Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Same B+W film, different shade?

I need some advice from Black and White film developers out here. I normally use a specific lab which develops my Black and White films, but in my last roll, I was forced to try another lab.

I mainly use Neopan Acros 100. but in the last roll of Acros 100 which I had developed in this new lab, I noticed that the developed film has a different shade from the previous films of Acros 100 I had developed in my regular lab. While the developed Acros 100 films that come out from my regular lab have uniformly had a shade of grey or grey-blue, the film developed in this other lab has a shade of blue or blue-violet.

Can anyone advice me on why the change in film shades and what effect this would have on the photos in black and white?

I am attaching to samples, one for each lab. The first one, with a violetish hue is from the new lab. The second one is from my regular lab which shows a greyish hue. Both are Acros 100 black and white negatives.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

In the many past years of shooting I never saw anything but the greyish hue.
05-27-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could be the first and new lab's chemicals were exhausted. Or they processed your b/w film in color chemicals. I had one role come back years ago, it was color though, but the attendant, made a mistake and my film came back all striped with different colors, she processed the roll in exhausted chems.
05-27-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Do you know what developer each lab uses? For example one uses D-76 (Kodak) and the other uses ID-11 (Ilford)
That's what I'm thinking may be the reason why they both look different.

05-27-2015, 08:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Exhausted fixer IMO
05-27-2015, 10:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Do you know what developer each lab uses? For example one uses D-76 (Kodak) and the other uses ID-11 (Ilford)
That's what I'm thinking may be the reason why they both look different.
Don't know what developers both labs use. And since they don't want to tell, I thought of asking you guys if anyone has had a similar experience
05-28-2015, 12:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Even within the labs there can be a difference.
Different developers will give different hues to the negatives. Different batches of the same developer can give different hues to the negatives. Different batches of the film can result in different hues.
Also if the developer is a bit exhaustes, it can give a different hue. Same goes for the fixer.

But I do have to say this is a very extreme difference. Normally you see these hues on b&w film that you develop with C41 process. So it could be that they just used to wrong developer.

05-28-2015, 05:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all your inputs. After reading more about this issue from different forums, I now believe that it's more a result of insufficient washing at the end of processing the negatives. There was a blank part of the negative strip which I experimented on, washing the negative strip several times using tap water, and true enough, the "purple" tinge slowly dissipated. Looks like the new lab I used tried to cut corners in the process and time...

Anyway, I scanned the negative and it seems that the photos did not suffer from the lack of final washing. Here are some scanned shots from the "purple" Acros 100 negative:

05-28-2015, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For full creative control why not soup your own? It's easy - and fun!

Chris
05-30-2015, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The color is due to residual anti-halation dye in the emulsion. Depending on factors such as water hardness and pH, it can be difficult to remove. I frequently have the same problem with Acros 100, but have had some success by:
  • 30 second water presoak and complete drain prior to adding developer
  • Be sure to have adequate fixing
  • Wash for the normal time, dip the negs in photoflo (made with distilled water) for 30 seconds and rewash
  • Finish with photoflo before drying
The photoflow seems to release the dye.

Steve
02-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #11

hey vince, where do you send your black and white films?
02-10-2016, 05:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Used to send it to Wells. But ever since this stupid MRT became unusable, I now send it to Columbia in Cubao. Their developing is acceptable considering their price
02-11-2016, 12:02 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Found this site a couple days ago, not sure if anybody knows about it

Photo Labs and Darkrooms ? I shoot film.
02-11-2016, 12:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Exhausted fixer IMO
That and/or inadequate washing.
The Kodak Tmax and Tx post 2010 have a pink dye which only disappears after 100% fixing and 100% washing.
If it is marginal you will be ok otherwise you may not have archival negs.

Did not realise Fuji used same sentisation dye.

The Kodak data sheet says

'
Your fixer will be exhausted more rapidly with these films than with other films. If your negatives show a magenta (pink) stain after fixing, your fixer may be near exhaustion, or you may not have used a long enough time. If the stain is slight, it will not affect image stability, negative contrast, or printing times. You can remove a slight pink stain with KODAK Hypo Clearing Agent. However, if the stain is pronounced and irregular over the film surface, refix the film in fresh fixer.
Wash for 20 to 30 minutes in running water at 65 to 75°F (18 to 24°C) with a flow rate that provides at least one complete change of water in 5 minutes. You can wash long rolls on the processing reel. To save time and conserve water, use KODAK Hypo Clearing Agent.
'

It is easy to process mono changing bag, crown cap bottle opener like Swiss Army knife, plastic developing tank, rubber gloves,...

But do fix for long enough and do use Kodak HCA.

ILFORD PHOTO - Processing a Black & White film

I always fix in daylight after three minutes in fix for double the clear time and agitate like fury...
02-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #15

Thank you very much vince.