Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Funny digital to film comment.

Canon 5D owner bought a 35mm film EOS Rebel as backup while the digital camera went in for repair. Never had a film camera before. Was relieved to find that the film camera was Full Frame. After buying the camera customer asks " how do I set this to monochrome"? Reach to the shelf behind me and pluck a roll of Tmax 100 laying it on the counter. The look on the customers face was so funny.
This customer now prefers the look of B&W film to the 5D. Evil person I am said " wait untill you see medium format film". Wil take the ol' Pentax 6x7 in and really shock the person. Imagine bigger than FF!
thanks
barondla

Enter POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #7 in P&S forum. Any camera type except slr. Any brand. Any subject. Two days left.

06-06-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Good story, barondla

I have been considering medium format for the last couple of years. Are there any good MF cameras that are not the kind that are virtually all plastic (in order to save weight because of their larger size). If I did try MF, I would want something well-made...like my Spotmatic F.

Regards,
Glen
06-06-2008, 06:13 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Any of the medium format SLRs from Mamiya, Rollie, Bronica, Pentax, Hasselblad.
06-06-2008, 06:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you don't mind fixed lens, the better TLR's are cheap and produce great results. The Rolleis, Yashica Mats, Richoh Diacords, Minolta Autocords are the widely available cream of the crop.

Also, Fuji and Mamiya made some truly nice rangefinders, which I'm salivating over.

Then there's: KievCamera

Myself, having fondled some mf SLRs, I'm a bit intimidated by their size and heft. So I've made do with a couple of TLRs and some mf folders...

I do see the TLRs have a live view ccd on the top (though for some reason the image is reversed!) but it doesn't go b&w when I set the camera to monochrome. Plus there's no way to get instant replays in order to check focus and white balance. Finally, MF memory cards suck, you can only get them in two sizes: enough to hold either 12 or 24 6x6 images. If I were you I'd think twice before buying one of these obsolete retro-chic cameras.

06-06-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh my. A 5D owner with no idea of how to use film. Or any comprehension of how lenses or cameras work AT ALL. I'd crawl under a very tiny rock if I was in his place.
06-06-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nesster: what do you mean by "retro-chic cameras"?

Glen
06-06-2008, 07:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I'd crawl under a very tiny rock if I was in his place.
Why? Anyone born in the last 20 years probably thinks the only thing film is used for is disposable cameras. Show a slide rule or an abacus to a 20 or 30 year old today and see if they know what it is, let alone how to use it! My kids saw a black and white TV once and asked what was wrong with it.

06-06-2008, 07:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
Nesster: what do you mean by "retro-chic cameras"?

Glen
[removes tongue from cheek] there is something to that retro-chic, so many people, myself included, are getting into vintage cameras, including ones we wouldn't have taken a second look 20 years ago... Of course many of these cameras are fine instruments then and now.
06-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Why? Anyone born in the last 20 years probably thinks the only thing film is used for is disposable cameras. Show a slide rule or an abacus to a 20 or 30 year old today and see if they know what it is, let alone how to use it! My kids saw a black and white TV once and asked what was wrong with it.
I'm one of those people who was born in the past 20 years, and I've used TLRs, I own 4 film cameras, and have AT LEAST a basic understanding of photographic principles and how cameras work exactly, though with my fair share of repairing Russian cameras and rangefinders and refurbishing lenses, I probably go a bit beyond that.

Photographers "born" in the digital age are really quite ignorant. (I'm generalizing now, it doesn't apply to everyone who reads this!)

I never go into anything without learning history and basics. But that's just me, apparently. :ugh:
06-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Reminds me of the customer who handed me her Compact Flash card and asked me to cross process it.

Gerry
06-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photographers "born" in the digital age are really quite ignorant. (I'm generalizing now, it doesn't apply to everyone who reads this!)
How true. I really get a laugh reading some of the stuff written in this very forum.

Chris
06-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I know some of those "young" guys in here that can shoot film better than me .
06-07-2008, 01:19 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Canon 5D owner bought a 35mm film EOS Rebel as backup while the digital camera went in for repair. Never had a film camera before. Was relieved to find that the film camera was Full Frame. After buying the camera customer asks " how do I set this to monochrome"? Reach to the shelf behind me and pluck a roll of Tmax 100 laying it on the counter. The look on the customers face was so funny.
This customer now prefers the look of B&W film to the 5D. Evil person I am said " wait untill you see medium format film". Wil take the ol' Pentax 6x7 in and really shock the person. Imagine bigger than FF!
But, that's impossible! The 5D was designed a few years ago! Film's old! Like, 150 years old! The 5D costs more! It must be better!!!
06-07-2008, 08:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Yes, lithos, it has to be better!
06-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
[removes tongue from cheek] there is something to that retro-chic, so many people, myself included, are getting into vintage cameras, including ones we wouldn't have taken a second look 20 years ago... Of course many of these cameras are fine instruments then and now.
You know, my first camera was a Yashica Campus, and I did actually own a slide rule. Never used it - it was five bucks from a second hand store in Inverell that imported them from China - but I had one and from it I learned that if you're willing to use a slide rule over a mid-nineties pocket calculator you're gonna need one to work out how much time you've wasted on slide rulers.

The past is there to learn from. To regress back to it...well, would I rather have AF and the Internet or film-only and the Cold War?

Are you the same ftpaddict to whom I recommended a film that was first made two years before my father was born ?

My first serious camera was the *istDS. Later, I picked up a Ricoh KR10M, an ME, a pair of ME Supers, even an old Lubitel (wanna help me fix the *&6%ing thing?) and one of the cheap AF Pentaxes.

I'm backwards in that I think, today, that digital is still the best way for kids like me to learn. Anyone who suggest the ol' "MF only, film only, manual only, camera that weighs the same as a US car" approach is seriously under- or overestimating todays youth.

QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
Yes, lithos, it has to be better!
See, that's why you'll never be a pro - a guy who people pay to take photos - look, I don't where, at parties and stuff like you do now, and they'll still marvel at your camera. Myspace photos. Maybe weddings, but you don't know anyone who's getting married. Of course, most of it'll be passing your 1Ds around to really let every drunken idiot gawk at how cool it is. Same as now. It's cool, they don't know that most of the work is coming from the camera. Learning about lighting and taxes and business laws and stuff is just so boring - you can work for free as long as they give you a bar tab. Well, you'll have to buy a flas- sorry, a Speedlite - those things look really pro.

Wait. You spent how much on a body? Fifteen hundred. Ah, you must've gotten the 200mm f3.5 L IS lens second hand. No? An actual new camera body? Hah. Oh, no-nononono-nooo I wasn't laughing at...you. Ok. Good luck to you. You just might wanna go for something that's little better, that's all. I mean, PC Gamer and Cool Beeping Shiny Things Magazine gave the IDs 9.5 out of 10, only marking down on price, but how can that be a disadvantage? I mean it's higher res than film. Well, yeah, even that medium format stuff or whatever, probably. Trust me, it's better. Jeez. All this time "taking" photos - and you don't even have a business card with your flickr profile and Gmail address on it - maybe you should start getting serious.