Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2015, 09:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The optics for the aperture display in the KX viewfinder can get knocked out of alignment. I have four of them and only two display the aperture.

06-01-2015, 06:02 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Usually black symbol on white background.
(Not that I ever lost sleep over it, but) I could never figure out why the aperture display appears as a negative (i.e., it shows the white aperture numerals on a black aperture ring as dark numerals on a light background).
06-01-2015, 06:16 AM   #18
Forum Member

the numbers look black on a white background because of the angle of the light bouncing off the ring into the window.
hold the camera directly under a light and the numbers are white.
06-01-2015, 06:22 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlH Quote
the numbers look black on a white background because of the angle of the light bouncing off the ring into the window.
hold the camera directly under a light and the numbers are white.
Thanks, Carl. I guess now I now can not "not lose sleep over it" anymore - LOL. (Actually, I did notice that before. )

I know the LX uses this "rabbit hole" window to show the aperture (I was using an LX just yesterday), but I was just wondering if the LX is the last Pentax body to do so...

Last edited by fwcetus; 06-01-2015 at 06:31 AM.
06-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW Nikon called their near-identical system "Aperture Direct Readout", a name I much prefer to biblical or other literary references.

Chris
06-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Thanks, Carl. I guess now I now can not "not lose sleep over it" anymore - LOL. (Actually, I did notice that before. )

I know the LX uses this "rabbit hole" window to show the aperture (I was using an LX just yesterday), but I was just wondering if the LX is the last Pentax body to do so...
The appearance of the aperture depends on lighting conditions and the lenses used. With lenses with engraved (rather than 'printed') aperture markings, it depends on the angle of light hitting the engravings. With printed aperture rings, you always get 'positive' images but sometimes if the angle is wrong you get nothing at all.

The LX was the last body for sale with the direct readout.

John.
06-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #22
Site Supporter

That Little "Aperture Aperture"

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
The appearance of the aperture depends on lighting conditions and the lenses used. With lenses with engraved (rather than 'printed') aperture markings, it depends on the angle of light hitting the engravings. With printed aperture rings, you always get 'positive' images but sometimes if the angle is wrong you get nothing at all.

The LX was the last body for sale with the direct readout.
Good points, John -- I just tested your comments, and you're quite correct (but you knew that already, eh?).

As for the end of the "little aperture reflection window", I suppose it was all due to the changeover to a combination of exposure automation and digital readouts in cam bodies. In Pentax, specifically, following the various ES models and the K2 models, the M bodies (with the exception of the all-manual MX, of course) emphasized aperture priority exposures, although some (e.g., ME Super, ME F) did also allow manual settings. [And, I tend to suspect that aperture priority made frequent "peeking" at the aperture from the viewfinder less and less important, perhaps paradoxically.] Then, with the A bodies, shutter priority and program modes were added, and exposure settings were displayed in digital readouts. So, I guess the LX was the last run for that little "aperture aperture". However, thanks to some of us classic Pentax aficionados, the "peek at the aperture peephole" does live on in our continued, or renewed, use of the KX, MX, and LX bodies. But I digress...

06-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Mine look like this:
Pentax KX_Viewfinder by titrisol,

The judas windows is weird but it works fine
06-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #24
Forum Member

just curious as to how you take a picture of the viewfinder?
06-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
FWIW Nikon called their near-identical system "Aperture Direct Readout", a name I much prefer to biblical or other literary references.

Chris
Me too. The term "Judas Window" comes to us from architecture, meaning any small window or peephole designed to allow surreptitious viewing. How that designation relates to the Biblical character (if at all) is a mystery.

I remember one user on this site who objected to the term because they thought it racist

Steve
06-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #26
Site Supporter

I'm gonna call it, simply, the "Aperture Aperture" from now on.

(My only film body left that still has one is my LX,)
06-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
Fixed

Just a little Judas Window update, I now see the Window in the Viewfinder. The "Chimney" on the front the Prism, was in fact bent in to far.Once coaxed out to a more or less Vertical position , the light shone through.
06-07-2015, 02:35 AM   #28

My aperture reader on the KX is also offset. With or without a lens mounted it is dead black. Maybe there's a very thin line of light at the bottom of the aperture reader display but it doesn't work anyway. I'm very much in love with the match needle metering.I almost always use the KX by setting the aperture first, then the exposure and sometimes I need to correct the aperture (for example if it's an hand held shot and the corresponding exposure is under 1/60 or 1/30). Then I have to look at the lens again to see the aperture and I loose too much time on the settings. So i'd like to fix this aperture reader problem.

Has someone have photos or infos on how to access the aperture reader system and fix it ? How to remove the top plate of the KX ? etc. Is it any complicated ? If possible i'd like to avoid giving it to a mechanic, everything else works properly and i'd prefer spending my money on lenses ! (Bièvres international photofair today yeahhhh)
06-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Karénine Quote
Has someone have photos or infos on how to access the aperture reader system and fix it ?
Adjustment requires removal of the top cover. That can be easy or hard depending on whether you have the tools and have done it before. Once that is off the parts to adjust are as in the photos above. FWIW, my KX is currently in the shop having the adjustment made.

Steve
06-07-2015, 09:21 AM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
If you don't have dedicated tools , Home made or purchased , I would suggest don't attempt it.

Not difficult, but one wrong turn can cause heartache. I only started Fiddling with Cameras fairly recently , but I had little money invested and no emotional attachment to them. So, If I messed up, No worries.

Send it out to Eric and be sure of success.