to a manual aperture or on A? Setting the lens to "A" is not recommended with time exposures.

06-09-2008, 06:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
1. The P series is very rough on batteries in "B" mode. The few times I used it I always started with fresh batteries.

2. Are you using a mechanical cable (to the manual release on the mount area) or the Cable Switch A that connects to the shutter button. The mechanical switch is far more reliable.

3. Is the lens set to a manual aperture or on A? Setting the lens to "A" is not recommended with time exposures.
1. I will try a new set of batteries, I wasn't aware the shutter depended on this (electronically triggered), I thought it was like the old K1000.

2. I am using the a mechanical cable screwed into the port on the side of the camera behind the lens mount.

3. I was using a manual apeture setting.

Thanks for the info!
06-09-2008, 07:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Long exposures are always done best with mechanical film cameras.
06-09-2008, 08:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Long exposures are always done best with mechanical film cameras.

That's one of the main reasons I got back into film. I think my K1000 may be a better option for bulb photography. I just got another K1000 frame.