Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2008, 06:55 AM   #46
Veteran Member

I thank all of you for your input. The Super Program is an interesting idea. I had one a couple of years ago, and, while it is a nice camera, I am not disappointed that I have sold it. While it has a decent viewfinder, its magnification is significantly lower than that of the ME Super (0.82x vs. 0.95x in the ME Super). I suppose I will work on finding an ME Super in nice shape...and will hopefully be able to avoid eBay.

Last edited by zx-m; 06-19-2008 at 06:55 AM. Reason: typo
06-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #47
Veteran Member

I didn't realize there was that big of a difference in the viewfinder, that's good to know. Guess I'll stick with the me super unless there is a killer deal to be had.
06-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can forego manual control a nice ME can be had for far less than an ME Super.
I was skeptical at first but with use I found the simplified operation quite freeing...

Chris
06-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
perhaps, I do not understand my ME SUPER, because I just don't like it. I know it has to be me, because it gets such high praise from those who have them. Perhaps I need to read the manual and learn how to use it.

06-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Javier: I agree--looking over the manual is a good idea.

Chris: I have been considering exactly what you have suggested--I like the lower price of the ME. Could you explain what is "freeing" about using the ME? I gather that it is mostly in regard to AE, but I am so use to manipulating my ZX-M and Spot F--using the speed knob and aperture ring--that I had been thinking the ME might end up being "culture shock" for me.
06-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
Javier: I agree--looking over the manual is a good idea.
I will go ahead and do that and come back with some questions.
06-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Before the ME I used manual exposure cameras almost exclusively.
Now I find less time spent fiddling with controls to get every exposure
"spot on" gives me more time to concentrate on composition.

The ME's autoexposure yields perfect exposure ~90% of the time.
For the rest I can use the +/- 2 stops exposure compensation dial,
change ISO film speed setting or let (negative) film latitude cover it.

Chris

06-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #53
Veteran Member

With all this K1OOO talk, i hope u don't mind me posting up my baby. Is she not a sexy thing? Really, I love this body...As for this sears lens, I just bought it and I must say, I am very happy with it. Sharp and clear.

06-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All but the last Sears 50mm K-mount lenses were made by Ricoh and sold with Sears-badged Ricoh SLRs.
Other focal lengths were not made by Ricoh.

Indeed they are excellent, as are most XR Rikenon and Rikenon P lenses.

Chris
06-19-2008, 11:28 PM   #55

From a personal perspective (I have both cameras) I prefer the K1000 or KX over the ME. Don't get me wrong, the ME Super is a great camera. I like the viewfinder, size and bulk over the ME. being a "manual" kind of guy, I perfer the KX over the excellent MX.

A lot has to do with which is right for you, either camera, in good condition, will do an excellent job within their a accustomed use.

If you don't have "long ears" like I do, I challenge you to learn either system and learn photography from simpler terms than digital.

Cheers,
Bob
06-20-2008, 06:48 AM   #56
Veteran Member

I thank you for your comments, Bob. I agree: all are fine cameras.

Digital? What is that?
06-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I never noticed that the K1OOO is so much larger that the ME SUPER.
06-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Javier: The ME Super is a compact SLR. I just picked one up on eBay...it seems like I got a good deal, too (I am somewhat surprised).
06-20-2008, 04:31 PM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
FWIW I love my Pentax ME (original, not "Super").
Its simplicity appeals to me in a way not unlike the K1000.
BTW it too has a big bright screen...

Chris
I have several cameras but my ME is my favorite. I love its big bright focusing screen and the very very accurate light meter which makes the lack of a manual mode less of a problem. The best feature of the ME is its quietness and lack of vibration. The ME is, arguably, the quietest film SLR ever made with an extremely low vibration level. It's much quieter and smoother than the K1000, which is pretty average in that respect. It's even quieter than the famed Olympus OM-1, which is a great camera.

The ME-Super and the Super-A (or Super Program) are also very quiet but the plain ME is the champion.

The ME also has a PC-socket, which allows off-camera flash without using an adaptor. It has a self-timer. It can use a motor drive (or winder). The K1000 has none of these things.

BTW. The Spotmatic F is more like a KM than a K1000 because of the missing features of the K1000. I agree with the suggestions that a KM or K2 would be a better choice than the K1000.

All that said, any of the mentioned cameras would be a good choice.
06-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Interesting comments, djohnfot. I had heard that the ME and ME Super are quiet. You mention some other cameras...would you know how the Canon A1 would compare? I ask because I like the features of the A1 body (and the build quality seems good, too), and am thinking that, since I have so many M42 lenses, I might pick up an A1, as I would be able to use all of these lenses with an adapter.

Glen