Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
05-20-2015, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #1

Spotmatic D Concept - Somebody fund this please

New day and have been looking for whatever secrets lying around the net about the spot i may uncover. Stumbled upon thisss

Asahi Pentax Spotmatic D Concept

Please make it happen. Someday atleast..

05-20-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
cool. I'll have one. It looks so much like my old spotmaric F. However I don't miss cameras without a grip.
05-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anselmopn Quote
New day and have been looking for whatever secrets lying around the net about the spot i may uncover. Stumbled upon thisss

Asahi Pentax Spotmatic D Concept

Please make it happen. Someday atleast..
Nice Photoshop job by someone....
05-20-2015, 07:48 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I want one for my Ricoh XR-P. It should be pretty simple as it has a removable back. Ha Ha

05-20-2015, 10:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am afraid it would be a bit thicker than that.
05-20-2015, 10:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This is a quite few years old... but even then when I looked into was nice photoshop job!
05-21-2015, 12:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Oh, it's so beautiful!

It doesn't have to be thicker though, as someone implied. Without the mirror it can even be made smaller then the original spotmatic.

05-21-2015, 12:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would be so cool...
05-21-2015, 01:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Nice Photoshop job by someone....
Indeed.

Anyway I noticed the last digital cameras are starting to look quite retro', sharp edges and square shapes are becoming trendy again.
05-21-2015, 01:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Oh, it's so beautiful!

It doesn't have to be thicker though, as someone implied. Without the mirror it can even be made smaller then the original spotmatic.
Not to mention a new set of M42 lenses that have shorter registration distances than the originals.
05-21-2015, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

And what would the point of it be?
A camera is a tool to take pictures IMO. How it looks is largely irrelevant, although the ergonomics are important. I'd personally miss having a decent hand grip to wrap my fingers around.
05-21-2015, 06:05 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigyinn Quote
And what would the point of it be?
A camera is a tool to take pictures IMO. How it looks is largely irrelevant, although the ergonomics are important. I'd personally miss having a decent hand grip to wrap my fingers around.

I agree with you except that I think it would sell to all those old photographers like me who started with a Spotmatic. Whether or not that would make Ricoh any money or not is another matter...

05-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
I agree with you except that I think it would sell to all those old photographers like me who started with a Spotmatic. Whether or not that would make Ricoh any money or not is another matter...

If they sold it for $7000 like a Leica they might
05-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In order to accommodate the sensor, the focal plane would have to be moved forward several millimetres, even without Shake Reduction hardware and a rear LCD; more if they were to be included. That means either the lens mount flange would also have to be moved forward the same amount, or a new set of lenses produced, with shorter registration distances. The alternative would be to sell M42 spacers, complete with aperture levers and pins, so the old lenses could be used as intended, up to the last of the M42s that were designed for the Spotmatic F and the ES/II bodies.

More likely, it could be the basis for a K-02, with a K-mount and an EVF, but with the same requirement options for the lens mount as for the M42 concept, plus the electronics to go with the latest KAF features.
05-26-2015, 06:21 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started on an SV and moved up to a Spotmatic, and i wouldn't even ask for it to be taken out of the case so I could touch it. I'll just pick up my ME when I get all nostalgic.OK, maybe I'd hold is for a second, and I like the shutter and ISO dials more than I like the digital solution, but I doubt very much I'd be even remotely interested in buying one.