Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How do you check for the light leaks?

How do you check for the light leaks in the camera without shooting film?

I was thinking to put a small led inside the film compartment but just wondering of other techniques.

Thanks
Yusuf

04-09-2015, 10:15 PM   #2

In the past I used a small "grain of wheat" light bulb inside the camera body. The wires were thin enough that the back could be closed without introducing leaks on their own. Nowadays I use a small keychain LED flashlight that is small enough to fit inside the film compartment. The drawback with that is it may not reveal leaks on the take up spool side.
04-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Do mean to check for the existence of a light leak or locate a known light leak?
04-10-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Do mean to check for the existence of a light leak or locate a known light leak?
My question as well. I might also ask what type of camera are you checking? For SLRs any leak will be in the film compartment and there really is nothing to check beyond making sure the seals are all good, particularly the hinge seals. Also whether there are holes in the shutter curtains.

If you are looking for light leaks that crop up on long exposures (ala those that have been a problem on the A7), a good approach is to look through the back of the camera in a darkened room with the shutter open in "B", while shining a bright LED on the suspected sources for the leak.

Steve

04-14-2015, 06:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
looking to find existence of any light leak while purchasing a camera.
04-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
looking to find existence of any light leak while purchasing a camera.

- Make sure the lens cap is on tight.
- Set aperture to minimum.
- Set shutter to B.
- Get in as bright lighting as possible.
- Keep your eye to the viewfinder or tape it over.
- Take a several second long exposure.
- Look for anything on the exposure beside random noise.

Last edited by civiletti; 04-14-2015 at 03:38 PM. Reason: add