Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
What was the cost of a cla? The Asa ring is stuck on this one but everything else seems perfectly fine.
Eric has CLA'ed two K2DMD's for me. one cost $71.00 and the other $75.00.

Phil.

04-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #17
Site Supporter

FWIW even serviced the film speed ring is not easy to use.
There's a trick to it which must be learned.

IIRC camera must be held one particular way and the technique requires two hands.
The instruction manual (especially the poor copy on the Ricoh/Pentax site) is not much help.

OTOH it's far easier to inadvertently change the concentric exposure compensation ring...

Chris
04-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K2 was/is one of my all time favorite 35mm Pentax bodies.
I actually preferred the K2's ASA ring to most other ASA dials. I found it easier and quicker to adjust, and I actually used it for exposure compensation instead of the EV Comp dial.
My method was, while holding the camera as if shooting from the waist,
use middle finger of right hand to press asa lock/release button on bottom, then use middle finger of left hand to adjust asa ring.
04-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Interesting. I sold my K2DMD's and now never use my remaining K2.
I think it's my least favorite K-series body.

Bear in mind that I'm someone who wasn't thrilled with the Pentax LX.
I sold that one, too.

OTOH I do love the Pentax KX; so much so that I now own three of them!

Chris

04-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
My K2 was/is one of my all time favorite 35mm Pentax bodies.
I actually preferred the K2's ASA ring to most other ASA dials. I found it easier and quicker to adjust, and I actually used it for exposure compensation instead of the EV Comp dial.
My method was, while holding the camera as if shooting from the waist,
use middle finger of right hand to press asa lock/release button on bottom, then use middle finger of left hand to adjust asa ring.
I think most of the ASA rings get stuck because people don't know who to set it up correctly, as said before at first it's not very intuitive (the K2 is the only camera with such a device) and probably they push it too hard.
04-05-2015, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I think most of the ASA rings get stuck because people don't know who to set it up correctly, as said before at first it's not very intuitive (the K2 is the only camera with such a device) and probably they push it too hard.
I found this card in one of my K2 manuals, so yes people must have been having issues with the ASA ring.

Phil.
Attached Images

04-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Yes that's the correct procedure and the only way to operate it, the first time I put my hands on my K2 I also changed the exposure factor and I dreaded the ASA ring was stuck, it took me some minutes to figure out how it really worked and when I found it out I thought it was a well designed device.

People also have similar problems setting the ASA dial of Canon F-1s and A-1s, they work on a similar principle but they are on a more usual position on the camera and they are not couples with the exposure dial.
04-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Luckily the vast majority of the film I shoot is 100ASA so perhaps I'll just stick with that!

K.

04-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #24
Pentaxian

probably they push it too hard
That was my issue - trying too hard.
04-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #25
Lens Buying Addict

and probably they push it too hard
That is exactly correct - the secret is to gently depress the button and not touch the raised EV controls.

Having said that, I've owned and sold 3 K2's and a DMD. I've owned and sold a number of MX'es, a SuperPROGRAM, an LX (actually, not yet sold), a K1000SE, a KM, an MZ-S and all of the M42 bodies after the SV.

They were fun to use and the DMD was fun as a collectible but the only ones I can't let go of are the KX'es. I have three.
04-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
$75 for a CLA doesn't seem bad. I definitely like the heft and size better than the LX I used to have, but I really don't ever shoot MF unless I'm using my rangefinders. DMD are my initials too, so that's neat itself.

So what's one of these worth?
04-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #27
Lens Buying Addict

There's not really a ready, broad market so value is a combination of collectibility (makes it higher than a regular K2) and condition - in particular cosmetic condition and what additional items such as user guide or ER case.are included.
these days a clean, CLA'ed, fully functional example might be as low as $200 or as high as $250 - $300. An example with small brass showing on the corners but everything else functional might be $50 less. Sellers tend not to get the value of a CLA back when they sell cameras (excelt the LX); the CLA merely serves as an indication that the camera is functional.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-06-2015 at 11:01 AM.
04-08-2015, 01:19 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I found this card in one of my K2 manuals, so yes people must have been having issues with the ASA ring.

Phil.
YES!
That did the trick! Thanks for posting.

I have been struggeling not understanding which wheel to turn.
04-16-2015, 10:11 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ha much success! Read the manual and googled the ASA ring some more, and it's working smoothly! Then I dropped some fresh batteries in and we're up and running 100%! now the hard question, should it stay or should it go...
04-17-2015, 02:45 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
should it stay or should it go...
It should go, I'll give you my address .....