Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2015, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #16
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those infrequent moments when I feel nostalgia for my teenaged years I keep a CLA'ed SV and Spotmatic on a shelf.

05-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow, I know this is just photoshopped, but holy heck I would buy that camera were it a real product.
05-30-2015, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Nice Photoshop job by someone....
I have a copy of this somewhere. It was done by a forum member and posted here several years ago. In fact, I used it as the basis for a faux promotional magazine ad!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-30-2015 at 02:09 PM.
05-31-2015, 03:08 AM   #19

Original Poster
The nearest that we can have that resembles that is the beautiful fujifilm x series. Have been hoping to have one..

It'll feel gold!!

05-31-2015, 06:27 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

To be honest, I MUCH prefer the ergonomics on my pre-AF film cameras to any digitals i've used.

Mainly the speed and aperture knobs/rings. It just makes changing speed/aperture so much simpler and faster.
Much better than having to press this button then twiddle this tiny wheel to change the speed, then press another button and do it again for aperture.

Still, much better than Canon which seems to be "press button, wait a moment, do a handstand, cure aids, turn this knob, consult the manual, and finally you've changed the aperture"
05-31-2015, 07:02 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Pentax will never make this camera. Witness the limited appeal of the pricey
Nikon Df, which sells in very small numbers compared to other Nikon models.

You can wait for your pie-in-the-sky concept, but don't hold your breath.
My suggestion is to keep using your real Spotmatic and 35mm film...

Chris
05-31-2015, 11:28 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Witness the limited appeal of the pricey
Nikon Df, which sells in very small numbers compared to other Nikon models.
It might be noted that there are members on this site who were early purchasers of the Df and have remained enthusiastic users. I believe the main criticisms of the Df have been that Nikon did not go far enough in simplification and that the price is too high.

As for Ricoh/Pentax developing such a camera, I agree that it is unlikely. OTOH, a similar crowd-sourced solution might not be a bad idea. We will have to see how Konost does with their rangefinder project.

http://konost.com/

Steve
05-31-2015, 01:40 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Doesn't the existence of Leica prove the market for this type of product? Aren't all of their 35mm cameras essentially all-manual, digital updates of their classic, all-manual film cameras?

06-01-2015, 03:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Doesn't the existence of Leica prove the market for this type of product? Aren't all of their 35mm cameras essentially all-manual, digital updates of their classic, all-manual film cameras?
Leica proves the market for Leica.

Leica could put their logo on a lump of warm excrement and it would still have a market,

In saying that, I do very much like Leica gear, and would happily own any of their cameras, but my budget doesnt stretch that far, so for now I stick with my Russian fakes :P
06-01-2015, 03:41 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
In saying that, I do very much like Leica gear, and would happily own any of their cameras, but my budget doesnt stretch that far, so for now I stick with my Russian fakes :P
From this line I understand you would be in the market for a - much more affordable then Leica - Spotmatic D then?
06-01-2015, 04:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
From this line I understand you would be in the market for a - much more affordable then Leica - Spotmatic D then?
If I wasnt saving for a house i'd be there in a heartbeat.
06-01-2015, 04:39 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
We will have to see how Konost does with their rangefinder project.
Part of their blurb states
QuoteQuote:
The Konost Camera was designed to give the ultimate photographic experience
but like most of the stuff written about 'retro' cameras the don't explain how using a manual camera is any different from using a DSLR in manual mode.
06-01-2015, 05:00 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Part of their blurb states but like most of the stuff written about 'retro' cameras the don't explain how using a manual camera is any different from using a DSLR in manual mode.

Hardwired controls instead of menus.

If Pentax made a DSLR with hard controls instead of buttons and menus i'd marry the CEO.
06-01-2015, 05:10 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Hardwired controls instead of menus.

If Pentax made a DSLR with hard controls instead of buttons and menus i'd marry the CEO.
As hardwired controls perform exactly the same function as the wheels on my K5 I fail to see the relevance.
I have a number of film cameras varying from a completely manual Praktica to an Yashica 230AF and none of them give me anything near 'the ultimate photographic experience.
06-01-2015, 06:23 AM   #30
Site Supporter

Sure make a digital version of an all metal film body in plastic that sounds like a good idea. Maybe reintroduce screw mount lenses to go with this new Spotmatic D, of course with no aperture ring and a plastic body & M42 mount. Then you can use s/w to make your digital images look like Kodachorme slide film.

Sign me up for one when it comes out!

Phil.