Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #31

As for film, as I'm in the UK I'd suggest Ilford FP4+, HP5+ or Delta 3200 (I appreciate whatever's available locally may influence things in a different direction). Be wary of the zone system - if you take it to it's conclusion it's best for single frame shooting (think large format) where you can give individual negatives 'perfect' development - rather than a whole roll. The ZX-5 should meter through the filter, but strong mono filters often cut out a lot of light (focusing can be a challenge).

05-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
You could keep the filter on, but you may not want to. Orange will darken the blue of the sky, add contrast to clouds, and make green plants darker. It will also alter skin tones. Keep a yellow and a green with you to control contrast under different conditions and a red to add contrast to outdoor shots. Also, if your camera doesn't meter through the lens, don't forget to account for the filter in your exposure calculations.
I like the effect that the orange filters give but will not be shooting landscapes all that much. Most of my shots are at car shows, both indoor and outdoor, and of things around town. For photos of my 6 month old, I will probably run without a filter. For landscapes, the orange. I was thinking that the orange might be a good one for cars as well but not 100% on that. Might add too much contrast losing some of the detail.

The ZX5 meters through the lens. B+W lists it as a two stop, filter factor 4 filter (#16 yellow orange). So, with that information, how should I adapt the camera settings?
05-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You'll loose two stops of light so your ISO 100 film is going to act like it is ISO 25 (another reason not to use it all the time!) although it is often recommended to give it yet another stop... The good thing about BW film is that it has pretty good latitude so even if you don't hit the ideal exposure (whatever that ,ay be!) you'll get something usable as long as you are in the right ball park.

Although the mainstream films like Kodak TMax 100, Ilford Delta 100 or Ilford FP4 will all give you excellent images, I like playing with the less mainstream ones like Rollei Retro and Agfa APX 100. In fact, the Agfa is one of my favourite BW films. It has a certain something about it I like.

Have fun! K.
05-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
You'll loose two stops of light so your ISO 100 film is going to act like it is ISO 25 (another reason not to use it all the time!) although it is often recommended to give it yet another stop... The good thing about BW film is that it has pretty good latitude so even if you don't hit the ideal exposure (whatever that ,ay be!) you'll get something usable as long as you are in the right ball park.

Although the mainstream films like Kodak TMax 100, Ilford Delta 100 or Ilford FP4 will all give you excellent images, I like playing with the less mainstream ones like Rollei Retro and Agfa APX 100. In fact, the Agfa is one of my favourite BW films. It has a certain something about it I like.

Have fun! K.
Forgot about that. So, I have a bunch of TMax 100 iso. Could I then push the roll to make up for the lost speed?

05-14-2015, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
Forgot about that. So, I have a bunch of TMax 100 iso. Could I then push the roll to make up for the lost speed?
Yes, at the expense of grain... The best thing is to keep good notes of what you are doing with each roll until you find a film/filter/speed/developer combination you like. Or, you know what the effect will be. For example, Tri-X pushed to 1600 will have visible grain which really suits some images, and ruins others. You wouldn't want to do wedding pics that way, but contrasty images of a blacksmith at work suit it well.

This is, of course, do as I say and not as I do. I'm lucky if I can remember which lens I used let alone filter/exposure combinations. I generally shoot at "box speed" although when my stock of Fuji Neopan 1600 is used up I'll have to start experimenting with Tri-X pushed to 1600...

Best wishes, Kris.
05-15-2015, 04:53 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was not thinking about pushing it that far. 100 to 1600 is a massive jump. Maybe 400. But yeah, I have a little notebook and will be writing everything down as I go along.

Thanks for the information.