Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd rather fight than switch. (Tareyton)

Greetings,

There have been few times when I was embarrassed at having to ask a question. This is one of those times.
I recently purchased a Pentax P3 camera. I had one of these many years ago, and since my SF-10 gave up the ghost,
I decided to go lightly and buy another fun P3. My problem is, even after viewing the instruction manual online, I do not know how to set the shutter speed dial to the Program position. All of my Pentax lenses have the A position, so it should not be that difficult to solve the problem. When I do set the lens to the A position, the "P" pops up on the viewfinder data column. Thanks for any assistance offered.

regards,

Tony

04-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Greetings,

There have been few times when I was embarrassed at having to ask a question. This is one of those times.
I recently purchased a Pentax P3 camera. I had one of these many years ago, and since my SF-10 gave up the ghost,
I decided to go lightly and buy another fun P3. My problem is, even after viewing the instruction manual online, I do not know how to set the shutter speed dial to the Program position. All of my Pentax lenses have the A position, so it should not be that difficult to solve the problem. When I do set the lens to the A position, the "P" pops up on the viewfinder data column. Thanks for any assistance offered.

regards,

Tony
I'm pretty sure that on the P3, if the aperture ring is set to A, the camera defaults to Program mode regardless of where the shutter dial is set.
That camera has P, Av, and M mode, but not Tv mode.
04-06-2015, 10:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I'm pretty sure that on the P3, if the aperture ring is set to A, the camera defaults to Program mode regardless of where the shutter dial is set.
That camera has P, Av, and M mode, but not Tv mode.
Thank you for your answer. Well, that makes me wonder why the word 'PROGRAM' is on the shutter speed dial. Go figure.

Thanks again.

tt
04-07-2015, 07:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_p3.pdf

04-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Thank you for your answer. Well, that makes me wonder why the word 'PROGRAM' is on the shutter speed dial. Go figure.

Thanks again.

tt
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Page 22 in the manual tells all...

Steve

(...one of the reasons why I would favor the P3n over the P3...)
04-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Page 22 in the manual tells all...

Steve

(...one of the reasons why I would favor the P3n over the P3...)
I'm pretty certain the P3n/P30t behaves exactly the same as the P3 when the aperture ring is set to A.
04-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I'm pretty certain the P3n/P30t behaves exactly the same as the P3 when the aperture ring is set to A.
The P3n has true Tv and Av modes and has a "A" position on the shutter dial with behavior similar to the Super Program. The P3 only supports Program and manual modes. When the aperture ring on the P3 is on the "A" position, the camera is in program mode regardless of the position of the shutter dial (p22 of the manual). When in other than the "A" position, it is in metered manual (p24). That little "n" in the name of the newer camera signaled a big change.

Steve

(...used to have a P3n and should have kept it...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-07-2015 at 05:38 PM.
04-07-2015, 05:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The P3n has a true Tv and Av modes and has a "A" position on the shutter dial similar to the Super Program. The P3 only supports Program and manual modes.

Steve
According to Pentax Forums database, as well as Dimitrov's site, non of the P series bodies have a Tv mode. The P3n/P30t has Av mode, while the P3 is only P and M.

(edit... just checked my P30t. With aperture ring on A, camera defaults to P regardless of shutter dial position.)

Last edited by Swift1; 04-07-2015 at 05:45 PM.
04-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The P3n has true Tv and Av modes and has a "A" position on the shutter dial with behavior similar to the Super Program. The P3 only supports Program and manual modes. When the aperture ring on the P3 is on the "A" position, the camera is in program mode regardless of the position of the shutter dial (p22 of the manual). When in other than the "A" position, it is in metered manual (p24). That little "n" in the name of the newer camera signaled a big change.

Steve

(...used to have a P3n and should have kept it...)
The manual for the P3n says Programmed AE, Aperture-priority AE, Metered Manual, and Programmed Auto Flash. The n had Av mode but not Tv.
04-07-2015, 08:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Greetings,

regards,

Tony
I'd rather fight than switch. (Tareyton)

Wow! I had completely forgotten that advt campaign.
04-07-2015, 09:42 PM   #11
Site Supporter

According to Pentax Forums database, as well as Dimitrov's site, non of the P series bodies have a Tv mode. The P3n/P30t has Av mode, while the P3 is only P and M.

(edit... just checked my P30t. With aperture ring on A, camera defaults to P regardless of shutter dial position.)
You are correct, no Tv mode...

Steve