Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #1

Film roll fully rewinded before finished :(

Hi there.

I was shooting some family photos with my camera today. Then the mobile phone rang, so I left the camera on the grass and went to talk somewhere else. When I went back, I found my nephew toying with the camera (he is 11 years old).
He rewinded the whole film into the roll when only 15 exposures were done. So 21 exposures are still unused from that roll.

I thought about opening the canister as if I wanted to develop it, then un-rewind it a bit and finally close the canister, seal it with with some "lightproof" tape, and put it back into the camera, in the same dark room. But I'm not sure about this because when opening the canister (I use a can opener), the cover is always heavily blended, so after that I don't know if it will even fit into the camera, or even it will damage the camera or the film itself.

The question is: is there any way to un-rewind the film when fully rewinded, that doesn't involve opening the canister itself? BTW, it is a 35mm roll.

Thanks in advance.

03-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi,1000,
I use bottle opener method when the leader goes inside. I don't think there is any other way otherwise we would do it.

My suggestion is that you have 15 shots and the cost of the roll is a few $, so just develop it.
03-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
Forum Member

I'm not a film guy, so please excuse me if what I suggest is totally wrong or impossible, but couldn't you take 15 very underexposed shots with the lens cap on and be right back to where you were without ever even opening the camera?
03-09-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I use bottle opener method when the leader goes inside. I don't think there is any other way otherwise we would do it.
I had problems loading a new roll of film into a camera once and rewound the film a bit too far back so the leader went inside the canister.

I took the roll of film to a local Lab and asked the guy if he could fish out the leader. He had a thin metal tool with a sticky surface on one side that he inserted into the canister and in seconds had the film leader out.

Not sure if it was a DIY tool or something that you can buy, but it worked like a charm without having to open the canister.

Phil.

03-09-2015, 09:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Go with Phil's advice to take it to the lab if available. Then as Thomas suggests, load it back to the camera and advance at least 16 exposures as that extra frame - or two, would ensure you don't double expose the last known frame.

I have the film retriever tool ->
Other cleaver ideas to retrieve rewound film ->
03-09-2015, 10:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks guys,
See, On PF we learn something every day.
I have been using 35mm film for 35 years and never heard of that.
Of course, they should make them with a beer bottle opener on the other end, for the darkroom fridge!
03-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Personally, I wouldn't bother. I'd just load a new roll and develop what you have.
03-09-2015, 11:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
Very nice, I'm going to try to use another film leader as in the second video.

03-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Film leader retrievers were always a hit-or-miss for me
However, half shot rolls were a norm.... just shoot witht he cap on 16 frames (not 15) and use the other few frames
03-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

You may have to try a couple times but film retrieval tools always work for me.

One method that takes a lot of patience and/or practice is to take another piece of film - a scrap of leader from a developed roll will do - in a pinch the leader of an another roll still in the can. Moisten an inch or so of the emulsion side of this piece then insert it through the light trap slot about and inch - inch and a half. The emulsion side should be pointing to the spool. Then slowly turn the spool in the direction that would wind the film into the can until you hear/feel the leader snap past the light trap opening and slap against the flat area of the can. Wait a moment and slowly and gently tease out the piece you inserted. With luck the leader will stick enough to the inserted piece and will come along. Part of the trick is moistening the piece of film so it is not too wet and not too dry. Some people just lick the film to moisten it.
03-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Thanks guys,
See, On PF we learn something every day.
I have been using 35mm film for 35 years and never heard of that.
Of course, they should make them with a beer bottle opener on the other end, for the darkroom fridge!
I wasn't aware of it until I picked mine up as part of a package deal. I believe I have only used it twice - once to try it out and another for a film roll that was mistakenly rolled in. I don't even know where it is anymore!

A film retriever beer bottle opener . . . sounds like a kickstarter project . . . or just a reason to test out opening beer bottles . . .

---------- Post added 03-09-15 at 04:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Personally, I wouldn't bother. I'd just load a new roll and develop what you have.
Sometimes I would even load my camera in complete darkness to maximize the number of frames I can get out of a roll. On my last two rolls of Kodachrome 25 I did this and got 39 frames out of each.
03-09-2015, 02:43 PM   #12
jtk

I have a more plastic leader retriever that works well (any time it didn't work it was my fault). I use it to pull the leader back out of the roll so I can trim it for loading into my developing reels (theoretically... I've only done it in practice so far). It seems better to do it this way than to put scissors in my dark bag and try to cut it straight by feel.
03-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #13

Original Poster
Reporting in. It worked great the saliva version but not exactly as described. After trying countless times without any success, I finally attached a piece of adhesive tape in a way that the adhesive part will stick to the leader of the roll i wanted to retrieve, then I inserted it and it worked. Let me post an image of what I did:

(Click to enlarge)

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It would be a wast of money, time and unexposed frames.

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Film leader retrievers were always a hit-or-miss for me
However, half shot rolls were a norm.... just shoot witht he cap on 16 frames (not 15) and use the other few frames
Sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean.

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
[...]

Sometimes I would even load my camera in complete darkness to maximize the number of frames I can get out of a roll. On my last two rolls of Kodachrome 25 I did this and got 39 frames out of each.
I do that too, but it is not possible to do it with all cameras. And also you can get more than 39!!!

For example, one of my cameras, a Zenit 122K, won't open the curtains until you release the shutter speed several times until the frame counter reaches the "frame 1" number, so you are like wasting several frames, which, in the Zenit, are 4 frames. This makes 36 + 4 = 40. Maybe 39, if you don't want to go that far.

Then, you can get another 4 frames from the end, until there is physically no more film.

With the Zenit, the further I went was 39 frames in a 36 exposures roll with just the end part of the film, but I think I could have get 4 frames instead of just 3.
If you add another 3 or four from the start, that would be 43 or 44.

With the Pentax K1000, you can shoot from the very beginning. Let me try how many I can squeeze and will be reporting back.
03-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax1000 Quote

It would be a wast of money, time and unexposed frames.
I spend more on a beer than what your saving and that's not counting your labor.
03-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax1000 Quote
Reporting in. It worked great the saliva version but not exactly as described. After trying countless times without any success, I finally attached a piece of adhesive tape in a way that the adhesive part will stick to the leader of the roll i wanted to retrieve, then I inserted it and it worked. Let me post an image of what I did:

I do that too, but it is not possible to do it with all cameras. And also you can get more than 39!!!

For example, one of my cameras, a Zenit 122K, won't open the curtains until you release the shutter speed several times until the frame counter reaches the "frame 1" number, so you are like wasting several frames, which, in the Zenit, are 4 frames. This makes 36 + 4 = 40. Maybe 39, if you don't want to go that far.

Then, you can get another 4 frames from the end, until there is physically no more film.

With the Zenit, the further I went was 39 frames in a 36 exposures roll with just the end part of the film, but I think I could have get 4 frames instead of just 3.
If you add another 3 or four from the start, that would be 43 or 44.

With the Pentax K1000, you can shoot from the very beginning. Let me try how many I can squeeze and will be reporting back.
Good job!

I have managed to get 40 frames from a 36exp roll.

I thought the Nikons were overbearing but not like the Zenit! On the Nikon F3, FA & FE2, they fixed the shutter speed to sync speed regardless of setting and mode until the frame counter gets to 1. This was supposed to be a convenience when a new roll is installed and you mistakenly set to aperture priority with a lens cap on.

Maybe you need to try a half frame camera . . .

---------- Post added 03-09-15 at 06:10 PM ----------

Film retrieval using double sided tape routine ->