Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2015, 03:24 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The most beautiful Pentax ever made

I have been a Pentax user and admirer for over 50 years. My first Pentax was an S1 model with an f/2.2 manually-cocked lens. Since then I have collected Spotmatics, K1000s, K100D, and my current Kx along with assorted Pentax and other lenses. I recently purchased an Asahiflex IIa which was produced between 1953-4 in excellent cosmetic and working condition - see photos. Since I bought it I can hardly keep my eyes and hands off it. With its squat, flat, and wide design it is an outstanding piece of engineering with its two viewfinders and first of its kind instant-return mirror. It is in my humble opinion the MOST BEAUTIFUL Pentax ever made. What other Pentax, or any other make, compares? What say ye, learned Pentaxians?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
05-28-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The problem sir, is that it's not a pentax really. Its an asahi. The pentax brand hand by been introduced yet.
05-28-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I think we all have our "special" favourites, for me it still has to be the LX.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/29-welcomes-introductions/269...finland-lx.jpg
05-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
The problem sir, is that it's not a pentax really. Its an asahi. The pentax brand hand by been introduced yet.
My humble apologies. I think its the MOST BEAUTIFUL Asahi camera ever made

05-28-2015, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
Silly, that is like saying that the Null Serie camera built by Leitz was not a Leica.

You consider it to be whatever you would like it to be, to me and others it is one of the most gorgeous Pentax cameras.

Of course the SV is a very close second.
05-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It is a very attractive camera. All the more so if it works
05-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Asahi or Pentax the early metal beauties are like jewels, the amazing LX with full action finder and motor drive sublime but my favourite is the late model 67II. Amazing smooth lines, fantastic bulk and superb workmanship.......... reminds me of the Asashiflex

05-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I think we all have our "special" favourites, for me it still has to be the LX.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/29-welcomes-introductions/269...finland-lx.jpg
Hi Kerrowdown. I agree that the LX is a nice looking camera, as are all Pentaxes, but it is very similar to so many other cameras. BTW I noticed in an earlier thread that you have female names for all your photo equipment. Do you have a name for the Asahiflex? Please be nice!
05-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me the most beautiful is the LX, or the K3 and I'm leaning slightly towards the K3...
05-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an Asahiflex, not in as good condition, but it works great thanks to Eric. It is nicely styled, but I think the SV is the prettiest, maybe because my first good 35mm was an H1a in 1965. I also have the LX, MX, Spotmatics, etc. - but my vote stays with the SV.
05-28-2015, 05:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always thought the dual finders on some early SLRs was a terrific idea.
Of course things get complicated when you start changing focal lengths...

Chris
05-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beauty, as they say (often, but true) is in the eye of the beholder. This looks like a machine for taking pictures, which, of course it is, and is therefore attractive to my eye.
05-28-2015, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #13
RDP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My vote goes to the specific ME Super owned by my grandfather, as that was the camera and photographer that got me started with this hobby. It now sits proudly on my top desk shelf, alongside one of my favorite photos he took, after I inherited it last year.

-Robin
05-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
It is a very attractive camera. All the more so if it works

My Asahiflex is in perfect working order. It was bought on eBay fro $245 which I consider a bargain. Most Asahiflexes on eBay cost about this price but seem to be in inferior condition. Most, like mine were on sale from Japan so I assume the camera was never on sale in the US. I love the satisfying mechanical clunk when I hit the shutter button. The newer plasticky cameras don't excite me as much as the olde metal ones. All hail to the early Pentaxes. They are truly classics.
05-28-2015, 06:40 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That sure is a looker and it would be hard to argue that it's not!

It came at an opportune time as 1954 was the year Leica released their M3 and Canon saw the proverbial writing on the wall -> What the "Leica M3" had Brought
QuoteQuote:
Since it was difficult to imitate the "Leica M3" introduced in 1954 in terms of its bright viewfinder and accurate rangefinder, many camera manufacturer, including Canon, were forced to shift their development goals to the camera that would lead the world's market in the future. What Japanese camera manufacturer, including Canon, decided was to concentrate on the single lens reflex (SLR) camera with system capabilities, which could be developed using Japan's own technology. This SLR camera was to become the new camera, which would be accepted by the world, capable of overcoming the previous limitations of the rangefinder cameras including the use of telephoto lenses.
Pentax was in a good position having started in SLRs directly.

Last edited by LesDMess; 05-28-2015 at 06:47 PM.