Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2015, 12:34 AM   #1

"Mirror lock sindrome" also in MZ-S ??

As far as I know all (plastic) MZ/XL bodies suffer from this sindrome, i.e., plastic gears in the mirror motot that will break apart soon or later. These components might be replaced by the brass equivalent ones that are not prone to failure - (though I would not know where to source them). I have also read that the MZ-6 had these metal gears installed in its latest production run.

Anyhow, my question: How about the top-of-the-line MZ-S? Does it come with plastic or metal gears? All of them?

Cheers

05-19-2015, 07:56 AM   #2

I deleted the link I had to the post but there is one that refers to the website for the company in Germany where you can get the gears along with the part or stock number.

As whether or not the MZ-S uses the plastic gear I can't answer you question. US Camera was selling the replacement motor with brass gear but their website says "no longer available" so the stocks are probably exhausted.
05-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The MZ-S bears little resemblance to the other MZ/ZX models, and was designed as a semi-pro body
so I suspect it does not include the lines Achilles Heel plastic gear.
That's just a hunch of course; I have no data/evidence to support this.

A good question for Eric Hendrickson perhaps?

Chris