Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2015, 08:51 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote
In my experience, PZ-1p is the best and ZX-L is second. MZ-S isn't as convenient to use. 5n feels weaker than ZX-L. ZX-L improves many areas on ZX-7.

Do you consider manual focus film cameras? If you do, KX is top of my recommendations.
Yeah, I want to try it later if I satisfied with my results. So far, I didn't read too much review about them, but based on my current knowledge I liked the SuperProgram (because of the 1/2000 shutter speed), KX and MX but I didn't dig too deep.

03-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I have watched the MZ-S plummet in price the last month. Must be the new full frame or something, or the fact that I paid much more last year :-)

$200 seems to be the new normal in 2015.
03-12-2015, 10:10 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A less expensive option is the Z20. There is a review here on the forum.
03-12-2015, 10:59 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really like the ZX-5 that I got off ebay. I've only gone through one roll with it (takes me forever to get through a roll) but really like it and hope it lasts. It was so nice to graduate to it from the ME Super!

03-12-2015, 11:41 PM   #20
Pentaxian

btw, any estimate of life span of these motors? I purchased ZX-10 in late 1997 and used it regularly till 2005 - I might have shot over 150-200 rolls. The only problem I faced was pop-up flash, otherwise it was working fine till I sold it. Just wondering if I was lucky with my zx-10 or is it something happening after a few thousand accuations.
03-13-2015, 03:29 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
I have watched the MZ-S plummet in price the last month.
Must be the new full frame or something, or the fact that I paid much more last year :-)

$200 seems to be the new normal in 2015.

Recently I've noticed a glut of more reasonably priced MZ-S and MZ-3 bodies on eBay from dealers in Japan.
Likewise some other highly sought-after high-end film camera models from other manufacturers.
I suspect many loyal film camera users in Japan are by now simply "aging out" of the hobby.

Chris
03-13-2015, 04:50 AM   #22

I agree with what other users told you: try to repair it buying spare parts from the internet. But before doing so, I would search internet for other people that tried to repair it and how successful they were, how the proceeded, etc... If you like your ZX-7 camera, it is likely the best thing you can do is repair it.
But if the repairing costs and/or effort is too high in comparison with getting a new one, you may consider purchasing a new ZX-7 or try to find a different camera with the same features as the ZX-7.

Also, I would consider purchasing a completely manual SLR that is long known to be reliable and simple, for example, something like a K1000, with just aperture and speed to mess with. I find it pretty simple. I even think this kind of cameras are faster to use in manual mode than automatic cameras that you need to trip around menus or use key combinations.

03-13-2015, 05:52 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Don't discount the SF1n. Big, ugly, cheap, and does it all.
03-13-2015, 07:08 AM   #24
Veteran Member

My Z1-p doesn't get much use ever since I got an MZ-6 the MZ-6 does everything I want it to. Because you doesn't want to spend too much this is my suggestion. I have the grip as well with lithium AA batteries. It even does wireless flash and takes the same remote cable as my DSLR.
03-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's one ZX-L at good price: Pentax ZX L SLR Camera w SMC Pentax FA 28 90mm Lens 1 3 5 5 6 w Case and Ins 027075310254 | eBay
But it seems to be a re-listing - worth to contact seller first.

To be clear, I don't know the seller. Just think the price is good. IMO, no need to repair the ZX-7 as ZX-L (MZ-6) is much improved on ZX-7 and much better.

Last edited by hyyz; 03-13-2015 at 08:59 AM.
03-13-2015, 07:58 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recommend the ZX-5N/MZ-5N for its conventional controls and solid glass pentaprism.
Beware; like the rest of the series it is subject to premature failure of the plastic gear.

I bought a non-functioning MZ-3. I had Eric Hendrickson install the upgraded motor with brass gear.
I also had him replace the standard focusing screen with one from a ZX-M/MZ-M (manual focus).
It works great for manual focus lenses with focus confirmation, and AF still works great.
Also at my request Eric removed that damned date back and installed a plain one.

I tried a PZ-1P and sold it. It was far too complicated for me. FWIW the manual is 100+ pages.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-27-2015 at 06:05 PM.
03-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I loved the small reference card to keep track of the pz-1 customization options.
03-13-2015, 11:12 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's one ZX-L at good price: Pentax ZX L SLR Camera w SMC Pentax FA 28 90mm Lens 1 3 5 5 6 w Case and Ins 027075310254 | eBay
But it seems to be a re-listing - worth to contact seller first.

To be clear, I don't know the seller. Just think the price is good. IMO, no need to repair the ZX-7 as ZX-L (MZ-6) is much improved on ZX-7 and much better.

Thanks! I ended up with buying this one!
03-15-2015, 07:32 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO, no need to repair the ZX-7 as ZX-L (MZ-6) is much improved on ZX-7 and much better.
Is this speculation on your part or do you know something we don't know?

I have never seen any data regarding which ZX/MZ models were manufactured with the failure-prone plastic gear and which, if any, with the revised motor with metal gear.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I have assumed all models except perhaps the radically different MZ-S are so affected.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-15-2015 at 02:05 PM.
03-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Is this speculation on your part or do you know something we don't know?

I have never seen any data regarding which ZX/MZ models were were manufactured with the failure-prone plastic gear and which, if any, with the revised motor with metal gear.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I have assumed all models except perhaps the radically different MZ-S are so affected.

Chris
I meant function-wise ZX-L is much improved on ZX-7. I believe ZX-L was based on ZX-7 but it improved several areas, including personal functions, spot meter mode, advanced flash support, higher flash sync speed, better grip shape, etc. You may check Bojidar's K mount website to find details. Due to this as well as current low price of both cameras, there is no need to take the hassle to replace motor. Just buy a ZX-L and you will get more of a camera than ZX-7.

I'm not sure whether ZX-L has better motor but some people suggested so.