Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
K1000 body refurbishment

I recently bought the k1000,the internal mechanics are good but the body looks dilapidated.i need to replace the leather and paint it..any help on that??

04-02-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marina CA
Posts: 344
Try Armor all instead of paint.
04-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,457
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Ummm, I would skip the Armor All. It will make the camera hard to hold and it gets on everything. The leatherette may clean up with nicely with some dish soap in water. Depending on the material, a little black shoe polish may help as well. As for the "paint", it is actually an anodized metallic finish. It rubs off the corners and scratches and is generally not worth attempting a repair. Paint will not stick.


Steve
04-03-2015, 04:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 365
QuoteOriginally posted by girimugundan Quote
I recently bought the k1000,the internal mechanics are good but the body looks dilapidated.i need to replace the leather and paint it..any help on that??
If you're looking to fill in the black lettering, Thin some black paint with the appropriate thinner (not too thin, just enough so it's encouraged to move about), and let it flow into the recesses. If any spill over, quickly wipe it off with a rag. I did this with my KX and some hobby paints, and the paintwork still holds up.

04-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
patrick9's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Murfreesboro Tennessee
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,353
I replaced the leather on my FM2. I got it from cameraleather.com. It came with easy to follow instructions. I liked it so much, I am planning on redoing a couple of my other cameras as well.. These are after during and before. The tape was just to hold the brass cover in place till I was ready to install the new leather. That piece was loose.
Disclaimer. I am not affiliated with cameraleather.com.
Attached Images
     
04-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I replaced the leather on my FM2. I got it from cameraleather.com. It came with easy to follow instructions. I liked it so much, I am planning on redoing a couple of my other cameras as well.. These are after during and before. The tape was just to hold the brass cover in place till I was ready to install the new leather. That piece was loose.
Disclaimer. I am not affiliated with cameraleather.com.
thank you..i know about the leather..i have access to my own. It's the paint that am worried about. i thought it was a baked finish.
some suggest spray paint.
04-04-2015, 11:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,457
QuoteOriginally posted by girimugundan Quote
It's the paint that am worried about. i thought it was a baked finish.
some suggest spray paint.
The black trim paint around the leather is lacquer. The silver is an anodized finish.
04-05-2015, 12:55 AM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The black trim paint around the leather is lacquer. The silver is an anodized finish.
Thank you Steve. for the welcome and everything..am new here in the restoration stuff.
I had a minolta maxxum and it stopped working recently.I live in India,vintage cameras in
perfect working capacity are hard to come by...well mine works and i need to refurbish the body,
any way to paint the body?.any help would be much appreciated.

04-05-2015, 06:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
patrick9's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Murfreesboro Tennessee
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,353
Are You wanting to repaint the trim, or refinish the entire body? I would personally probably not paint the body. Maybe polish the body and refinish the trim, I used a very small cotton brush and automotive paint to repair my trim on the FM.
04-07-2015, 02:05 AM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Are You wanting to repaint the trim, or refinish the entire body? I would personally probably not paint the body. Maybe polish the body and refinish the trim, I used a very small cotton brush and automotive paint to repair my trim on the FM.
the trim and the leather are not the problem..the chrome finish is..it's scratched very badly.
04-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Moe49's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz Mtns. USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 492
>the trim and the leather are not the problem..the chrome finish is..it's scratched very badly.<

I replace scruffy chrome and black Pentax camera parts with New Old Stock top covers, base plates and film doors. I have found several on eBay, and some here at PF Marketplace the past few years (SV, ES II, K1000SE, K2, KX, KM, ME-F, MX, LX...). The base plates and film doors I replace myself. For top cover installation, I send the camera to Eric (and usually have him perform the CLA too).
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Moe49; 04-09-2015 at 08:29 AM.
04-17-2015, 10:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 492
QuoteOriginally posted by girimugundan Quote
the trim and the leather are not the problem..the chrome finish is..it's scratched very badly.
Not much you can do for chrome, you can remove the chrome and paint the base metal (or plastic) but that is dissemble the camera. They do look nice in black.
04-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
In my experience chrome ages better than black paint...it's tougher.
04-18-2015, 01:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 492
Yes paint dissappears but if the shell is brass it is yellow and pretty and it looks like a pro camera and is pretty.

Rechroming to same finish is expensive.

If you don't like current chrome repaint or bin are only real options neither easy or cheap.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lens Refurbishment in UK & IRE penoh1891 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 09-22-2010 01:47 PM
For Sale - Sold: K1000 bodies, ME Super Body, Damaged K1000 SE Body Rustyoldbug Sold Items 7 11-11-2009 08:48 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K1000 body SteveM Sold Items 5 10-05-2009 10:05 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K1000 Body Only Rhizo Sold Items 9 04-20-2009 03:26 PM
For Sale - Sold: FS: Pentax K1000 (Body only)+body cap+leather case+ strap Not Registered Sold Items 3 11-02-2007 07:51 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:51 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top