Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2015, 04:16 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I spend more on a beer than what your saving and that's not counting your labor.
But if you make calculations, you will have a partially exposed roll, lets say, 4 or $. You will be wasting not only half of that money, but also 20 frames.
Now, if you go to a bar to take a beer with your friends, you will have to pay 2 for the beer and another 4 for a new roll of film, if you want to take photographs.

So it is likely you have spent 8 (2 from the unexposed film's frames + 2 from the beer + 4 from the new roll) = 8 or dollar.

But now, since I retrieved the film, I didn't wasted those 2 euro, so I keep those 2 euro for the beer, PLUS I don't have to use a new 4 roll to take photographs, so it is likely I only spent 2 on a beer.

Basically, your beer cost to you 3 more times than my beer.
Or what is the same, I could take 4 beers while you could get only 1.

03-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I mean, you had 15 shots already taken and in order for those not to be overexp
you need to reshhot them with the cap on (speed on 1/1000)
BUT since algnment is not always perfect overshoot by 1, so shoot 16 frames with the cap on to make sure you do not overlap the last one
03-10-2015, 09:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
BUT since algnment is not always perfect overshoot by 1, so shoot 16 frames with the cap on to make sure you do not overlap the last one
That's what I used to do. When traveling sometimes I'd have an unfinished roll that I'd take out of the camera before a flight. Sometimes the inspectors in some countries want you to open the camera. The film went into a lead bag. While I would be careful sometimes I'd forget while rewinding the film and pull it in all the way. The retrieval tool was always in my camera bag.
03-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Another approach is to open the film in the dark and move it to a re-loadable canister.

Adorama Reloadable Plastic Film Cassette for Bulk Loading Pack of 4 NPPRC354 | eBay

03-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Good job!

I have managed to get 40 frames from a 36exp roll.

I thought the Nikons were overbearing but not like the Zenit! On the Nikon F3, FA & FE2, they fixed the shutter speed to sync speed regardless of setting and mode until the frame counter gets to 1. This was supposed to be a convenience when a new roll is installed and you mistakenly set to aperture priority with a lens cap on.
I can't say about Nikons SLRs, never had one.

I tried this afternoon with a Kodak Retina IIIC, and I managed to get up to 41 shots from a 36-shot film.
I got 3 from the start and 2 more from the end. But I had to trick the camera because when the camera frame counter reaches the number 36, it automatically blocks the film-advance crank. But I tricked it by pressing the film release button, like if I wanted to rewind the film. Then the crank gets unblocked so I could advance the film a little more, which was 2 more frames before there were no more film in the canister.

Something similar happens with the Zenit 122k, that blocks the crank.
The Pentax K100 does it too.
But I didn't tested tricking these both cameras.

And with an automatic SLR, I guess if this is even possible since the rewinding process is done automatically, maybe there is a way to make the camera believe that there is a new roll, so it doesn't get automatically rewinded?

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Maybe you need to try a half frame camera . . .

Uhmm... 72 frames sounds really tempting. Maybe I can squeeze up to 100 frames?
03-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax1000 Quote
Uhmm... 72 frames sounds really tempting. Maybe I can squeeze up to 100 frames?
Based on your past results perhaps 80 is a more reasonable target.
03-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #22

I spend more on a beer than what your saving and that's not counting your labor.
Somehow these days it just feels wrong to waste any film. For only 3 bucks, just add one on to your next order from B&H, or wherever, and you'll have it if you need it.
03-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3in5 Quote
Somehow these days it just feels wrong to waste any film. For only 3 bucks, just add one on to your next order from B&H, or wherever, and you'll have it if you need it.
Buying more film helps support the medium.

03-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Another approach is to open the film in the dark and move it to a re-loadable canister.
This is what came to my mind too. If you have one on hand, it would work great. If you don't have one the cost of getting one (unless your next door neighbor has one) would probably greatly exceed the value of the unexposed film.

In my early photography days (when I only had 1 35mm camera), I often did some of the tricks mentioned in previous posts. I would alternate between 1000 ASA/ISO and 100 ASA/ISO mid-roll (pretty frequently). I would slowly and carefully rewind until I felt (and usually heard) the leader come off the take-up spool. Then I'd take out the cartridge and write the number of exposures on the canister with a sharpie. When it was time to claim those unexposed bits of film I would load it back into the camera and advance through all the exposed frames with the lens cap on and shutter speed set at 1000.

I used this trick many times. However, it burned me badly on some of the shots that were dear to me. I was traveling abroad and probably in my frantic switching trick, I did not write the number of exposures on the canister that I rewound. Some time later when I pulled out that cartridge I didn't see any of my sharpie markings (and the leader didn't appear to have the take-up spool crease), so I loaded it up thinking that it was a brand new roll of film. When I had the rolls developed, I see some of my most precious shots all double-exposed! It was on a roll of 36 exposures.

Lesson to self - don't be too clever about trying to save or skimp on unexposed film. From that moment on, I ceased my film switching trick. I then went to 2 (or 3 in some cases) 35mm cameras. One with 1000 speed for indoor photos inside churches and museums, another with 100 or 200 for outdoor, and 100 or 400 in a cheap point-and-shoot for candids. Each camera was dedicated to one type of film for the duration of the trip.
03-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #25

Buying more film helps support the medium.
Well, then I'm doing my part. I still ain't going to waste perfectly good film. BTW, any good labs in Seattle you know of?
03-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3in5 Quote
Well, then I'm doing my part. I still ain't going to waste perfectly good film. BTW, any good labs in Seattle you know of?
I had a list somewhere, once. I develop my own so I never paid much attention to any. I'll look for it tonight. But you can also get the list at Glazer's camera (or call them). There were 3 labs on it in the Seattle area if I recall correctly.
03-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #27
Site Supporter

I had a list somewhere, once. I develop my own so I never paid much attention to any. I'll look for it tonight. But you can also get the list at Glazer's camera (or call them). There were 3 labs on it in the Seattle area if I recall correctly.
I came across this Lab the last time I was in Seattle, checking out the area around the Space Needle.

Seattle Photo Lab, prints, Panda, Panda Lab,

I did not use them, but the place looked ok. I think another member from Seattle had used them???

Phil.