Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
Thanks, Ben...where can I find the Hama adapter?

Glen
Glen, I think your best bet is indeed BH with their Japanese adapter. I know, that Hama is available in the US, but have now idea from which source, sorry. Over here it is as readily available as perhaps Tiffen on your side of the big pond.

Ben

06-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget the Pentax KM

If you like the K1000 I recommend the Pentax KM instead. The K1000 is actually a stripped-down KM.
The KM adds depth-of-field preview and self-timer but is otherwise identical to the K1000.
And unlike the K1000, all KM bodies were made in Japan.
Since it is a less well-known model, the KM often sells for less than the K1000.

Chris
06-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Excellent points, Chris...indeed, the later K1000s were made in China.
06-17-2008, 11:16 PM   #34
Veteran Member

My vote is the K1OOO, I have two of them and love them. I also have an ME SUPER, but do not find it sexy....I do have one of the very early ones and a late one. They look and feel the same to me. One says Ayashi or something and the other just says Pentax. I keep black and white film in one and Color in the other...

06-18-2008, 12:22 AM   #35
Veteran Member

My first SLR was a K1000. It served me well for many years, but I switched to the ME Super for:
-- Split prism + microprism focus screen (K1000 is microprism only)
-- More convenient shutter speed adjustment

Both have been completely reliable and batteries for each last a very long time (much longer than any camera with autofocus or auto film advance). You will have fun with either.
06-18-2008, 06:04 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Troyz (and others): Some have commented that using the ME Super in manual mode is a bit awkward. What do you think?

Thanks,
Glen
06-18-2008, 07:08 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Troyz (and others): Some have commented that using the ME Super in manual mode is a bit awkward. What do you think?

Thanks,
Glen
Yes, this is my biggest issue with the ME super

06-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ME Super is one Pentax I have never owned; I hate tiny buttons.
But FWIW Eric Hendrickson says it is a very good camera.

Chris
06-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I thank you for the comments, Chris. Eric's point of view is worth noting. Indeed, the ME Super's bright, high magnification viewfinder has drawn my attention.

Glen
06-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW I love my Pentax ME (original, not "Super").
Its simplicity appeals to me in a way not unlike the K1000.
BTW it too has a big bright screen...

Chris
06-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I thank you for the comments, Chris. Eric's point of view is worth noting. Indeed, the ME Super's bright, high magnification viewfinder has drawn my attention.

Glen
The whole M-series and the later Super Program etc. all have quite good viewfinders. It was just state of the art at that time, nothing to compare with many of today's DSLRs...

Anyway, if you consider the ME Super, I would personally always go one step further and buy a Super Program. It is very similar to the ME Super in terms of handling, but has better viewfinder information (including illumination of the LCD fields) and, most importantly, flash-TTL control.

The ME Super was en vogue when I was still at school and several of my friends had them. ALL of those needed reapair, because the buttons to change the aperture time lost contact internally - and I really mean each single camera of three or four in my vicinity. On the later Super Program this point of failure seems to have been rectified.

It might well be, that a secondhand ME Super already was repaired or is of a much later production run, so that it isn't affedted, but I would keep this in mind.

Ben
06-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #42
Inactive Account

Agreed. The ME Super's viewfinder is a dream - big and bright. Going from the the K100D's to the Super's is like going from a shower to a spa bath.
06-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I guess I'll chip in my praise of the ME-super viewfinder as well. Simply wonderful to use, especially comparing with the viewfinders in the newer cameras like my K100d (which isn't that bad either). I don't find the smallish manual shutter speed buttons to be a problem for me to use, once you get used to them. There are enough improved things on the Super Program, that I have thought about picking up one of those.....
06-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well I have not got/uesed either ME super or the 1000, but I DO have a ME...

Its great, good size and weight.....
easy to use, can see f stop at top of viewfinder, shutter speed at left of viewfinder...
lenses and bits easy to get (but so is the 1000)

I vote for the ME super (even though I only used a ME)
06-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Thanks,
Glen
I never found using manual mode on the ME Super to be awkward; it's pretty easy for me to locate the increase/decrease shutter speed buttons by touch alone. You really have to handle one in person to see if this is the case for you.

Switching from automatic mode to manual is awkward (you have to push an entirely unnecessary release button to rotate the mode knob), and there's no exposure lock function. Both problems are solved by keeping the camera in manual mode.