Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #1

Pentax MG won't take photos.

Hello. I am a digital photographer who just got a film camera passed down. My Pentax MG seems like its in great shape, but there seems to be a problem.

The camera will not click and take the photo when I press the shutter. I doubt its batteries because the lights come up in the viewfinder. My viewfinder never goes black. Nothing goes on the film because nothing happens. When I opened up the camera and press the buttons and wound it up and everything, nothing inside moves. The mirror is set in the same place. The little hook on the left side does not move. When I push it up, nothing moves. I did not go as far as trying to move the mirror. Also, when I first got it, I noticed the viewfinder has this little rectangular thing in it. It is probably metal. I feel like it is the shutter part that makes the vf go black.

Also, the shutter behind the film barely nudges. Goes up about 1mm when the shutter is depressed. Doesn't work on 100x or bulb. Still nothing happens on auto.

Not sure whats going on.

04-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does the shutter work in Bulb mode? No other ideas, sorry.
04-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless it has sentimental value, there are plenty of other pentax film bodies out there. That one seems to run about $10-20 in good working condition on eBay. It was an entry level camera in the early 80s.

If it does have sentimental value, you should probably send it to Eric for repair and refinishing. It'll probably cost a bit under $100.
04-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's hard to come across MG or MV bodies in good condition- they must have been real workhorses back in the day.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So the first thing to do is to open the back and to wind the shutter on using the winding crank on the right top of the body. You should see the film winding spool move, and the shutter curtains reset for the next exposure. If this is not happening then there is a fault in the winding mechanism, or the shutter mechanism and your best solution is to accept the camera will not work and get another body if you want to shoot film.

Regards

Chris
04-06-2015, 09:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Does the shutter work in Bulb mode? No other ideas, sorry.
Nothing in bulb or 100x.

---------- Post added 04-06-15 at 09:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Unless it has sentimental value, there are plenty of other pentax film bodies out there. That one seems to run about $10-20 in good working condition on eBay. It was an entry level camera in the early 80s.

If it does have sentimental value, you should probably send it to Eric for repair and refinishing. It'll probably cost a bit under $100.
I suppose it does have sentinental value, as my grandma gave it to me. I do see $34 bodies on eBay. Just wondering if there was a cheap fix before I bought another body.

---------- Post added 04-06-15 at 09:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's hard to come across MG or MV bodies in good condition- they must have been real workhorses back in the day.
Yes, my grandma spent hundreds. There is one I see online for cheap in working condition. I guess this MG body will be another prop if I can't fix it.

---------- Post added 04-06-15 at 09:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote

And if my people here in the next city try to charge me an arm and a leg, I will go to Eric. Is he really good?
04-06-2015, 10:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stefjord Quote
Is he really good?
Yes, he's fixed many cameras for members here. He used to work for Pentax.