Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #1

Received Pentax ME Super

Alright, so I just received my Pentax ME Super in the mail today. First look over it seems to be superficially fine. I have read through the pdf of the manual and am acquainted with the setup to an extent, but I'm wondering about basic care as far as cleaning and what products to use as well what to look for to check this over as thoroughly as possible. *This is my first slr camera, so I'm just wanting to make sure I have it fully functioning and that I won't screw anything up! Thanks!

06-04-2015, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some ME Supers develop winder problems. If yours winds without trouble, you're in good shape.

Keep the outside clean with a damp paper towel. Inside, use a blower to get dust off the mirror.

Treat it nice and you will have a good camera for a long time.
06-04-2015, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #3

I have 3 ME Supers and the 2 that I use have been excellent. The camera came out around the time of the AE-1 program, which is pretty much a go-to film camera these days since it was such a popular camera and its rival. For comparison, the ME Super is smaller and lighter, which is great for pockets (hoodies and coats, but probably not shorts and jeans), it has a wider automatic shutter speed range (1/2000 and 8 seconds vs the Canon's 1/1000 and 2 seconds), it is built like a brick shithouse. The aperture prioty auto mode is way easier to use than the AE-1's shutter priority, but that may be opinion. It doesn't have a stop-down, exposure preview switch though, and the AE-1 has a way better viewfinder. BUT, from my experience, old Pentax film lenses have much better build quality and are much cheaper than Canon's of the same time.

2 cents.

I have had some problems though. One of the ME Supers takes picture's with an out of focus windshield wiper thing at the bottom of the shots. Could be a fluke, but who knows. I've only ever owned 3 ME Supers and 1 one AE-1 Program, so I dont know much about the build of film cameras, sadly.
06-06-2015, 10:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Some ME Supers develop winder problems. If yours winds without trouble, you're in good shape.

Keep the outside clean with a damp paper towel. Inside, use a blower to get dust off the mirror.

Treat it nice and you will have a good camera for a long time.
The plastic grip is starting to come off around the edges and I was looking into a link provided on someone else's thread (CameraLeather.com Custom camera leather and leatherette) but it doesn't seem to work. Would you, or anyone reading this for that matter, know of a source or some form or fashion that I could restore/replace this?

06-07-2015, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used CameraLeather.com. The web site is somewhat broken. I get the impression its one guy and he doesn't do his own web programming.

Another option is to use glue. I like Tacky Glue brand craft glue, but you could use contact cement if you are careful.
06-07-2015, 02:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The winder issue is the only one you really need to look for. That said, I had a P30 that did the same thing that I managed to coax back to life by slowly and forcefully winding it over and over. The only other thing is a stiff aperture indexing ring, i.e. the lens aperture ring will be difficult to turn towards the wide end. My very well used example has this issue and it's a bit inconvenient but it still works.

I've used contact adhesive to replace and repair leatherette and it's always worked okay for me.

It's a classic and brilliant camera. Along with the AE-1, Chinon CE-5, and whichever Ricoh was aperture priority. As much as I love the older manual cameras, if I had to take one camera out with me to capture a day really well it would be one of those because they are just so reliable and convenient. Enjoy your ME Super and try not to buy too many lenses for it
06-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I have used CameraLeather.com. The web site is somewhat broken. I get the impression its one guy and he doesn't do his own web programming.

Another option is to use glue. I like Tacky Glue brand craft glue, but you could use contact cement if you are careful.
So the guy is reliable? I just wanted to replace it completely. I'm keen on DIY. It doesn't seem so terribly difficult to do it.

---------- Post added 06-09-15 at 03:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
The winder issue is the only one you really need to look for. That said, I had a P30 that did the same thing that I managed to coax back to life by slowly and forcefully winding it over and over. The only other thing is a stiff aperture indexing ring, i.e. the lens aperture ring will be difficult to turn towards the wide end. My very well used example has this issue and it's a bit inconvenient but it still works.

I've used contact adhesive to replace and repair leatherette and it's always worked okay for me.

It's a classic and brilliant camera. Along with the AE-1, Chinon CE-5, and whichever Ricoh was aperture priority. As much as I love the older manual cameras, if I had to take one camera out with me to capture a day really well it would be one of those because they are just so reliable and convenient. Enjoy your ME Super and try not to buy too many lenses for it
It came with a smc Pentax 50m 1:1.7 and a Tokina SZ-X 80-200mm. Most shots I've taken are on a macro scale (small) as well as the scenic side and I've been looking into 17/28/35mm lenses, but I'm wondering if there's something better suited?
06-11-2015, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I ordered, paid with PayPal, and received an envelope several days later. The product is good and the price is right. It has self-stick adhesive with a peel-off layer. All the pieces fit just right and it was visually identical to the original covering on my Mamiyaflex.