Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
AE lock

Pentax was first to design and market aperture priority autoexposure when they released the Electro Spotmatic in 1971. However, they didn't see fit to provide autoexposure lock until 1985 with the Pentax P3/P30. Was this a major ommission or it's no big deal and just switch to manual mode?

03-11-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cannot remember the last time I used the AE-L function, ever.
03-11-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The only time I really use it is if I want to meter to the sky and lock AE to reduce blown out pics in a scene. Other than that, I never use it either.
03-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well implemented AE lock makes autoexposure almost as easy to fully control as manual, and often faster.
Used in conjunction with substitute metering AE lock is a powerful tool. I use it all the time.

IMO the lack of AE lock is the most glaring omission on most Pentax manual focus AE bodies, especially the LX.
Yes, I am familiar with the rationale for not including it on the LX, but I'm not buying that argument.

The K2DMD predates the P series and does include AE lock.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-11-2015 at 02:56 PM.
03-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Yes the K2DMD was the first Pentax SLR to have it when it was released in 1976.

Phil.
03-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I seldom used AE until I got a body with spot meter and exposure lock (Leica R4). I could pick a spot suitable for "grey" half-press the shutter button to lock, and reframe to compose. I would have loved this on my LX. Now I use the A7 for digital the same way with spot, but with all my SMC-M lenses (and sometimes Leica R).
03-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Usually I'd use manual - it's simpler and easier, but AE lock takes on a different meaning when used with HyperManual in the Z-1 (or DSLRs). On the Z-1 when using HyperManual, pressing the 'IF' button (green button on DSLRs) selects the Program line but both aperture & shutter speed can then be tweaked. If you press the AE lock button at this point, it locks the set EV value (combination of aperture & shutter speed) spin either dial and it selects either Av or Tv modes (depending on the dial) using this locked EV value. This means that in HyperManual a few clicks allow you to work in M, P, Av or Tv seamlessly.

03-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use it all the time, when there is a scene that has a lot of contrast and when I need to recompose. Particularly, it is useful for some old manual focus lenses where you cannot choose a focus point in 1/3rd of the frame.
03-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I use AE Lock on my Ricoh XR7 all the time. The button is handy and it sure beats switching to M-mode. The lack of AE lock was one of the reasons why I bought the XR7 over the ME Super back in the day. (The two cameras were the same price, BTW...)

Strangely, I almost never use it on my K-3 or on the K10D while I still had that camera.

Steve
03-17-2015, 04:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

On cameras with rotary shutter speed dials (classic Chinons, Ricohs etc) I flick round manually to the best balance of exposure. But anything with buttons I use the AEL, because getting to the correct shutter speed manually is far too aggravating. The fact that the ME Super lacks both AEL and a rotary shutter speed dial (and DoF preview) is why I find myself picking up the CE-4s instead of it a lot of the time. It's just so much easier to use.

It is actually useful on the original Program-only P30, since it's a lot quicker than coming out of P mode and matching those LEDs.
03-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Newer use AE-L function. Reason is that exposure should stay locked until I press AE-L again. Implemented like now makes me take pics thinking that exposure is locked but sometimes its not cos lock will off automatically and thats something I can not accept. So I use M-mode alot...
03-18-2015, 07:59 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
Newer use AE-L function. Reason is that exposure should stay locked until I press AE-L again. Implemented like now makes me take pics thinking that exposure is locked but sometimes its not cos lock will off automatically and thats something I can not accept. So I use M-mode alot...
M is best for me as well. On my K10D M is my USER mode (I only have one). I have it set to my first choice of ISO (the max usable: 400) because I use it most with my M 400, where I need the best shutter speed I can get. Yeah, I know, it's time to buy a K-3.
03-25-2015, 05:02 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
I missed that one likely because I have never owned one.

I can appreciate the utility of a well implemented AE lock but only in conjunction with spot metering and not with center, averaging or any other matrix metering systems.
03-25-2015, 09:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

+1 AE with spot metering, still remember it was very good idea when using diafilm and exposure can not be adjusted later
03-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't need matrix, don't need spot.
Simple center-weighted metering with my brain to mediate its use works fine most of the time.
And when it doesn't it's a learning experience. That's half the fun. Remember fun?
"Getting the shot" 100% of the time sounds pretty boring to me, actually.
Were I a professional photographer I'd probably feel differently.
But that too would kill the joy for me.
Been there, done that...

Chris