Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #1

K1000 Film wind lever broke?

I just put some film in and when I try to advance the film the lever skips. It started counting frames then I noticed it went to 0. I opened it up and there was a bit of film wrapped around the takeup spool but as I tried to advance it seems hard and feels like its skipping. Is it supposed to do this or is there something stripped in there?

Thanks

06-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #2

I'm not sure I understand how you describe the issue but I had similar problem where the film did not advance. I found out that the film on takeup spool was slipping, it came out of the slot in the 'spindle'. I began to make a crease at the beginning of the film and made sure it hook into the takeup spool slot properly. I also tightened the rewind crank so I can see it rotate when I advanced the film.

Hope this helps.
06-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by n61870 Quote
I just put some film in and when I try to advance the film the lever skips. It started counting frames then I noticed it went to 0. I opened it up and there was a bit of film wrapped around the takeup spool but as I tried to advance it seems hard and feels like its skipping. Is it supposed to do this or is there something stripped in there?

Thanks
No, it is not supposed to to that and there may very well be something stripped or poorly adjusted somewhere. However, before we jump to conclusions, how about we make sure that all the parts are there and that the film is properly loaded. It is not obvious, but the take-up spool is not what drives the film transport. That job belongs to the sprocket cogs. In order for those to work, the film must be flat across the gate with the pressure plate in place to insure that the cogs are engaged. So:
  • Is there a working pressure plate attached to the film door?
  • Before closing the back take care to confirm that the film is stretched flat across the gate
  • Also confirm that the sprocket holes are fully engaged top AND bottom (very important that it is both)
  • Also confirm that the rewind release button on underside of the camera has popped out and is no longer pressed in
It is good to note too that there is no rule against doing a full wind onto the take-up spool before closing the back. This will tension the film an pop out the release button. After closing the back, wind on until the film counter goes to "1" and confirm that the rewind crank rotates as the film is wound. That is your sign that all is well.

Steve
06-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you follow what kiberkli and stevebrot suggest and you still have the problem you may have worn transport gears inside the camera. Not so simple to deal with.

06-11-2015, 06:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
Well I decided to open it up and have a look. When I opened it the film was not stretched tight so I couldn't say for sure if it was lined up with the cogs. It seemed like it wound tight on the take up spool. I wound it back into the cassette and verified solid contact/movement between the wind lever and the cogs on the film sprocket spool. All seemed to work fine so I reloaded the film and advanced it like normal through the 36 frames. So I have no clue what happened. Maybe I didn't align it correctly on the sprocket spool and it appeared to work normal for the first few frames? Thanks to all who replied. I will for sure pay more attention when I load in the future. I'm just relieved nothing is broke.