Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2015, 08:19 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Stripping the LX down to bare metal might still not give you the finish you want because Pentax anodized the metal. You know how black camera bodies, when the enamel wears through, the brass shows -- well, Pentax figured that if they anodized the covers, it would prevent this brassy look. Of course that means that the Pentax covers are aluminum and not brass -- right? I've only heard of anodized aluminum. Can other metals even be anodized?

Yeah, about this member stripping lenses -- he's gotten popular recently for customizing the Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 close focus. Does a very good job. A couple of guys over at the MF lenses forum have had this treatment done to their Vivitars. Check it out:

I agree with you, Kriss -- the LX 2000 is a very pretty camera. I'd love to have one with the matching 50/1.2. But I think I'd rather spend the money on a clean used car (my car's broke atm, and I don't know if it's ever gonna be resurrected).

05-18-2015, 12:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes I know and as a matter of fact my LX does have some sign of "debrassing" or better "dealuminisation", you can see the matt silver metal underneath the gloss black finish. IMO it looks better than with brass.

For anodisation, in Engineering we mean a surface threatment of passivation used to preserve the surface of material whose oxide sticks on the base metal (unlike rust that detaches from iron and therefore reforms on an on until you have holes in the metal), in particular anodisation as term suggest is obtained through an electrolytic process placing the piece of aluminium as anode (negative pole) in a circuit.

The result is a homogenous layer of Al2O3 that looks matt silver and usually it's made for aesthetic purposes as the aluminium oxide would eventually cover the piece of bare metal anyway, but perhaps not with homogenous thickness or in a perfect flat way, that's the reason why I say a stripped LX might be attractive and look good with a matt chromed or nickeled lens.

Ok, lesson of chemistry over! :P
05-18-2015, 12:42 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another owner's manual source:

Pentax LX camera manual, user manual
05-18-2015, 01:25 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, MD, I already d/l'd a copy -- from the same source.