Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2015, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
Don't know if anyone will see this, but I also picked up a ZX-L body with the FA 28-90 lens, in addition to the ZX-5N. It was even cheaper than the 5N (it was $29 plus shipping) - "untested, dusty/dirty" but actually just the holster case was dirty, the camera and lens are very clean and everything functions. Haven't done a test roll yet. It has a few more features than the 5N (like P-TTL and 1/4000 sec shutter) and a pentamirror instead of a pentaprism, but does not have the shutter speed dial. Otherwise it seems similar. So I can see which interface I like better in different situations.
I have both the MZ-L (ZX-L) and the ZX-5n. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. The 5n has a better finder, but is sparse on extra features, which is generally nice. The MZ-L works much better with DA and FAJ lenses.

08-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I have both the MZ-L (ZX-L) and the ZX-5n. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. The 5n has a better finder, but is sparse on extra features, which is generally nice. The MZ-L works much better with DA and FAJ lenses.
Very nice family portrait, thanks. My opinion of the two is the same as yours so far. I thought I would greatly prefer the ZX-5N more conventional controls, but now that I'm using the ZX-L I find it very easy to use, and it can also do both Av and Tv modes for the lenses without aperture rings like the DA 50/1.8 that I got with my K-50. Neat. Changing metering modes (matrix/center/spot) is simpler with the ZX-5N though with the dedicated switch, on the other hand I find the switch for AF multi vs. spot on the back of the ZX-L much easier to use than the switch for that function next to the lens on the 5N. Overall, I'm happy with my decision to go with these AF bodies rather than the MZ-M or one of the earlier manual focus lines line the Superprogram or ME super. These are small, very light, and can use my older manual focus Takumars as well as AF lenses, and actually meter accurately with the older lenses which my K-50 does not.
08-02-2015, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't know if anyone will see this, but I also picked up a ZX-L body with the FA 28-90 lens, in addition to the ZX-5N. It was even cheaper than the 5N (it was $29 plus shipping) - "untested, dusty/dirty" but actually just the holster case was dirty, the camera and lens are very clean and everything functions. Haven't done a test roll yet. It has a few more features than the 5N (like P-TTL and 1/4000 sec shutter) and a pentamirror instead of a pentaprism, but does not have the shutter speed dial. Otherwise it seems similar. So I can see which interface I like better in different situations.
It's just the beginning... Soon you'll be looking for a few more bodies.

the nice thing about older bodies is you can typically sell them for abou the same amount you bought them. This allows you to test a bunch of different ones and keep just the ones you like.
08-02-2015, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #34

Any of the ZX/MZ series with single digit numbers are good for what you want. I have seen a few SF/SFX single digit cameras popping up on ebay and craigslist, but double-check them for functions and weight.

08-02-2015, 09:09 PM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here is my ZX-L. I mostly bid on it because I wanted the FA 28-90 lens, I know it didn't get high ratings on the forum but I liked the silver color and the fact that it was so light, I thought it would go well with the ZX-5N. Goodwill listed this ZX-L as dirty and untested, but actually it was very clean and everything seems to function, so I got a bonus camera along with the lens.
08-02-2015, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is my ZX-L. I mostly bid on it because I wanted the FA 28-90 lens, I know it didn't get high ratings on the forum but I liked the silver color and the fact that it was so light, I thought it would go well with the ZX-5N. Goodwill listed this ZX-L as dirty and untested, but actually it was very clean and everything seems to function, so I got a bonus camera along with the lens.
It looks great, and certainly isn't a bad camera. I have a similar silver lens that came with my *ist, the FA 28-80 and it looks great with the matching color. Plus yours came with a nice strap. I've purchased a few ZX cameras just for the strap to use on my older, manual-focus film cameras, then I throw/give away the camera.
08-25-2015, 05:52 PM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here is a shot from my first roll with the ZX-L, taken with the SMC Pentax-FA 28-90 (silver version) that came with the camera from the Goodwill. Overall I had more in-focus shots with the ZX-5N, not sure why. Some of the ZX-L shots were made with my 50mm M42 macro lens, probably it was operator error in focusing or camera shake (I think I've been spoiled by image stabilization). However, I was surprised that the ZX-L's shutter speed control (the toggle lever) was actually quite easy to use, I thought I would miss having that dedicated shutter speed dial. Also tried flash with the AF360FGZ and the built-in flash, tried the DA 50/1.8 lens, everything worked well, no vignetting on the digital lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 

Last edited by OldChE; 08-25-2015 at 06:00 PM.
08-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #38
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here is another shot from the ZX-L with the kit zoom 28-90:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
09-11-2015, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

I wonder if the name difference is that in the States it would be a m zee which sounds like a toy compared to m zed?

The MZ5n and any of the models that allows aperture control by the camera make a good pair.
09-15-2015, 05:02 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

Reading all this brings one important question to mind:

"What is the last uncrippled K mount film body that Pentax made, which will fully control a DA lens?"