Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2015, 08:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tell me about the Pentax K2 DMD

Found this in my local pawn shops old camera collection, along with a grip of other vintage cameras.

Seems to be in good shape. Not sure if I want to keep it or pass it on. Don't know much about these.

04-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could pass it on to me

This is the top of the line K series film camera. It has a few features additional to the K2 (Judas window for starters). It can also be used with a Motor Drive - exceedingly rare. Many say this is a very good camera.

I am awaiting mine to arrive at Eric's for a CLA - hope to better understand this camera in the next month of so.
04-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax K2 DMD - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
04-04-2015, 04:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

TAKE IT!TAKE IT!TAKE IT!

This is the only thing you need to know.

04-04-2015, 05:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's one of my main want to have Pentaxes after seeing a badly beaten up copy!
04-04-2015, 10:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is just SICK

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Found this in my local pawn shops old camera collection,
Each time I check out a thrift store or pawn shop, I find only junk

That K2DMD is worth having, even if it needs some service.
I own two K2s, and among the numerous Pentax film cameras I own, the K2 is one of my favorite 'shooters'.

A K2DMD is on my want list, too.

Last edited by Moe49; 04-17-2015 at 05:56 AM.
04-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote

I own two K2s. Among the numerous Pentax film cameras I own, the K2 is one of my favorite 'shooters'.

A theoretically nice feature about the K2DMD is the AE-Lock - the plain K2 doesn't have it as far as I know. It has been on my wishlist for that reason (and the black color and ISO-range to 6400) for some time, too. Now that I got it I realize that it A) is a pretty hefty camera and B) the AE-Lock button is a little hard to use in practice if you want to correct focus after locking the exposure and last but not least C) the great meter range doesn't really help if you can't read the needle meter in dark conditions. A I got it as a bargin (30€), I still enjoy using it a lot, though. The sound and feel of the shutter are very satisfying and with that heftyness comes great trust in the camera's durability.

04-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I own two K2s. Among the numerous Pentax film cameras I own, the K2 is one of my favorite 'shooters'.

Yes I spent 100 euros for mine and I'm happy with that.

For some reason it also feels "better quality" than the LX.
04-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I can comfort you with the fact that you're not alone.
04-04-2015, 12:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have owned a couple of K2DMD bodies, both serviced by Eric Hendrickson. I still own a K2 serviced by him.

The K2DMD has AE lock and in-finder aperture display, nice features not included on the K2.
Unfortunately they didn't fix that terrible film speed/exposure compensation ring around the lensmount.

The so-called motor drive barely manages 2 fps. I've never seen one complete with working battery pack.

Not sure why some like the sound of the metal shutters on these cameras. Perhaps it reminds them of a handgun.

Chris
04-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I picked up one cheapish a short while ago and have just sent it off to Eric for a CLA. I'll get it back on my next trip to the US in May, then I'll have a couple of weeks to run some film through it.

K.
04-04-2015, 04:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What was the cost of a cla? The Asa ring is stuck on this one but everything else seems perfectly fine.
04-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The K2DMD has AE lock and in-finder aperture display, nice features not included on the K2.
Unfortunately they didn't fix that terrible film speed/exposure compensation ring around the lensmount.

[...]

Not sure why some like the sound of the metal shutters on these cameras. Perhaps it reminds them of a handgun.

Chris
I don't have any problems with my film speed ring at all, it just takes some getting used to. This doesn't mean that there's at least 2 or 3 better ways to do it.

As to the shutter sound, on my DMD it's just a dry and not too loud "clack", combined with a smooth feel of the whole process. My MX on the other hand utters different kinds of "CLANK!" when fired, depending on the shutter speed. As much as I like the MX, its handling, size and simplicity, taking a picture with the DMD just satisfies urges on a different level. I never handled a handgun, so this might explain why
04-04-2015, 10:39 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Not sure why some like the sound of the metal shutters on these cameras.
The 6x7 is louder and better!

Phil.
04-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
What was the cost of a cla? The Asa ring is stuck on this one but everything else seems perfectly fine.
I haven't had the estimate yet, I'll let you know when I do. K.