Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

LX, issue on AUTO speed too fast in low light condition

I just won the bidding LX on ebay and feel lose when the camera arrived.

It seem good on manual mode when I tested, everything work fine until I tested shoot long period exposure in Auto mode and found that the shutter went fast (around 1/60 in my ear) no way to shoot long period exposure. (len cap is on then testing on Automatic mode)

Unfortunately, no problem on manual setting, test all speed from 1/2000 - B it's works. (batteries is ok)

I have searched for the same problem like mine but see nobody mention about, so dicide to post new thread here.

Please advise, is it the malfunction camera or I misunderstood something?

Thank in advance.

05-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It could be a fault in the light meter itself, but just in case I would also get the camera professionally checked (CLA'd).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It could be a fault in the light meter itself, but just in case I would also get the camera professionally checked (CLA'd).
Thank you, Adam. Light meter works fine LED shows up and move up and down depend on light condition. The problem is only on auto and speed under 1/60 it's not lower this speed even close the lens cap. Just sent mail to Eric ask for repair cost.
05-21-2015, 04:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest to test the camera with film because without it the auto mode times don't match the manually selected ones.

05-21-2015, 05:58 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I would suggest to test the camera with film because without it the auto mode times don't match the manually selected ones.
Cuthbert, thank you. I have tested 2 rolls before open this thread.
I wonder the light meter work well,
all speed including slow speed and B on manual mode work well,
high speed on auto mode work well,
but slow speed on auto mode always shoot at 1/60 and never change speed lower than 1/60.
05-21-2015, 06:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So the pics taken in auto mode with little light are all underexposed? It sounds more a shutter problem than a lightmeter problem... do the yellow leds turn on with low Evs?
05-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
So the pics taken in auto mode with little light are all underexposed? It sounds more a shutter problem than a lightmeter problem... do the yellow leds turn on with low Evs?
Yes, Cuthbert. All underexposed. I think there's a shutter control board issue. No problem on the leds, lightmeter, or shutter mechanical (low speed on manual work fine). It may loosen connecting or in worst case the control board was rotten.
05-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Eric replied me today, He said "If there is an electronic problem I may not be able to fix it.".

It seem that I have to live with the handicapped camera forever. :- (

05-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by unclepiak Quote
Eric replied me today, He said "If there is an electronic problem I may not be able to fix it.".

It seem that I have to live with the handicapped camera forever. :- (
He likely means if an electronics circuit board has to be replaced there are no replacement parts available. That is not to say that although the problem seems electronics in nature, it doesn't mean an electronic circuit board has to be replaced in order to fix it.

Did he say to send it to him for hands-on evaluation?
05-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, LesDMess. Eric need to look at the camera before make final diagnose and give me an estimate repair cost. But, I'm in Thailand the shipping expense to him and back to me are expensive. If the electronic board damage I'll lost a lot.

I'm contacting to the seller to find the solution, maybe have to return the camera to him in UK for refund and yield to lose on money for income tax that I have paid.
05-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No doubt you have to consider the risk and cost.

The issue you have is really odd. Since lower than sync speeds are timed and fired electronically, I wouldn't think a major PCB is at fault. Of course that is just a best guess on my part.

Good luck!
05-22-2015, 10:10 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you very much, LesDMess. I'll back to report when found the solution.