Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 102
Pentax MX issue

I bought an MX as a part of a lot mainly because it was black and there was a lens I wanted. I received it yesterday and the "fun" started. Mechanically it seems fine except that I can't advance the lever or trip the shutter without the timer being engaged. And when the timer isn't engaged the shutter will work for 2 or 3 advances then lock. Compared to my other MX it looks like the shutter button is also a bit recessed. Meter seems to be stuck on overexposed but I think that might be connected to the first problem. Any advice?

04-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,044
Sounds like it needs work. If so, Eric is the Pentax guy -> Home
05-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
Senior Member
Johnny Rod's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 122
Have you tried it upside down? Could be something as simple as a broken spring on the shutter button, or the halfway lock jamming a bit (the one that keeps the shutter button half way down so the light meter stays on). You can get a service manual from here:
PENTAX MANUALS
though the wiring diagram is rubbish - better one here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/286642-mx-me...ml#post3129408
Stuck on overexposed could be a short or broken connection, you'll just have to investigate, but the foam on the underside of the pentaprism housing does turn to sludge over the years and can get into the potentiometers and cause havoc sometimes.
05-14-2015, 11:10 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 102
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Johnny Rod Quote
Have you tried it upside down? Could be something as simple as a broken spring on the shutter button, or the halfway lock jamming a bit (the one that keeps the shutter button half way down so the light meter stays on). You can get a service manual from here:
PENTAX MANUALS
though the wiring diagram is rubbish - better one here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/286642-mx-me...ml#post3129408
Stuck on overexposed could be a short or broken connection, you'll just have to investigate, but the foam on the underside of the pentaprism housing does turn to sludge over the years and can get into the potentiometers and cause havoc sometimes.

I tried it upside down but the shutter button is fully recessed now. I've put it aside for the time being. I'm going to work on disassembling a lens instead. Thank you though.

05-15-2015, 02:09 AM   #5
Senior Member
Johnny Rod's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 122
Could be something simply stopping the shutter button returning that has precipitated the other problems. I found the service manual quite unhelpful unless you want to strip the camera to all its individual parts and reassemble it - no real guidance in terms of fault-finding.
05-15-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 102
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Johnny Rod Quote
Could be something simply stopping the shutter button returning that has precipitated the other problems. I found the service manual quite unhelpful unless you want to strip the camera to all its individual parts and reassemble it - no real guidance in terms of fault-finding.

Perhaps. I have a working MX but this one is pristine black so it's on the list. I also realized I have the same Pentax cameras as you do in your signature! I'm loving my super A
05-16-2015, 05:48 AM   #7
Senior Member
Johnny Rod's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 122
I've had the Super A for about 18 years, took it all around the world. Social media, snorkelling etc. has led me down the route of cheap digitals but it's still a great camera. The MX I found at work and it made its way home with me. After that i got a bit carried away and bought a few more cameras.
05-16-2015, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,044
QuoteOriginally posted by Johnny Rod Quote
The MX I found at work and it made its way home with me. After that i got a bit carried away and bought a few more cameras.


The MX was also my gateway camera after looking through that gloriously large and bright finder!

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
mx, pentax mx, shutter, timer
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Issue with my MX? troika Pentax Film SLR Discussion 8 09-02-2014 10:44 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax Silver MX - Just Serviced also MX Winder lewis44 Sold Items 2 01-28-2014 10:21 AM
PENTAX MX-1 HIGH-END DIGITAL COMPACT WINS PRESTIGIOUS 2013 DESIGN AWARD MX-1 Receives Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 6 03-21-2013 09:58 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax MX with Winder MX (CLA'd by Eric) (Worldwide) deadwolfbones Sold Items 6 11-16-2010 09:17 AM
Pentax MX metering issue deadwolfbones Pentax Film SLR Discussion 9 09-07-2010 10:39 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:26 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top