Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2015, 04:12 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
An old enlarger base as the camera support and a light box as the light source is one way quick and easy way of doing it.
...and many enlarger manufacturers actually offered an optional attachment to allow use of the rail as a copy stand.

Steve

06-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by vrolok Quote
Find below a picture of my set-up.
Great idea, I will give it a try.
I have some 6x4.5 film to scan.
Thanks
06-13-2015, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Below is a photo of my setup. I use it for B&W 35mm only. I've never been able to get even close to the right colours using colour negative film so I use an Epson V500 for that. DSLR scanning seems to leave pictures looking rather flat and lifeless, so I'm considering going back to the Epson for those too, though they won't be nearly as sharp.

12-02-2015, 12:13 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
About time I posted an update here! Here's a photo of what I've gotten up to. Made a light box, slide holder, little plywood platform to hold the slide holder straight. It works pretty good for V1, maybe during the winter I'll make V2 as a little wood working project.

12-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I've been meaning to get back around to this (this looks like my first setup except with more substantial materials - I used far more cardboard ) but I've been too lazy and since I picked up another working Pakon F135 it hasn't been high on my list.

---------- Post added 12-02-15 at 11:37 AM ----------

btw - I picked up an FA50/2.8 Macro (has 1:1) - they're not terribly expensive and it worked extremely well for this application.
12-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Wow, plywood, that's advanced. Mine is cardboard. I too need to work on a mark II model.
12-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
About time I posted an update here! Here's a photo of what I've gotten up to. Made a light box, slide holder, little plywood platform to hold the slide holder straight. It works pretty good for V1, maybe during the winter I'll make V2 as a little wood working project.
What is your light source/diffuser there?

12-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
What is your light source/diffuser there?
My question too...

I'll make V2 as a little wood working project.
May I suggest some way to make the filmstrip and camera sensor parallel?

Steve
12-02-2015, 06:08 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My question too...

May I suggest some way to make the filmstrip and camera sensor parallel?

Steve
The light source is a house hold 100 watt equivalent CFL bulb, I also have a 100 watt incandescent I might try for scanning colour film. I use 2 layers of diffusion material I bought of B&H. Originally I had made a smaller box but it heated up quite a bit with an incandescent inside. I had also tried a flash bulb, but it seemed wasteful and it's a lot easier to focus with a continuous light source. (Edit, this is the diffuser material I used http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/185687-REG/Lowel_IP_72_IP_l_Frost_Gels.html )

I would love suggestions! FWIW, this was only going to be temporary, but I can't seem to really notice distortions in my scans so I have put off dealing with the problem. I know it's not perfect, but I've really enjoyed the results out of it so far.

I've considered mounting some kind of quick mount plate to a track on the plywood for quick adjustment and repeatable results. I also have a friend with a CNC laser cutter, v3 (?) might get cut out of MDF with alignment holes etc if I get fancy.
12-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I had also tried a flash bulb
I was thinking a full-spectrum LED for focus* and an electronic flash for the actual exposure might be slick.

Steve

* I am not sure about the LED for the exposure.