Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2015, 12:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Source for LX Winder/Motor Port Covers?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just bought an LX and discovered that one of the two ports for the Winder/Motor is missing. So I went on eBay to see if anyone might have one to sell. Well, I didn't find any for the LX, but I did find several listings for covers to fit M-series. They're all chrome, but if one will fit, I don't much care. So, will an M-series cover fit, does anyone know? I don't have an M-series camera to try it out on. Oh, and I've shot a roll of film with the camera, but haven't developed the film yet. Am I risking exposing the film by having that cover off? This one is the cover immediately below the take-up spool.

Last edited by cooltouch; 05-18-2015 at 01:23 AM.
05-18-2015, 01:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No, the M series one are much bigger. I have a feeling that the LX ones are vital as they can let light in without them, but I may be mis-remembering that.

Best wishes, Kris.
05-18-2015, 01:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Kris. Here's hoping you've misremembered. Or else I just wasted my last roll of Plus-X.
05-18-2015, 01:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently shot off a roll with my newly acquired LX without realising it was missing something important. The clearly very cluey technician at Atkins Technicolour told me to expect light leakage, but luckily there was none :-D

I will be covering it with gaffer tape from now on though....

05-18-2015, 02:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just unscrewed the cover under where the roll of film would be and it opens up into the film compartment. Just a hole that uncovers the bottom of the roll. Definitely a source of light leaks on that side of the camera. The one that's missing just uncovers a lug that the drive will fit onto, which makes me think that it's light tight.

Sandy, I'll bet you're missing the same cover I am. So here's hoping that my last roll of Plus-X wasn't wasted. I was also thinking of covering it with tape if I can't find a cover. An inelegant solution, but it should work.
05-18-2015, 02:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, I'm missing the cover for the HUGE hole under the film spool. Needless to say I am *not* happy with the seller, for many more reasons beyond this.
The transaction was not done through the PF marketplace, so I wont bang on about it here.
05-18-2015, 02:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, if you do have the cover for the other side of the bottom plate, try moving it over to cover up that hole. Like I wrote above, I suspect the other side won't give you any light leaks. But just to be sure, I'll be covering mine with tape anyway.

05-18-2015, 05:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It might not matter that the covers are missing. I played with a flash light and didn't find any light leaks that obviously reach the film.

If I only had one cover I would put it in the left hole, though.

If you have the winder check it carefully. Winder LX has spots for the covers.
05-18-2015, 06:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, I don't have a winder -- or a motor. Looking for one, though, hopefully for less than what the eBay sellers are asking for theirs.

I think it will matter a lot if the left cover is missing because it exposes the film compartment at the base of the film roll. I wouldn't be confident that the roll will seal up tight enough to prevent unwanted light entering there.
05-18-2015, 08:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
No, I don't have a winder -- or a motor. Looking for one, though, hopefully for less than what the eBay sellers are asking for theirs.
My LX came with the winder. I'm dubious of the motors as the battery packs they require are either awkward or contain expired Ni-Cad cells and film is tres costly.

Pentax LX 35mm SLR Film Camera Winder | eBay

No relation to the seller.
05-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link. Actually that's the cheapest one I've seen on eBay so far. I missed out on one that got sold here at the forums for $60 -- I was like a day or two late. It would be nice to find another deal like that. A member of another forum (forum.mflenses.com) told me that he knows of one in a second-hand store local to him. I'm waiting to hear back from him, hopefully with good news.

I have to exist on a fixed income. If I bought that winder on eBay, it would clean me out til my next payday, which is over two weeks away. The only way I can raise extra money these days is to sell stuff on eBay. Actually, I have quite a bit of photo gear that I need to list on eBay, but almost all of it is old stuff and it moves slooooowly.
05-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #12

Check with Eric Hendrickson, he may have them and might sell it to you. Contact information can be found on his website:

Home
05-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Thanks for the link. Actually that's the cheapest one I've seen on eBay so far. I missed out on one that got sold here at the forums for $60 -- I was like a day or two late. It would be nice to find another deal like that.
Make sure to look in KEH.com first . . . specifically Pentax LX winder now. . .
05-18-2015, 09:28 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately all my eBay resources for little plastic bits are no longer on eBay - even some of the long-term lens dealers have given up. I was absolutely certain I could have pointed you to a resource - alas . . . .
05-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry about your troubles with your "new" LX. I hope you can sort them out, it is a marvelous camera.

Probably your LX lacks the covers is that a prior owner had a winder and didn't replace them on the camera when he sold it. The winder didn't come with the covers, since the camera did. I had the sudden thought that perhaps the cover for the winder port on the ME or ME Super was the same size, but no, its larger than that for the LX.

One idea comes to mind. A black rubber stopper might be threaded into the hole, then trimmed to protrude minimally from the base plate, and on the inside to avoid fouling the cassette. Perhaps gaffer tape or such ON THE INSIDE. Much neater.

Somewhere, someone with too much time on his/her hands has probably developed a data base of such little bits and pieces interchangeable across models and makes of cameras.....