Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2015, 08:10 PM   #1

Changing a Focus Screen on an ME Super...HELP

Hey guys,

I was wondering if the focus screen on the ME Super could be easily removed for cleaning / replacement. From my past experience with ME Supers and because of its service manual, I know the the removal of the top cover, which exposes the light prism, is relatively easy with a steady hand and good logging of where the parts go when disassambled. But, when I disassembled one of mine, I never thought that there might be a way an easier way to remove thefocus screen, because that wasn't the issue then.

Basically, I want to remove the focus screen from one of my 3 ME Supers which has a virtually unscathed surfaced, and transplant that to another ME Super which has functionality. The ME Super that has the screen I want, has a broken hot shoe and when I take pictures with it, I get an out of focus windshield wiper looking thing in the bottom picture (any clue what that is?).

Can the focus screen be removed without disassembling the entire camera's top half? I am willing to do this, but that brings me to another question: How much could I mess up the camera by disassembling it? Could I ruin the winder and make it overlap images? Could I make the might meter and exposure compensator dial inaccurate? Like I said before, I have taken an ME Super apart before, but I've never tested it after the fact to see if I messed anything up.

Thank you in advance.

06-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #2

As you say, the top cover is not that hard to remove. The only "gotcha" is the left hand threads on the wind lever nuts. That said, it's a lot of work to remove prism to clean and or replace the screen. In the picture, you will see that the flex circuit must be removed and folded over to one side to reach the prism, also there are several wires coming up from the shutter. Several spots where you can get into trouble if you're not careful.

You might want to concentrate on your other body. For the "windshield wiper" problem, remove the lens and open the shutter on bulb and look for an obstruction, there is some felt inside the mirror box which could have come unglued. As far as the hot shoe goes, you may want to swap top covers with one of your other bodies.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo