Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Shooting in the rain

It's raining here and love to shoot some streets in the rain. What are the options to shoot in rain? I have ME Super, Super A, PZ-1p, MZ-3 - what do you recommend?

Thanks

Yusuf

04-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's protection from the rain for your gear, the simplest and cheapest system is an umbrella. As far as cameras go there, not going to be of much help on that.
04-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in the old days I never worried about rain unless it was a downpour. You can use a plastic grocery bag with a hole cut for the lens to protect the camera. You'll want to have a filter on the lens and keep it wiped dry with a microfiber cloth. Go out and get wet!
04-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A lens hood and a plastic bag.

04-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A LX with fresh seals.
04-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

According to Pentax, the LX were production line tested simulating a sever storm. Except I don't know what lenses are as weather sealed.
04-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife holds an umbrella over me while I shoot.

Phil.

04-23-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
If you are interested in shooting a vintage film camera in the rain, check out the Nikonos series waterproof SLRs.
Probably the most "weather"proof film SLRs ever made.

Interchangeable lens and focal plane shutter, but not an SLR.
They have a big bright optical viewfinder.

I used to worry, even with my LX. Now for bad weather I have a Nikonos V.
They're a great bargain now. IIRC I paid $150 with 35/2.5 lens.

Chris
04-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #9

I use a Nikonos III underwater 35mm camera but when I need to shoot in the rain. The 35mm wide-angle lens and the 80mm telephoto lenses can be used in the rain, under water, or on dry land.

The Nikonos I, II, III, IV, and V were all-weather, manual focus, viewfinder cameras; not single-lens-reflex cameras (SLR).

The Nikonos RS was an all-weather, auto focus, single-lens-reflex camera (SLR).

https://flic.kr/p/8WWa9S
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot G5  Photo 
04-29-2015, 07:54 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
According to Pentax, the LX were production line tested simulating a sever storm. Except I don't know what lenses are as weather sealed.
Exactly! When I use my K 10 or K 5 with WR lenses I don't worry. While my LX bodies are weather sealed, I don't know of any lenses of the film era that are, so an umbrella or plastic bag with cutout for the lens is in order.
04-30-2015, 12:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Pretty sure all lenses have seals to protect the inner components from dust and especially to contain the oil in the blade mechanism and the grease of the focusing thread from spilling on the elements or outside. When we have oil on blades it means these seals started to leak.
04-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Pretty sure all lenses have seals to protect the inner components from dust and especially to contain the oil in the blade mechanism and the grease of the focusing thread from spilling on the elements or outside. When we have oil on blades it means these seals started to leak.
You are probably right. But as far as I know only the WR lenses have a gasket on the mount surface to keep rain, etc, out of the camera body.
04-30-2015, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

LX cutaway:

You can see all the lip seals in the lens.

Still, shooting in the rain with a 30 years old camera and lens is hazardous unless both have been freshly CLAd.
04-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #14
Pentaxian

LX cutaway:

You can see all the lip seals in the lens.

Still, shooting in the rain with a 30 years old camera and lens is hazardous unless both have been freshly CLAd.
Nice find!
05-01-2015, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Most vintage SLR lenses are sort of water resistant as an accident of design. The focus helicoid is full of grease and the other rings and such overlap in such a way to shed incidental splash. Add a filter and most are good to go in mist or spray. I don't know that I remember any lens other than modern ones and waterproof Nikonos Nikkors that have actual seals.

As for the oily blades...usually that is the result of the migration of the oil fraction of grease lubricants from the aperture mechanism over time onto the blades themselves. Another cause is poorly done service. The focus grease pretty much stays put.

Steve